I assume this quote is out-of-context... | Syracusefan.com

I assume this quote is out-of-context...

Doesn't sound out of context. Not a confidence booster for UConn fans.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Spoken like a true stalwart following the UMASS blueprint for athletic irrelevance...

Wow. there are some very depressed UConn posters after that comment.

I think Herbst and Manuel were taken entirely by surprise (as was Mike Aresco) that UCONN wasn't the annointed one. They shouldn't have been. Pitt and Syracuse were not popular additions among many of the southern football fans who comprise a vocal component in the FSU, Clemson, NCST, UNC and VT fan bases. There was no way a "Yankee" school was getting in this time unless multiple schools were selected. I think the choice of Louisville has almost as much to do with its being perceived as "Southron" as with the perception of it being a "football school." They talk slow, sip sweetened tea when not consuming mint julips, contributed tens of thousands of troops to the Confederacy and give the appearance of prioritizing sports over academics. If you are an FSU Booster what's not to like?

UConn will end up somewhere... Or there will be a number of teams left out alongside them (hope not us). There will either be 5 power conferences that will continue to expand, and UConn gets a seat, or either the ACC or Big12 will be canabalized and you could end up with fewer seats at the table than you have now.

In other words, they've put all their eggs in the ND basket.

They need ND to go all-in somewhere for UConn to be #16.

Or for FSU/Clemson to leave. many posters were hoping that would happen.

uconn should be grateful for what they have. if it wasn't for the big east giving them a football handout they wouldn't even be in the discussion.

Very true.

The cheese stands alone...

I think Herbst and Manuel were taken entirely by surprise (as was Mike Aresco) that UCONN wasn't the annointed one. They shouldn't have been. Pitt and Syracuse were not popular additions among many of the southern football fans who comprise a vocal component in the FSU, Clemson, NCST, UNC and VT fan bases. There was no way a "Yankee" school was getting in this time unless multiple schools were selected. I think the choice of Louisville has almost as much to do with its being perceived as "Southron" as with the perception of it being a "football school." They talk slow, sip sweetened tea when not consuming mint julips, contributed tens of thousands of troops to the Confederacy and give the appearance of prioritizing sports over academics. If you are an FSU Booster what's not to like?

From personal experience, Northern Kentucky (Louisville) is more like Indiana or Ohio than it is like its neighbors to the south. (Although the reverse can be said for southern Kentucky) And Kentucky remained in the Union during the Civil War, even though it contributed troops to the Confederacy as you pointed out (as well as to the Union cause). Very interesting place, and I for one is glad UofL will be joining us in the ACC.

uconn should be grateful for what they have. if it wasn't for the big east giving them a football handout they wouldn't even be in the discussion.

Good point. Not many schools can upgrade to 1A with immediate access in a BCS league. I'm sure UMass feels bad for them.

How many programs have we helped build from nothing in the Big East? Let's see: Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, UConn, South Florida ...

I am an FSU Booster...only for good football and basketball seats/parking...espcially for future Syracuse games...

Good point. Not many schools can upgrade to 1A with immediate access in a BCS league. I'm sure UMass feels bad for them.
UConn is a boring, listless excuse of a program. At least they hired a coaching staff that fits their identity. And we want to play against them? Isn't that why we wanted out of the Big East?

From personal experience, Northern Kentucky (Louisville) is more like Indiana or Ohio than it is like its neighbors to the south. (Although the reverse can be said for southern Kentucky) And Kentucky remained in the Union during the Civil War, even though it contributed troops to the Confederacy as you pointed out (as well as to the Union cause). Very interesting place, and I for one is glad UofL will be joining us in the ACC.

Exactly. Like Maryland, Kentucky is a border state that stuck with the Union but supported slavery and sent many regiments off to fight for both sides of the conflict. IIRC Abraham Lincoln's brothers-in-law all fought for the Confederacy and one or two of them were killed fighting the Union. Similar dynamics played out in Maryland so it is perhaps appropriate from a historical perspective that the Ville replaces the Terps.

UConn is a boring, listless excuse of a program. At least they hired a coaching staff that fits their identity. And we want to play against them? Isn't that why we wanted out of the Big East?

No

No

Well, it's why I wanted out - I was tired of seeing the Virginia Techs and Miamis being replaced by directional schools or schools with no football tradition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom