I’m begging you JB | Syracusefan.com

I’m begging you JB

Jasoncuse

2022 Iggy Winner: NCAA Tourament
Let this team push the tempo.

We SUCK in the half court, unless everybody is on from 3. When we pushed it tonight, not only did we get easy buckets, but not kept us in the game after that brutal start and we gained confidence that led to an all-around fine performance.

Put it in Tyus’ hands and let Frank be an off guard. We have to push the ball and try making things happen before settling into the half court. It won’t be rosy all the time, but man, it sure was fun watching SU pushing it for the first time in YEARS.

We SUCK in the half court, unless everybody is on from 3. When we pushed it tonight, not only did we get easy buckets, but not kept us in the game after that brutal start and we gained confidence that led to an all-around fine performance.

Put it in Tyus’ hands and let Frank be an off guard. We have to push the ball and try making things happen before settling into the half court. It won’t be rosy all the time, but man, it sure was fun watching SU pushing it for the first time in YEARS.

It was crazy - the players seemed engaged for almost 40 minutes. No sleepwalking.

OB even found some new ways to miss shots around the rim and I thought he exhausted that tank weeks ago!

Yea, Tyus at PG for an extended period of time wouldn’t be optimum. He’d have to score most of the points himself. In the presser JB said he doesn’t play PG, he just brings it up and goes himself. It’s fine in short stretches like tonight.

Two huge factors:

Young gets hurt. We’re not close otherwise.

Duke’s arrogance. They think they win playing how they want rather than scheming against us.

Thanks K.

It helps if you're playing a team that almost always pushes the tempo and is not great defensively. You'd see this style of basketball if they played Duke every night.

I don't often see if ever JB or any of the coaches saying to slow it down...JB is always giving the sign to push up court and I agree we don't have much of a "settled" offense....run and gun like Dinos football team

OITNF carrying over to the hard wood

JB's stated recently that he always wants to push the ball. Said he's not changed that in all the years he's coached. Also remember an article about Jalen this summer, where he was talking about spending a big part of practice pushing tempo. Some times you can, sometimes you can't.

JB said in a presser after one of the recent games that there will be teams we just won’t be able to push the ball against. He didn’t say who.

It helps if you're playing a team that almost always pushes the tempo and is not great defensively. You'd see this style of basketball if they played Duke every night.

I found it peculiar the Duke didn't zone us the entire night, especially after coming off that GT debacle Saturday night. Coach K is obviously a tremendous coach, but he didn't do his team any favors tonight by not implementing any zone, especially after Jones went down early to injury.

I am only assuming here, but I think he presumed his team would still out talent us and not be able to score enough against them even with their two lost stars out. It was a huge mistake in retrospect as Frank went on to have one of his better halves since he has been at SU, and Battle went off for nearly a career night. Big mistake by Coach K as we went on to score our highest output all season...even prior to the OT, where we had already tallied 88 points.

I found it peculiar the Duke didn't zone us the entire night, especially after coming off that GT debacle Saturday night. Coach K is obviously a tremendous coach, but he didn't do his team any favors tonight by not implementing any zone, especially after Jones went down early to injury.

I am only assuming here, but I think he presumed his team would still out talent us and not be able to score enough against them even with their two lost stars out. It was a huge mistake in retrospect as Frank went on to have one of his better halves since he has been at SU, and Battle went off for nearly a career night. Big mistake by Coach K as we went on to score our highest output all season...even prior to the OT, where we had already tallied 88 points.
Moronic they didn't try zone for a stretch. I guess just keep letting White and 90s boy band kid get blown by on defense..

Last edited:
JB's stated recently that he always wants to push the ball. Said he's not changed that in all the years he's coached. Also remember an article about Jalen this summer, where he was talking about spending a big part of practice pushing tempo. Some times you can, sometimes you can't.

When you play M2M you generally get defensive rebounds from blocking out your man, leading to an outlet pass then to a cutter. In 2-3 zone D there's almost no blocking out because we often front their 5 and the weakside wing is invariably outnumbered. And from there, rebounding is scrappy and scrambly, rarely leading to a clean outlet. That's what I see a lot, anyway (and I played that zone when I coached).

Moronic they didn't try zone for a stretch. I guess just keep letting White and 90s boy band kid getting blown by on defense..

Yes, moronic indeed, I was just attempting to be diplomatic in my "peculiar" remark. :)

When you play M2M you generally get defensive rebounds from blocking out your man, leading to an outlet pass then to a cutter. In 2-3 zone D there's almost no blocking out because we often front their 5 and the weakside wing is invariably outnumbered. And from there, rebounding is scrappy and scrambly, rarely leading to a clean outlet. That's what I see a lot, anyway (and I played that zone when I coached).
There's that, and he's mentioned getting steals and players not pushing it.

JB said in a presser after one of the recent games that there will be teams we just won’t be able to push the ball against. He didn’t say who.

Duke in the first 6 minutes of the game last night was such a team.

How many here would have scratched our eyes out if we lost at home to a heavy underdog while shooting 9 of 43 from 3 with a HUGE interior advantage in the form of Williamson. Meanwhile Barrett takes almost as many 3s at Williamson gets shots.

Bring back the '80's, just roll the ball out and let them play. Even after made baskets push the ball up the floor...much like UNC. Something good just might happen.

They scored 91 and we won the game. They need to transition over to OITNF. Forget recruiting to defense, you can still play a bend but don't break D. Recruit more offense and push tempo. Beat the other team down the court and score in transition. I'd rather lose 85 pt games then 54 pt slugfests.

How many here would have scratched our eyes out if we lost at home to a heavy underdog while shooting 9 of 43 from 3 with a HUGE interior advantage in the form of Williamson. Meanwhile Barrett takes almost as many 3s at Williamson gets shots.

As long as we're being hypothetical, losing two starters is not something we can withstand against anyone.

Two huge factors:

Young gets hurt. We’re not close otherwise.

Duke’s arrogance. They think they win playing how they want rather than scheming against us.

Thanks K.
Hmm, don't we do that too?

Yea, Tyus at PG for an extended period of time wouldn’t be optimum. He’d have to score most of the points himself. In the presser JB said he doesn’t play PG, he just brings it up and goes himself. It’s fine in short stretches like tonight.

I think that's part of the problem. On Chukwu's last dunk of the game, you can see Boeheim call Chukwu out to set a high screen for Battle, the defender doubles, and Battle doesn't even look to pass for the open dunk.

That said, you've gotta coach to your players' talents. If Tyus with the ball in his hands even for short stretches is more effective than our half-court offense, I'm willing to give it a try and sacrifice a little more ball movement.

Yeah I think last night confirmed we should be a little quicker to go to full court press when the team is in a rut.

My guess is down the stretch JB makes this adjustment.

Hes been used to winning pretty much everything at home and struggling on the road if I were JB I'd be pretty happy about us out of nowhere becoming absolute road warriors and beasts away from the Dome. Fixing home struggles are a little easier and going to the press is a good way to do this. Could snap a guy like Jalen out of his funk he looks worse right now than Howard Washington pre injury last year.

I don't often see if ever JB or any of the coaches saying to slow it down...JB is always giving the sign to push up court and I agree we don't have much of a "settled" offense...run and gun like Dinos football team

OITNF carrying over to the hard wood

Tyus took over large parts of the game running in transition and scoring (seemingly at will.).

JB has said we're not a running team, but Tyus just flipped that can over this game because transition was there for the taking.

He saw Duke was not hustling when the ball turned over and he crushed them for it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom