I am giving this team one more shot | Syracusefan.com

I am giving this team one more shot

people make it sound like they can only root for a team if they are doing well. What are the other 320 teams fans supposed to do?

I could care less where they are ranked.

This huge assumption well just get a new coach because we have a history. It isnt that simple.. Look at Schools like UNC/Kent/Ind/UCLA.. all with much more bball history than us and rolled thru a lot of coaches the last 20-30 yrs with down seasons..

We may find out the JB is the best we can get and it gets far worse than having a team that can compete without being elite.

people make it sound like they can only root for a team if they are doing well. What are the other 320 teams fans supposed to do?

This huge assumption well just get a new coach because we have a history. It isnt that simple.. Look at Schools like UNC/Kent/Ind/UCLA.. all with much more bball history than us and rolled thru a lot of coaches the last 20-30 yrs with down seasons..

We may find out the JB is the best we can get and it gets far worse than having a team that can compete without being elite.
And other people make it sound like you are required to root for a team that looks like a dysfunctional mess.

SU is in my blood. It has been since I was about 10. But I can't blame anyone for choosing to spend their time doing other things instead of watching this team play.

I've made it through 20+ years of poor to mediocre Bills football...I can wait this out as well. :D
Can't have anything nice. Bills finally got good last few years and Cuse goes in the toilet. Cuse bball has been the only good team that I've rooted for in the past 20 years. Bills, Sabres and Cuse Football have all pretty much been garbage besides a 3 or 4 year run for the Sabres around 2007.

when poor effort and strategy and (nepotism/ego??) are the issues...its more than only rooting for the team if they are doing well.

After Dean Smith UNC went to two final fours under Guth. Then they hired Doherty where they had two objectively bad seasons, and a season where they spent part of the year ranked #1. Then they hired Roy Williams.

Kentucky hired Gillespie who turned out to be a disaster, then under Calipari in twelve seasons went to three final fours(11, 14, and 15) and won a title(12). He’s also been to the elite 8 twice (10, 19 and 17) and the sweet 16 once (2016). He’s had some down years (2013 and this trash fire) but it’s not his fault UK fans are psychotic.

Not much to say about UCLA and IU but if we have a trajectory like UK and UNC I would not mind.

because I want them to be good, but them not being good is not a reason for me to not watch or care what happens.. If it was, there would be no SU football fans at all. Its a sport, I can watch a game we lose by 30 and still enjoy the good and the bad of the game. I am a fan of the team not the result.

I am fine with the debates on the faults of the team. the board rips Rutgers fans all the time because of front runners who jumped on their band wagon when they peaked.. But these types of comments are exactly what people laugh at when its other teams.. We are only gonna watch and be happy when they are good.

So now the idea is unless we are top 10-20 quality its a failed product no worthy of time..

We have a dome that can seat 30k plus for a hoops game. We don't even put 22k in there unless we have a program that has the reputation that makes us a can't miss event.

The impact of a key athletic program for over 40 years sinking to being an afterthought is huge. You will lose revenue all over the place as a result. Middling programs have die hards just like we have here. That said, you start losing the commitment of even die hards the longer you spend in no man's land (mediocrity/irrelevance).

I don't think SU can afford to spend the money they do with one of the flagship attractions disappearing. LAX is awesome but it isn't pulling in hoops revenue. Fball returning would be huge and maybe we get there which would help a lot but to expect having the kind of impact year over year of hoops is unrealistic until there is a long enough period of evidence. So back to hoops, a Dome that brings 15k a game or less and sells half as much apparel is unacceptable for more than just failing to meet what fans want to see.

What is already happening is that those of us who wouldn't miss a game or wouldn't miss the 3-5 games we could make are not bothered by doing something else. We buy fewer SU items over time. We watch fewer games simply watching when convenient. There is nothing wrong with programs who that is who they are. We haven't been such a program and thus falling to that would have major long term impacts.

Furthermore, there used to be like 10 angry skeptical posters on here. After the past 6 years they outnumber the optimists by a good margin.

I still watched from 06-08 because I knew there was hope we would be better in the future. I don’t really see that in 2021.

I will never not follow the teams but I’m not going to make appointment viewing for a perenial
18-12 product.

Been confused by these arguments. They were 7th, 8th and 12th in the final coaches poll last year. The last time that we were ranked as high as 12 during a season was in...2013.
Nope. We were #1 in all of college basketball in Feb. 2014 and were in the top 10 most of that season.

They need 2 shots to be able to live in an assisted living facility.

I am watching the NC state game... If I don't see a total team effort starting at the top down then I'm out for the rest of this year... It's been a frustrating ride and I'm at my rope's end...
This teams average at best. We have slow , unathletic guards who are streaky shooters that are off more than they are on. And shooting is their strong point. We have players with higher ceilings that ride the bench (woody,Kadary, braswell) This teams going nowhere, theres too many flaws to succeed. If we finish above .500 that’s a winning season and a mediocre accomplishment at best.

I don't resonate with the OP much -- Syracuse sports are my passion, so I'm going to watch no matter what. And unlike the OP, I'm resigned to what we're seeing out there, and past the point where being a fan gets in the way of being objective about the root causes of the issues, and what it will take to get things moving in the right direction.

When we were hit with the sanctions, the compromised depth, missing on a few key recruits, several guys not panning out as we'd hoped, and injuries really harmed us. And these issues in tandem were all exacerbated by the lack of depth brought on by being down several scholarships. BUT I was willing to give JB the benefit of the doubt, given the depth constraints -- knowing that the unprecedently harsh NCAA penalties were doing what they were intended [i.e., harming us]. I figured that once that stuff was behind us, JB would step it up and things would get back on track.

What doesn't sit well with me is that several seasons later, we're still dealing with a team / roster that has several flaws, and some of the problems we're having [i.e., piss poor defense, one dimensional offense, having to play too many players too many minutes, lack of athleticism, inability for key players to create their own shot, too much iso, etc.] are basically due to him being stubborn, and making the least athletic player in our lineup the main focal point of the offensive system. I'm even more frustrated that we have a true lead guard on the team for the first time in 6+ years, and he's being parked on the bench in favor of the two least efficient offensive guards in recent memory.

We're shooting ourselves in the foot, and JB stays the course. He deserves the criticism he's getting from a growing segment of the fanbase, IMO, because sanctions aren't the issue anymore, the problems are primarily self-inflicted.

Last edited:
Well I would propose that in the case of one of our guards, the REAL issue is TOO MANY courses.
No it appears there is only 1 course. JB never deviates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom