Hungry Chucks is back | Syracusefan.com

Hungry Chucks is back

“What will be different in the new Hungry Chuck’s is the menu. Theobald plans to continue a “pub” menu for game days and other high-volume times, but the regular menu will feature pastas, noodle dishes and a chocolate station.”

Okay. That’s not Chucks. Why not add a granola bar instead?

The SU campus needs a Hungry Chucks. Now it will again. All is right with the universe.

Dead night, cheese fries, pinball, 5 cent drafts on Sunday night, Thursday 2 for one pitchers, Saturday afternoon elephant walks, bathroom graffiti…

Figuring out the happy hour stamp was the plastic spool from an adding machine roll of paper and stamping everyone in the frats hand so we could jump the line every Friday.

Chucks can never be brought back to life anywhere but the basement

Hungry Charley's played a starring role in what might have been the night that I got drunker than I'd ever been--and quite possibly the drunkest I've ever been in my life.

We'd gone to Liquor Square (drinking age was 18 when I went to SU). I bought something called Frooty Wine--first bottle was 99 cents, you got the second bottle for a penny. (I'm not making this up.) So, we're smoking some reefer, quaffing our Frooty, when a couple of friends come in, say it's one of our friends' birthday, let's go to Hungry Charley's.

We drank a pitcher of sangria and two pitchers of dark beer. I'm feeling great. We get back to Lawrinson. My roomie (great guy) had had a first date with a really nice girl, I go in the room, they offer me some champagne, which I accept, I head out to the lounge and--I'm not feeling so great.

I stagger into the kitchenette. Anticipating the inevitable, one of my friends gets me a little trash can. Unfortunately, it was a little trash can where you had to step on the pedal for the lid to pop up. I was totally incapable of executing that maneuver.

Which is all I can remember until I popped awake sometime around 4 am. My white t-shirt was now purple-colored, and all the sheets and blankets were gone--turns out they had been moved to the stairwell.

Also turns out I had puked all over my roomie's and his date's suede jackets. I think I paid for the dry cleaning. I know I meant to.

One thing about Hungry Charley's--you never ran the risk of getting flagged there...

Unless you guys are planning on going back to school, none of the current students have any idea what Hungry Charlie’s was.

It will be interesting to see if it can recreate its popularity.
Hungry Charlie's was after my time, but it sounds like The Orange was in the '60s when the legal drinking age was 18.

Hungry Charley's played a starring role in what might have been the night that I got drunker than I'd ever been--and quite possibly the drunkest I've ever been in my life.

We'd gone to Liquor Square (drinking age was 18 when I went to SU). I bought something called Frooty Wine--first bottle was 99 cents, you got the second bottle for a penny. (I'm not making this up.) So, we're smoking some reefer, quaffing our Frooty, when a couple of friends come in, say it's one of our friends' birthday, let's go to Hungry Charley's.

We drank a pitcher of sangria and two pitchers of dark beer. I'm feeling great. We get back to Lawrinson. My roomie (great guy) had had a first date with a really nice girl, I go in the room, they offer me some champagne, which I accept, I head out to the lounge and--I'm not feeling so great.

I stagger into the kitchenette. Anticipating the inevitable, one of my friends gets me a little trash can. Unfortunately, it was a little trash can where you had to step on the pedal for the lid to pop up. I was totally incapable of executing that maneuver.

Which is all I can remember until I popped awake sometime around 4 am. My white t-shirt was now purple-colored, and all the sheets and blankets were gone--turns out they had been moved to the stairwell.

Also turns out I had puked all over my roomie's and his date's suede jackets. I think I paid for the dry cleaning. I know I meant to.

One thing about Hungry Charley's--you never ran the risk of getting flagged there...
I can feel that hangover just reading that. Brutal

Unless you guys are planning on going back to school, none of the current students have any idea what Hungry Charlie’s was.

It will be interesting to see if it can recreate its popularity.
CBA049B2-F722-4E54-A328-97CAF5AD6941.jpeg

How about the Orange grove or East LA or whatever it’s call we now?

Hungry Charley's was one of my favorite jobs. I started working there on Christmas Eve in 1974 or 1975 I think. I got to make Sangria, transport kegs in a van from downtown, make Hungries, bus tables, and wash dishes. Anthony was the manager while I was there. Corky and Anthony are the two I remember best. Marc as well. I think that's how he spelled his name but it's been a while. I hope they're well no matter where they are. Cool place to work and play. I learned a lot there that has served me well. It's not the same without the basement.

Last edited: