I’m the biggest Jesse fan on Earth, but | Syracusefan.com

I’m the biggest Jesse fan on Earth, but

Cuse_NYC

Starter
What was up with his finishing yesterday? The guards got him the ball in great positions. He usually elevates over the defender to finish off the glass, or with a baby hook. Yesterday he was strangely making himself small and had trouble finishing. Even on the glass. He usually soars above people. He was hardly leaving the ground and giving up boards to Basile… I know stat wise the past few games haven’t been his best, but he has been doubled and has not had the ball in the best spots. This was the first time he looked off to me. I think the win and the announcers hyping him up sort of disguised this. Thoughts?

Agree he seemed to be a bit off yesterday and going back a couple of games. The other difference is he is not picking up the often called over the back foul. I had anticipated with VT's front line he would be in foul trouble quickly. Picking up fouls and his trouble finishing shots close in seem unrelated. Just would like to see the "old" Jesse return to a higher scoring efficency.

What was up with his finishing yesterday? The guards got him the ball in great positions. He usually elevates over the defender to finish off the glass, or with a baby hook. Yesterday he was strangely making himself small and had trouble finishing. Even on the glass. He usually soars above people. He was hardly leaving the ground and giving up boards to Basile… I know stat wise the past few games haven’t been his best, but he has been doubled and has not had the ball in the best spots. This was the first time he looked off to me. I think the win and the announcers hyping him up sort of disguised this. Thoughts?
You can tell something was bothering him. Maybe the opposing center is very good.

He missed a number of bunnies, that's for sure.

Still, when most SU guys have an off game, they give us nothing. Jesse scored 13, got 9 boards, and a "season high for any SU player" 6 assists. I'm not going to microanalyze his total game too much. We won. Hopefully, he will go up stronger next game.

Agree he seemed to be a bit off yesterday and going back a couple of games. The other difference is he is not picking up the often called over the back foul. I had anticipated with VT's front line he would be in foul trouble quickly. Picking up fouls and his trouble finishing shots close in seem unrelated. Just would like to see the "old" Jesse return to a higher scoring efficency.
Good point

He appears to have a shoulder or upper arm injury, judging from the brace under his jersey. It also looked like he was trying to create additional space from his defender, almost like he was boxing out with the ball.

Our guards look to shoot first and ask questions later. Jesse on many occasions is left with scraps. Cuse has no offense except one on one scenarios.

Some days you just miss. Even the bunnies.

He’s not jumping. He’s just flipping the ball towards the rim.
Who is coaching him. Seems it is all about the guards these days. Where are we without Jess? He draws attention away from the guards.

He's had four straight games where he shot under .500 from the field which is very unusual for him.
hes slumping...the opposing centers have been very physical with him in some of the games...perhaps his strength isnt as strong as it has been due to injury...he came into the season wearing a shoulder brace and i thought I heard something about some injury over the summer but cant remember

also, it makes sense there is less perimeter shooting so defenses can double...but the offense is better this year...so that shouldn't really be an issue in the abstract

hes slumping...the opposing centers have been very physical with him in some of the games...perhaps his strength isnt as strong as it has been due to injury...he came into the season wearing a shoulder brace and i thought I heard something about some injury over the summer but cant remember

also, it makes sense there is less perimeter shooting so defenses can double...but the offense is better this year...so that shouldn't really be an issue in the abstract
Early in the year he was getting a lot lobs and easy pick and rolls. That’s what he’s effective doing. Posting up against guys 250 lbs. is a problem for him. He needs to score on the move, not posting up. I would like to see him catch it in the post and square up and face the basket. He can make eight foot jumpers. It’s also easier to pass after facing up. I said last week SU needs to take advantage of Jesse’s passing.

Early in the year he was getting a lot lobs and easy pick and rolls. That’s what he’s effective doing. Posting up against guys 250 lbs. is a problem for him. He needs to score on the move, not posting up. I would like to see him catch it in the post and square up and face the basket. He can make eight foot jumpers. It’s also easier to pass after facing up. I said last week SU needs to take advantage of Jesse’s passing.
I agree, and I think if Maliq sees more time, better passing will begin to happen as we’re already seeing signs of good passing between them.

We need to work on plays that Jesse can execute in instances like at UVa where they doubled him immediately. Also when he comes up against extremely physical centers like a Bacat.

I didn’t realize that Jesse is in the top ten in the nation in both rebounding and blocks. And tops in the conference in both of these stats. If we can get him to pass better like you said, he will become a real force.

He used to have great hands/hand technique/dexterity. Precision. He now looks like he’s always just trying to get the ball up near the rim and hope. Part of that is balance and strength. He’s not going up strong, not going toward the rim—playing with too much finesse and not enough power. Maybe he’s always being fouled low, and his legs aren’t letting him keep his arms in the right positions.

Some of it is the defense but a lot is just Jesse.

To keep harping on the same idea: I mean, who on the staff can realistically be counted on to teach a drop step? It’s one thing to know what one is. It’s another thing to understand the nuances that lead to executing it against a competitive defender. Bothers me, also, that there doesn’t seem to be any semblance of a plan to help him— either by getting him in spots where he can execute, or diversifying his game. A face-up 8-footer? That’s basic. When was the last time we had a center who actually shot facing the rim? Everything is made more difficult by the scheme or lack thereof.

He used to have great hands/hand technique/dexterity. Precision. He now looks like he’s always just trying to get the ball up near the rim and hope. Part of that is balance and strength. He’s not going up strong, not going toward the rim—playing with too much finesse and not enough power. Maybe he’s always being fouled low, and his legs aren’t letting him keep his arms in the right positions.

Some of it is the defense but a lot is just Jesse.

To keep harping on the same idea: I mean, who on the staff can realistically be counted on to teach a drop step? It’s one thing to know what one is. It’s another thing to understand the nuances that lead to executing it against a competitive defender. Bothers me, also, that there doesn’t seem to be any semblance of a plan to help him— either by getting him in spots where he can execute, or diversifying his game. A face-up 8-footer? That’s basic. When was the last time we had a center who actually shot facing the rim? Everything is made more difficult by the scheme or lack thereof.
Totally agree with everything. Especially his always facing away from the basket and lack of facing up for short shots. I mentioned last season that Jesse would be a hot nba prospect if he was taught and allowed to shoot 10 foot shots. What a waste of talent that can add another element to this team. Big men are second class citizens on this team. Just don’t get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom