I’m baffled... | Syracusefan.com

I’m baffled...

GENESEO1983

Walk On
Why the hell do they allow hand checking when it’s supposed to be a foul? These past 2 games the hand checking was out of control by both opponents. If anything, it’s ruining college basketball by denying the freedom of movement...it’s almost like playing 5 on 6!

Why the hell do they allow hand checking when it’s supposed to be a foul? These past 2 games the hand checking was out of control by both opponents. If anything, it’s ruining college basketball by denying the freedom of movement...it’s almost like playing 5 on 6!

even with all of that SU got the ball where they wanted

It happens in literally every single NCAA game, we don't get away with it because we don't do it, our defense isn't designed to be in a players shirt.

It happens in literally every single NCAA game, we don't get away with it because we don't do it, our defense isn't designed to be in a players shirt.
whats infuriating is that SU plays "clean"...they dont rely on grabbing etc...AND they get called for the smallest non-fouls somehow anyway.

they get mugged all game and end up in foul trouble when playing mostly clean...sure they do foul some but I cant believe some of those calls, especially in comparison to what the other teams have been doing these 2 games...and in the ACC where the southern schools seem to get the benefit. Actually think the ACC experience has prepared them for these slugfests...its what they have to deal with every conference game.

I was watching some other games...and not every team uses the WVU SDSU UVA PITT approach...a lot do...but some play straight up. somehow the refs just let it go if the team does it every play and they shouldnt.

whats infuriating is that SU plays "clean"...they dont rely on grabbing etc...AND they get called for the smallest non-fouls somehow anyway.

they get mugged all game and end up in foul trouble when playing mostly clean...sure they do foul some but I cant believe some of those calls, especially in comparison to what the other teams have been doing these 2 games...and in the ACC where the southern schools seem to get the benefit. Actually think the ACC experience has prepared them for these slugfests...its what they have to deal with every conference game.

I was watching some other games...and not every team uses the WVU SDSU UVA PITT approach...a lot do...but some play straight up. somehow the refs just let it go if the team does it every play and they shouldnt.
It's not that we play "clean" because we're just pillars of the community, we play that way because if we did do that and one guy gets beat our entire defense would break down and we would give up 100 points a game.

It's the Rick Pitino approach. Just aggressively defend/foul on every possession as they can't call a foul on every play...

I hate it so much, especially as we never benefit from it because of the zone. That said whenever teams super aggressively trap us up top and we find the open man for a dunk/3 an angel gets its wings.

The NBA legislated it out of the game...why can’t the NCAA? Basketball without hand checking is such a better product and allows a game to flow and allows the athletes do display their god given talents...
I watch the NBA from the time it starts until the last game ends, anybody who thinks that league is a glorified 3 point contest and not physical obviously hasn't watched a game in who knows how long.

I like to watch the off-ball play a lot. WVU's bigs were just mauling Marek and Jesse when we were on D. There were a few plays in a row in the 2nd half where they just pushed them out of the lane to clear it out for someone else to drive.
It was right out of Buzz Williams' Marquette playbook.

It's not that we play "clean" because we're just pillars of the community, we play that way because if we did do that and one guy gets beat our entire defense would break down and we would give up 100 points a game.
nah its that if SU grazes a player on d its a foul.

idk why but theres a stricter standard for SU on defense...its really weird some games.

It's the Rick Pitino approach. Just aggressively defend/foul on every possession as they can't call a foul on every play...
They wouldn't have to call a foul on every play. When everyone on the team in question had three fouls 10 or 15 minutes into the game, I think they'd probably change their style a bit. Shoot, even just call it every time it happens then walk over to the coach at the first media timeout and say, "This is how we're officiating, let your guys know or they're all going to foul out if they're going to try to hand check and play in their opponents' hip pocket all game long."

My main issue today was mostly stuff WVU did that wasn't called. The foul on Q driving was pretty ridiculous, and Marek's fourth didn't *have* to be called, but it was a foul. But Marek got held coming up to set a high ball screen, then tripped when he tried to roll off of it, and no call... He was just shoved out of the lane a few times on D, no call.

They wouldn't have to call a foul on every play. When everyone on the team in question had three fouls 10 or 15 minutes into the game, I think they'd probably change their style a bit. Shoot, even just call it every time it happens then walk over to the coach at the first media timeout and say, "This is how we're officiating, let your guys know or they're all going to foul out if they're going to try to hand check and play in their opponents' hip pocket all game long."

My main issue today was mostly stuff WVU did that wasn't called. The foul on Q driving was pretty ridiculous, and Marek's fourth didn't *have* to be called, but it was a foul. But Marek got held coming up to set a high ball screen, then tripped when he tried to roll off of it, and no call... He was just shoved out of the lane a few times on D, no call.

Sure. But at some point if feels "weird" for them to call so many fouls. I mean they are human after all and that is not how a "normal" basketball game looks. It is similar to Shaq in his prime. He got fouled on (almost) every single play, but it's just not natural to call them all.

Maybe if the NCAA came out and made a statement like "We are aware of this aggressive defense + undercalled fouling strategy and we will be monitoring it going forward" or some such.

Sure. But at some point if feels "weird" for them to call so many fouls. I mean they are human after all and that is not how a "normal" basketball game looks. It is similar to Shaq in his prime. He got fouled on (almost) every single play, but it's just not natural to call them all.

Maybe if the NCAA came out and made a statement like "We are aware of this aggressive defense + undercalled fouling strategy and we will be monitoring it going forward" or some such.
Yeah it's really the type of thing they need to do from the start of a season with an announcement.

The coaches don't want it called that tight - they tried it a few years back and by league play it was back to normal. If the coaches wanted it tightened up the refs would call it tighter.

I like to watch the off-ball play a lot. WVU's bigs were just mauling Marek and Jesse when we were on D. There were a few plays in a row in the 2nd half where they just pushed them out of the lane to clear it out for someone else to drive.
I definitely noticed that as well. The back up big (can't remember his name) was only in the game to bully our center in the zone. On most trips down the court it seemed like he never left the paint.

You may be a little biased.
sure...but how often do you ever see SU players handchecking? either called or not...i dont see it.

when they foul its almost always on accident OR obvious and intentional (usually to protect the basket)

JB teaches his bigs to purposely just keep their hands straight in the air...thats not the norm.

I think JB wants his guys to make as little contact as possible as a rule...

At the same time...it is clear as day that other coaches want their defenders to make as much contact as possible as a rule...

I guess maaaaybe it isn't anything malicious by the refs...but it isn't fair in the end...if 2 teams have such diametrically opposedphilosophies on defense to call them by the same standard. I reffed some in rec leagues before I know how hard it is to be fair...even at a low level of basketball...its a hard job the refs have...but it should be balanced and they shouldnt be the ones determining the outcome.

Time and again I see that the trailing team gets all the breaks from the refs...keep eyes on the game...I understand it but dont like it.

Last edited:
The coaches don't want it called that tight - they tried it a few years back and by league play it was back to normal. If the coaches wanted it tightened up the refs would call it tighter.
Yup. They've made good initial efforts, but have been terrible on the follow through.

I mean I'm probably in the minority here but I'm kind of old school and I love physical basketball and gritty defense. But like when Marek has to fight through a hold to set a high screen then gets tripped trying to roll off of it, that's gotta be called. That doesn't even stop the hand checking.

And grappling for position is one thing, but just shoving our center out of the way to create space, I mean, are we playing football now? Surely they can whistle that without preventing this entire style of play.

The other thing that bugs me is if they're riding our guards and hand checking and reaching in on every possession, and it gets called maybe 5 times in the game... And we have a guy hand check or reach in maybe 5 times in the game and it gets called 5 times, What?????

Those are the aspects that drive me nuts.

I watched that too. On one play, they showed us dribbling up court from the camera on the opponent's basket. In that view, just while walking the ball over half court, you could see Marek in the background in the paint. One dude (Culver I guess) had him in a full nelson to start with, then he left and another big dude came in and threw a full body block into MD's blind side. That was just 2 seconds of time. Went on the whole game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom