I AM THE DIEHARD OF DIEHARDS | Syracusefan.com

I AM THE DIEHARD OF DIEHARDS

Dave

2nd String
In Boeheim I trust. However, it’s really time diversified through defense. Coach was an innovator. Those of you old enough to remember know the experts all said you can’t win with the zone. He proved them all wrong. Unfortunately now teams are fine tuning the attack. It was never about the zone. It was about the adjustments. College kids couldn’t adapt to the variables of what was taken away. They would give up the foul line then take it away. They would give up the baseline then shut it down. They punished with traps in the corner and in the block. The novelty is gone. Everyone sees it now. Plus we have kids who aren’t committed. The key to a zone is moving with the ball in the air ( never mind the zip passes which are perforating us). We hesitate. The close outs appear half hearted. The angles are wrong. I still believe in the zone, but we need to pull something else out of the bag of tricks. Imagine the shock it would create? I am late to the party but I still believe JAB goes out on his terms. He has earned that. I just wish he would let go of that stubborn streak and diversify and adapt. Ok. Play some man.

As you said the zone is now understood and teams know how to break it. The onslaught of 3 point sharpshooters and undermined it even more. The zone does affect recruiting.

Imagine if we had a center like Dukes freshman the other night. The amount of offense we could generate with this current team. We would need to go man to man as a man that big can’t move quickly enough to play zone effectively.

If a recruit center saw that opportunity for action they would be lining up to join

The game has also evolved...very rarely do good teams not have 4 if not 5 guys who if given an open shot, can't knock down a long jumper or 3. If you move the ball and spread out our zone, you will get an open look somewhere. In the past, JB played the numbers and allowed some of the poorer shooters to take those looks. Just isn't the best idea anymore.

Even more so, we just lack the length and athletes to really play a productive defense no matter what it would be! Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting!!!!!

As you said the zone is now understood and teams know how to break it. The onslaught of 3 point sharpshooters and undermined it even more. The zone does affect recruiting.

Imagine if we had a center like Dukes freshman the other night. The amount of offense we could generate with this current team. We would need to go man to man as a man that big can’t move quickly enough to play zone effectively.

If a recruit center saw that opportunity for action they would be lining up to join
Nice paragraphs

Igor wouldn't have used any uppercase letters. We should be more appreciative.
if you look closer and decode it actually reads like a hostage plea.

In Boeheim I trust. However, it’s really time diversified through defense. Coach was an innovator. Those of you old enough to remember know the experts all said you can’t win with the zone. He proved them all wrong. Unfortunately now teams are fine tuning the attack. It was never about the zone. It was about the adjustments. College kids couldn’t adapt to the variables of what was taken away. They would give up the foul line then take it away. They would give up the baseline then shut it down. They punished with traps in the corner and in the block. The novelty is gone. Everyone sees it now. Plus we have kids who aren’t committed. The key to a zone is moving with the ball in the air ( never mind the zip passes which are perforating us). We hesitate. The close outs appear half hearted. The angles are wrong. I still believe in the zone, but we need to pull something else out of the bag of tricks. Imagine the shock it would create? I am late to the party but I still believe JAB goes out on his terms. He has earned that. I just wish he would let go of that stubborn streak and diversify and adapt. Ok. Play some man.

Well that was creative!

PF at 6'7 a 6'1 pg and 6'5 SF playing next to either of those for more than 10 minutes makes it below average. Just giving up too much against good teams that can spread us out, beat a press decently, and are average on the offensive boards.
Our record is good because we haven't played too many like that. imo.
Our zone could actually be solid with Guerrier Dolez Ajax Kadary Buddy with the occasional Griff for Guerrier. imo Heck even press when up when we go small on the wings.

Well that was creative!

That was a good laugh. Well done.

PF at 6'7 a 6'1 pg and 6'5 SF playing next to either of those for more than 10 minutes makes it below average. Just giving up too much against good teams that can spread us out, beat a press decently, and are average on the offensive boards.
Our record is good because we haven't played too many like that. imo.
Our zone could actually be solid with Guerrier Dolez Ajax Kadary Buddy with the occasional Griff for Guerrier. imo Heck even press when up when we go small on the wings.
Add in 160 lbs center.

Wow! That's impressive! One of the most creative & imaginative posts I've ever seen on this site. Kudos!

channeled igor. predated me here. igor (and the mods probably) understood that without counter point there really is no relevance for a message board. just pom poms . and no caps needed. forever tavern.

I remember him. And, how he was JB's biggest fan when it came to the zone, all zone and nothing but the zone so help us all. ;)

I remember him. And, how he was JB's biggest fan when it came to the zone, all zone and nothing but the zone so help us all. ;)
regardless of opinion i never once doubted his love and passion for all things Syracuse Basketball.
i know he attended practices and loved to watch and critique the team every chance he could .

regardless of opinion i never once doubted his love and passion for all things Syracuse Basketball.
i know he attended practices and loved to watch and critique the team every chance he could .

No doubt. His, let's say "way" would certainly fit right in today, and perhaps more than ever with the general climate around here. I recall discovering this SU fan forum some twenty odd years ago or so on the information superhighway/during the 'ol dial up days. It was the AOL site, and the world wide web was this new frontier so to speak. I posted at the time under the handle of Jimmy Lee (my favorite player in my youth) and remembered how some dude named Igor went after me on my first post like there was no tomorrow, and then dissed me some more for my spelling errors. Good times. :):)

my first post here was about julius hodge. and IGOR and i certainly had our dust ups. but it never got personal. we talked syracuse basketball. i remember he went to florida and gradually posted less and less. still i admire somebody willing to say sometimes the emperor has no clothes. it doesn't mean you love the program any less when you happen to disagree with it's coaches philosophy. have the courage to say what you see. maybe wrong maybe right. but all views matter. it's the marketplace of ideas. we need more igors.

Impressive.
A Dan Brown prodigy.
A cryptorchidist.
Next time I’m pasting letters out of a magazine.

Can’t play a good zone if you can’t recruit a serviceable healthy big.
This is the keystone! Agree with other factors regarding players not as committed to playing the zone as much now days but without the big anchoring the zone, all else is held together with rubber bands.

my first post here was about julius hodge. and IGOR and i certainly had our dust ups. but it never got personal. we talked syracuse basketball. i remember he went to florida and gradually posted less and less. still i admire somebody willing to say sometimes the emperor has no clothes. it doesn't mean you love the program any less when you happen to disagree with it's coaches philosophy. have the courage to say what you see. maybe wrong maybe right. but all views matter. it's the marketplace of ideas. we need more igors.
My Igor story also happened around that time. I had my daughter sign me up on the old dial-up site, & the name she chose as my handle was “Lieutenant Ripley”, her fav sigourmey weaver character from the “Alien” movies.
I posted something innocuous and Iggy tore into me, but mostly about how my handle was “gay”, etc. etc. i just remember cracking up- he was funny as hell!
And before the PC cops show up, please remember this was a very long time ago & things were a lot different then now. But i couldn’t believe how this poster i didn’t know held absolutely nothing back.
I gave as good as i got and from then on, i was hooked.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom