Humble pie is sometimes good | Syracusefan.com

Humble pie is sometimes good

The last two weeks have me a little concerned. Are the offensive hiccups something that will get cleaned up and let us be explosive or will this be an offense that shows promising signs and then sputters all year.

Last edited:
The last two weeks have me a little concerned. Are the offensive hiccups something that will get cleaned up and let us be explosive or is an offense that shows promising signs and then sputters what we'll have all year.

People are going to figure us out and we have to adjust. The truth is we dont have a QB or WR group who really threatens to take the top of the defense. That means you can pack the box on us. That makes it more difficult to run and throw. I am not sure there is a great solution but if there is one, I think Anae will find it.

The good news is we should be 5-0 and need only one more win for bowl eligibility. 8 wins would be a fantastic season. Its all about building towards sustained success and elevating ourselves to clear number 2 team in NE behind PSU

People are going to figure us out and we have to adjust. The truth is we dont have a QB or WR group who really threatens to take the top of the defense. That means you can pack the box on us. That makes it more difficult to run and throw. I am not sure there is a great solution but if there is one, I think Anae will find it.
We're not gonna air raid it, but we're still passing it better than last year. There should be more room than last year.

To be fair. UVA hadn't looked even average coming into the game. Illinois stomped them by 3 TDs and they almost lost to ODU at home
do you watch those games or just go by the scores? they dominated OD just didnt score. Ill they played about the same game as vs us on offense. . But Ill was able to run the ball and put it away.

Ill won 24-3 we were up 16-0. About the same game had we scored just 1 more Td in the first and not a FG.

The good news is we should be 5-0 and need only one more win for bowl eligibility. 8 wins would be a fantastic season. Its all about building towards sustained success and elevating ourselves to clear number 2 team in NE behind PSU
the last 2 games they were not stacking the box which is the issue.

I thought Cuse would cover. They should have been up 28-0 at half because Virginia could not do anything. Unfortunately, they let Virginia hang around by not putting the ball in the end zone, knucklehead turnovers and penalties.

If you clean up the turnovers & penalties, then it’s a blowout. Syracuse was more talented, but just had too many mental mistakes.

I thought Cuse would cover. They should have been up 28-0 at half because Virginia could not do anything. Unfortunately, they let Virginia hang around by not putting the ball in the end zone, knucklehead turnovers and penalties.

If you clean up the turnovers & penalties, then it’s a blowout. Syracuse was more talented, but just had too many mental mistakes.
I think the Jackson fumble was the worst of them all.

That was such a weak ass fumble.

He has regressed so much and plays mentally shook.

His lack of effort to push for a first down is all I needed to see on that

Virginia was not good. I can’t believe Armstrong (first game watching him) was able to put up the numbers he did last year. He wasn’t that good at all. We killed ourselves with pre procedure penalties and 4 turnovers in there and own territory. We completely dominated them and tried to give them the game.

Honestly am amazed we were able to win. And that is what gives me confidence. That is about the worst I have seen us play and still win. Tucker ain’t right, but shrader really struggled. A lot of the shots they showed zoomed out; there were a lot of guys open and he just was not seeing them. Redzone is a huge issue.

I also was extremely nervous on the last FG when shrader took the sack on second down. They never mentioned it on the broadcast but our holder was ejected earlier in the game and that could have been extremely bad news. A holder is a big time influence on the FG. I did not feel confident.

do you watch those games or just go by the scores? they dominated OD just didnt score. Ill they played about the same game as vs us on offense. . But Ill was able to run the ball and put it away.

Ill won 24-3 we were up 16-0. About the same game had we scored just 1 more Td in the first and not a FG.
What does this even mean? In fantasy land they stomped ODU and this game looked exactly like the Illinois game? What are you even talking about?

We have plenty to fix on offense and then have to cross our fingers with the health of our D because with the exception of the 4th quarter vs Purdue they have been very good. DL is obviously the big worry on that side

they did stomp ODU.. they went up and down the field, they turned it over and found ways not to score and keep a team that had no offense in the game..

As I've settled into reality today, I truly believe the first half yesterday is much more indicative of the team we have than the second half. The fact that we were able to turn the ball over 4 times to a P5 team and still win is not something most Syracuse teams have been capable of recently.

Last edited:
Not saying weve been acting too cocky but its good to know there is still a lot of room for improvement.

My dream, as an SU fan and a Mets fan, is to become cocky about my team and stay there for a while. All the years have trained me to expect the worst and see the good times as fleeting false positives.

I want to BRAG!!!!

The first two games had me believing that anything is possible for this team and that our future opponents better watch out! After these last two games I feel lucky we are 4-0 rather than 2-2 and am starting to dread what our future opponents might do to us. In other words, back to normal.

UVA has been playing poorly, we tried to hand them the game, let’s face it. 4 turnovers, a ton of penalties, 6 sacks allowed, no run game, bad clock management/play calling on our winning drive.
My concern is that some of those things may not be anomalies. I think the turnovers are because it's the first game we've had them. The penalties, oline play, and run game are becoming reoccurring.

My concern is that some of those things may not be anomalies. I think the turnovers are because it's the first game we've had them. The penalties, oline play, and run game are becoming reoccurring.

We could have had them vs. Purdue but got bailed out by penalties.

Last edited:
Syracuse is a better team than last year.
Shrader has played better than last year. Granted some games, very similar to, but some games WAY better than last year.
Tucker is Tucker. He’s going to get his yards.
Gadsden is better than any WR last year. And some of the other guys are contributing more too.
The pass blocking is better. The run blocking is not, but will improve.
The defense has been better all around.
The kicking and punting have been WAY better than last year.
Special teams as a whole has been better.
The coaching has been better.
More fans are excited, which is always good.

So…. Why shouldn’t fans be excited and even positive - even if a little unrealistically. We were a 5-7 team last year that was a couple plays away from a bowl game and maybe even a 7-5 season. And this year’s team is better. So if the fans are a little overly enthusiastic, I’m okay with it.

I think the Jackson fumble was the worst of them all.

That was such a weak ass fumble.

He has regressed so much and plays mentally shook.

His lack of effort to push for a first down is all I needed to see on that
The reverse was jarring it was to weak

Virginia was not good. I can’t believe Armstrong (first game watching him) was able to put up the numbers he did last year. He wasn’t that good at all. We killed ourselves with pre procedure penalties and 4 turnovers in there and own territory. We completely dominated them and tried to give them the game.

Honestly am amazed we were able to win. And that is what gives me confidence. That is about the worst I have seen us play and still win. Tucker ain’t right, but shrader really struggled. A lot of the shots they showed zoomed out; there were a lot of guys open and he just was not seeing them. Redzone is a huge issue.

I also was extremely nervous on the last FG when shrader took the sack on second down. They never mentioned it on the broadcast but our holder was ejected earlier in the game and that could have been extremely bad news. A holder is a big time influence on the FG. I did not feel confident.
We do have some things to clear up, but red zone isn't one of them. We lead the country in red zone efficiency. I believe going into last nights game, we were a perfect 11/11, and I think we're still perfect. I don't remember any empty trips last night. Everyone wants a touchdown every time, but coming away with a score, every time, is big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom