I am terrified of the first 8 minutes of this game. | Syracusefan.com

I am terrified of the first 8 minutes of this game.

Dcuse

All Conference
Our zone has come out stiff,flat and peg leg slow for several games so far. That is recipe tomorrow for a big hole to climb out of with this Cornell team. The hope is it at least forces Cornell to pass the ball around a little and work into the shot clock a bit which they aren’t used to. I’m also hoping it was a good practice week for Maliq. I want to see more of him simply because I’ve yet to see him 1. Make a bad play and 2. Not make a good play. It’s that simple.

Our zone has come out stiff,flat and peg leg slow for several games so far. That is recipe tomorrow for a big hole to climb out of with this Cornell team. The hope is it at least forces Cornell to pass the ball around a little and work into the shot clock a bit which they aren’t used to. I’m also hoping it was a good practice week for Maliq. I want to see more of him simply because I’ve yet to see him 1. Make a bad play and 2. Not make a good play. It’s that simple.
Maliq has been so good, he's got himself a seat on the farthest end of the bench. Can't upstage the coach you know...

Maliq has been so good, he's got himself a seat on the farthest end of the bench. Can't upstage the coach you know...
Been a lot of discussion on this. I think JB is trying to give Benny every opportunity and trying to keep Bell’s shooting potential on the board. Think he likes Taylor’s offensive potential too. I’m with you and Dcuse that I’d like to see much more brown but I don’t think it’s insane the way JB is playing it

“Terrified” seems extreme.

I, like many, would like to see Maliq play more. However, you can't argue with the way JAB has used JBA these last four games or so. I don't think JAB will hesitate to sub out Bell or Benny if things don't start out well today.

I, like many, would like to see Maliq play more. However, you can't argue with the way JAB has used JBA these last four games or so. I don't think JAB will hesitate to sub out Bell or Benny if things don't start out well today.

Yeah. A couple of things on that.

1- Bells perimeter defense is improving. He has shown to be dangerous picking off that wing pass with a few successes and some very close misses. That said his interior D is a huge issue. He offers basically zero resistance unless he fouls.

2- Agree on JBA. When he is playing his game he fits the role of a stronger version of Marek minus the offensive threat. He also is the best screener on the team for Joe. He is good at setting and re setting to free Joe which is honestly better for Joe given JGs lack of foot speed to lose his defender off a cross screen. I liked JBA starting the second half the other night. Reminds me of when JB would rotate second half starters in the backcourt a decade ago.

3- Brown and Taylor are the ideal hired guns off the bench when you need them should the other 3 forwards be off which has been the case often.I hope we see more of both on a regular basis.

Yeah. A couple of things on that.

1- Bells perimeter defense is improving. He has shown to be dangerous picking off that wing pass with a few successes and some very close misses. That said his interior D is a huge issue. He offers basically zero resistance unless he fouls.

2- Agree on JBA. When he is playing his game he fits the role of a stronger version of Marek minus the offensive threat. He also is the best screener on the team for Joe. He is good at setting and re setting to free Joe which is honestly better for Joe given JGs lack of foot speed to lose his defender off a cross screen. I liked JBA starting the second half the other night. Reminds me of when JB would rotate second half starters in the backcourt a decade ago.

3- Brown and Taylor are the ideal hired guns off the bench when you need them should the other 3 forwards be off which has been the case often.I hope we see more of both on a regular basis.
I think Brown will get minutes. It seems from press conferences that JB is trying not to give up on Bell and Benny based on talent and scoring potential. He also understands what Brown gives in terms of rebounding. It will sort itself out.

I also think there might be something behind the scenes with promised starting roles.

I think Brown will get minutes. It seems from press conferences that JB is trying not to give up on Bell and Benny based on talent and scoring potential. He also understands what Brown gives in terms of rebounding. It will sort itself out.

I also think there might be something behind the scenes with promised starting roles.

Brown's biggest issue right now is he is 100 pct a post player on offense. He is effective against smaller teams and against teams that don't crowd the paint when defending us but becomes likely less effective without space to cut a fewer bigs to battle for rebounds on the block.

This is hardly a knock on Maliq- just is the next step in his game to be a bit stronger and keep adding to his game.

I also think there might be something behind the scenes with promised starting roroles.
As has been the case over the years. However, I think JAB is starting Bell to theoretically open up the court to help Jesse out. Otherwise with no shooters, or one shooter, Jesse wouldn't stand a chance

Brown's biggest issue right now is he is 100 pct a post player on offense. He is effective against smaller teams and against teams that don't crowd the paint when defending us but becomes likely less effective without space to cut a fewer bigs to battle for rebounds on the block.

This is hardly a knock on Maliq- just is the next step in his game to be a bit stronger and keep adding to his game.
He's freshman year Hakim Warrick with so far less opportunities. Not a bad thing as long as he keeps developing

He's freshman year Hakim Warrick with so far less opportunities. Not a bad thing as long as he keeps developing

I would say freshman Rick Jackson with the rest the same. Hakim was an athletic freak. Jackson was less an athlete than Maliq is but where he did his work is very similar to Maliq. Plus Maliq isn't that explosive game changing kind of player like Hak nor will he likely ever be and there is not a thing wrong with that.

we finally have a prototypical power forward. he will be fine. The better he plays relative to other forwards the more time he will get. I am bullish on him.

I would say freshman Rick Jackson with the rest the same. Hakim was an athletic freak. Jackson was less an athlete than Maliq is but where he did his work is very similar to Maliq. Plus Maliq isn't that explosive game changing kind of player like Hak nor will he likely ever be and there is not a thing wrong with that.
But even with Hak it took JAB a while to figure out the best ways to utilize his skill set.

This is what we need to see from Maliq.

But even with Hak it took JAB a while to figure out the best ways to utilize his skill set.

This is what we need to see from Maliq.

Maybe next year. Don't see that being a this year thing. If you watch his FTs you can see where his form isn't consistent from FT to FT right now. Has to add a consistency to that before any jumper in a game is a realistic part of his game.

That's a good comparison.

I don’t know if we have enough information to tell if Brown can or can’t be effective against bigger teams.

But we have enough information to know that Bell will not rebound against bigger teams.

"terrified of the first 8 minutes of a game against Cornell"
I want to pretend I never read that but sadly the OP has a point

from what I’ve seen so far from this team, you can tell within 3 mins if the starters are going to work out. They need to be pulled early to avoid getting down 10+. If they are playing well, no issues keeping them in

Last edited:
One thing I think is key is we had our "lose to Colgate, Bryant, (insert low major here)) game in our typical cycle of being inconsistent against Monmouth. There should be zero excuse for this team to be unprepared and lazy on D today.
Problem is our worst defender will still play 37 minutes no matter what.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom