Hunt separating himself | Syracusefan.com

Hunt separating himself

CbusCuse

All Conference
Interesting. Orangeyes has a link to this in his Sunday articles. Has Schafer stated anything similar to this leading us to believe he thought Hunt was starting to pull away?

"All three of them got equal opportunities and we moved them up and down between the first and second groups and that’s when you saw a little separation between Terrel and the othertwo2 guys."

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/55713/scott-shafer-talks-syracuse-qbs

I know I thought that and most fans thought that based almost solely on what was seen at the spring game in an uneven setting. Just thought it was interesting to hear Shafer state what he did. I don't remember him declaring anyone in the lead but I may be wrong. My memory isn't the best.

Just the fact that Hunt played the spring game with the 1's was evidence enough that the staff felt he was the one the separate from the pack. Had it been a closer competition, they probably would have split up the 1st team snaps up to give each guy a fairer chance.

From what I read Hunt can move, is accurate and can throw the long ball. He seems very promising. Would love to hear informed opinions from those who have actually seen him in action.

A couple coaches, including Shafer and McDonald, mentioned Hunt being ahead when asked. They didn't make a big deal about it and have clearly said they don't have their starter yet.

I know I thought that and most fans thought that based almost solely on what was seen at the spring game in an uneven setting. Just thought it was interesting to hear Shafer state what he did. I don't remember him declaring anyone in the lead but I may be wrong. My memory isn't the best.

A couple coaches, including Shafer and McDonald, mentioned Hunt being ahead when asked. They didn't make a big deal about it and have clearly said they don't have their starter yet.

That is because IMHO the starter isn't on campus yet.

Meaning, I assume, that the starter is on his way from Oklahoma. I've only seen Hunt from the spring game, and would be happy if Allen wins the job. I know it was only a scrimmage and there's still a long way to go, but I was hoping for more. I guess it comes down to who can hand it off to Jerome the best!

I guess it comes down to who can hand it off to Jerome the best!
The QB needs to be able to do more than that, or at least be able throw the ball well enough to make it a possible threat. Anything less than that and it'll be 8+ defenders in the box. We've all seen how well that works.

Meaning, I assume, that the starter is on his way from Oklahoma. I've only seen Hunt from the spring game, and would be happy if Allen wins the job. I know it was only a scrimmage and there's still a long way to go, but I was hoping for more. I guess it comes down to who can hand it off to Jerome the best!

My opinion only, but I don't see that as an indictment of Hunt, either. If Hunt fends off the challenge from Allen, disco. And if Allen comes in and gives us a solid starter for 1 year, then that only gives Hunt an entire extra year to learn the offense, get some PT this year, etc. before taking over the reins for his final two seasons of eligibility. Which ultimately might be for the best long term.

My opinion only, but I don't see that as an indictment of Hunt, either. If Hunt fends off the challenge from Allen, disco. And if Allen comes in and gives us a solid starter for 1 year, then that only gives Hunt an entire extra year to learn the offense, get some PT this year, etc. before taking over the reins for his final two seasons of eligibility. Which ultimately might be for the best long term.
Allen is Shafer's version of Paulus. Except that Allen kept playing QB and is 4" taller and 30lb larger. Allen will get SU to a bowl game. Syracuse will get Allen to a minicamp. Win-Win.

Get Hunt in for a couple of series per game, where possible/appropriate. He'll have two full years play after that. One of the incoming freshman will likely get two years after that. If one of the freshmen gets 3, or 4, years... it means that the talent level has improved.

Let's go, Orange!!

Allen is Shafer's version of Paulus. Except that Allen kept playing QB and is 4" taller and 30lb larger. Allen will get SU to a bowl game. Syracuse will get Allen to a minicamp. Win-Win.

Get Hunt in for a couple of series per game, where possible/appropriate. He'll have two full years play after that. One of the incoming freshman will likely get two years after that. If one of the freshmen gets 3, or 4, years... it means that the talent level has improved.

Let's go, Orange!!

I agree that it'd be great if Hunt gets some snaps even if Allen becomes starter, but I would be careful about tying that to his development in any way. Nassib ended up being a 3rd rd NFL pick and he got a redshirt year and meaningful snaps as a redshirt frosh. Yet he still struggled enough that there was a contingent here that weren't convinced he could even play all that well vs. BE competition, much less be drafted as a senior. My point is only that snaps are nice but a couple dozen series next year won't inherently make Hunt any more or less ready in '14.

Anybody indicting Hunt after a spring game is insane (not saying the other poster was doing that). I covered the UMD spring game for four years. I never saw that much out of anyone that ended up becoming a stud, but the walkons and guys who never saw the field (Akil Patterson) dominated those games. Point being that there's a pretty good chance that the format had something to do with it. Will Hunt be good or bad? I have no idea, but people shouldn't fret (or celebrate, for that matter) over what they saw on a saturday in april.

My point is only that snaps are nice but a couple dozen series next year won't inherently make Hunt any more or less ready in '14.
Agreed. The only reason for those snaps (other than having opponents practice for something "different"), is to give the player confidence, in case he's thrown to the lions earlier than expected. It worked out OK for Ryan Nassib as well as Brian Brohm.

I agree that it'd be great if Hunt gets some snaps even if Allen becomes starter, but I would be careful about tying that to his development in any way. Nassib ended up being a 3rd rd NFL pick and he got a redshirt year and meaningful snaps as a redshirt frosh. Yet he still struggled enough that there was a contingent here that weren't convinced he could even play all that well vs. BE competition, much less be drafted as a senior. My point is only that snaps are nice but a couple dozen series next year won't inherently make Hunt any more or less ready in '14.
It would be more helpful to his development than the amount of game exposure Loeb got last year.

Qb transition years have been pretty make or break for us in recent memory. I just hope that whoever "the guy" is, he is able to be productive enough to keep the defenses honest so that our rb's will have lanes to run in.

It would be more helpful to his development than the amount of game exposure Loeb got last year.

I don't know. I agree that experience counts for something but how many snaps was Loeb really going to get and would it really have made him 'more developed'? At the end of the day you either have a player or you don't. You could've redshirted mcnabb or vick for three years and they would have walked onto the field ready to play.

I don't know, reps help but I'd also suggest they have to be meaningful consistent reps and Loeb wasn't getting that last year given how good nassib was and how close many of our games were.

Let's go, Orange!!

Hunt has 50-60 lbs on Paulus. GP was 180 lbs soaking wet vs ~230 for Allen who has been doing football weight training at OU for 4 years.

it is important for this team to have a clear cut #2.

glad to see hunt stepping up, he will be counted on in '14.

Oh Lord

Anybody indicting Hunt after a spring game is insane (not saying the other poster was doing that). I covered the UMD spring game for four years. I never saw that much out of anyone that ended up becoming a stud, but the walkons and guys who never saw the field (Akil Patterson) dominated those games. Point being that there's a pretty good chance that the format had something to do with it. Will Hunt be good or bad? I have no idea, but people shouldn't fret (or celebrate, for that matter) over what they saw on a saturday in april.

It's almost as insane as those that are saying Allen is the starter.

It was 15 Spring Practices. It's a new staff. It's QBs who have never seen the field (essentially). Our staff would be nuts to (publicly or privately) name anyone the starter. Thankfully they're not nuts.

All 4 guys need to hit the weight room in the offseason, do the unsupervised workouts with the other players, then hit the real competition this summer.

I've said this all along that with McDonald's offense coming in, he wants someone who can be more active in the pocket for a variety of reasons. Hunt fits that mold more than Loeb. It is yet to be seen what happens when Allen gets here.

Either way, I'm happy for Hunt and looking forward to him getting another chance. Hopefully, he's learned his lesson.

Shafer was on College Sports on SiriusXM last week and brought up Hunt first when Brando asked about replacing Nassib. He threw in there about Loeb after, but he seemed to focus on Hunt.

Interesting. Orangeyes has a link to this in his Sunday articles. Has Schafer stated anything similar to this leading us to believe he thought Hunt was starting to pull away?

"All three of them got equal opportunities and we moved them up and down between the first and second groups and that’s when you saw a little separation between Terrel and the othertwo2 guys."

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/55713/scott-shafer-talks-syracuse-qbs
Considering that Drew Allen hasn't stepped foot on campus as a enrolled SU student as yet I think the Huntcharacterization is a bit premature unless SS already knows he wants a dual threat out there and is favoring Hunt in that role. I've always had a place in my heart for Terrel after is mother situation and that bit with the mall which I believe he knows was a ver bad moment's choice.

What I don't understand is how everyone feels that Allen will be "the" qb? Just because he was at a certain higher profile school, doesn't automatically make him the man here.

I didn't mean to come across as I was saying that Hunt sucks or anything like that. After Nassib being a known quantity for the last couple of years it's unsettling to have a known quantity at qb moving into the ACC. I have no preference as to who lines up behind center. Whomever can hand the ball off best and not throw picks gets my vote, regardless of who it is. I'm not Team Allen, or Team Hunt, but Team Orange.