I bet Delany and Big Ten regret blocking the ACC Championship game proposal | Syracusefan.com

I bet Delany and Big Ten regret blocking the ACC Championship game proposal

Alsacs

Living Legend
Delany wanted to have his cake and eat it as well.
He led the Big Ten schools voting down the ACC proposal for eliminating divisions to determine conference title participants.

The ACC is 4 for 4 getting teams into the playoffs.
Sorry Big Ten maybe if your West division wasn’t a joke the conference title game would matter more.

If the 3+5+5 model was used the 2 top teams would play for the conference titles more often.

He led the Big Ten schools voting down the ACC proposal for eliminating divisions to determine conference title participants.

Sorry Big Ten maybe if your West division wasn’t a joke the conference title game would matter more.

If the 3+5+5 model was used the 2 top teams would play for the conference titles more often.

Amen.

And i give the committee props, bc subjectively OSU made a ton of sense:

Adding the Midwest viewer and flavor

Adding a hugely populated state and fanbase that is more of a national fanbase and ratings draw than Alabama.

Lastly, the committee had to decide if America wanted to see a rematch of last year's championship game in the semis.

Probably figured it was better than giving America a rematch of last year's one sided semi-final.

Very true chip and i have a feeling it will be Bama/OSU this year. Hope i am wrong and Clemson advances.

The ACC this season was Clemson and really no one else. Miami deserves credit for winning a lot of games and coming from behind so many times to do so, but I think it caught up to them. The ACC has just two teams in the final top 20 rankings according to the committee.

I do think Delany needs to follow the ACC's lead when it comes to scheduling conference games. The ACC teams play 8 conference games. The B1G schools play 9 conference games. The B1G has 4 teams in the committee's final top 20 poll and 5 teams in the top 25. It might behoove the B1G to reduce the number of conference games to 8 just like the ACC.

Last edited:
It might behoove the B1G to reduce the number of conference games to 8 just like the ACC.

They can't anytime soon, the 9th game is inventory. It's baked into their current contract which runs through 2023.

It will be interesting to see how Florida State rebounds. I have to admit I liked having a strong FSU and Clemson, say what you may it was good for the ACC...it will be interesting to see where they land with a coach and what he brings to FSU.

They can't anytime soon, the 9th game is inventory. It's baked into their current contract which runs through 2023.
If enough people want to see a more level playing field across the P5 conferences (the Big 12 and the Pac 12 also play 9 conference games) then I can see the parties in those 3 conferences sitting at the table to renegotiate to an 8 game schedule.

Or perhaps the SEC and the ACC will agree to shift from 8 conference games to 9 conference games to match the Bigs? And if they do that, which is doubtful, it would be nice if teams in the SEC and the ACC would stop playing cupcakes in November.

Last edited:
Or perhaps the SEC and the ACC will agree to shift from 8 conference games to 9 conference games to match the Bigs?

ACC and SEC will not push for it. Clemson and FSU play their in-state SEC teams every year. That's basically a 9th game. And the SEC just got two teams in the playoffs with an 8 game schedule.

If they ever do, it will be for a buttload of TV cash and not for parity.

It's crazy that the B1G champ missed the playoffs in back-to-back years.

I know OSU still went last year, but given how meaningless that game is for the conference, I have a hard time convincing myself that it matters.

The ACCCG on the other hand...

ACC and SEC will not push for it. Clemson and FSU play their in-state SEC teams every year. That's basically a 9th game. And the SEC just got two teams in the playoffs with an 8 game schedule.

If they ever do, it will be for a buttload of TV cash and not for parity.
I agree 100 percent. The Bigs need to shift to 8 conference games just like the SEC and the ACC because the Bigs play OOC P5 schools too that are like an additional conference game for them which means that the Bigs play 10 games against P5 schools where the ACC and SEC schools play against 9 P5 schools. In that scenario I see the Bigs using that additional OOC game to schedule a cupcake during November just like many SEC and ACC teams do. Won't be good for the fans, but it will create more parity in scheduling across the P5 conferences.

Last edited:
The B10 essentially plays 8 conference games when you factor in the crap teams that make up the bottom of their league. Those are built in wins every year and comparable to playing a D3 school.

The B10 essentially plays 8 conference games when you factor in the crap teams that make up the bottom of their league. Those are built in wins every year and comparable to playing a D3 school.
Ok, but people say the same thing about ACC teams only playing 7 conference games when you factor in the teams at the bottom of the ACC. I disagree with that of course. I just think the B1G with 4 teams in the committee's final top 20 is ok. The ACC has 2 teams in the top 20, so that makes the ACC look bad.

Ok, but people say the same thing about ACC teams only playing 7 conference games when you factor in the teams at the bottom of the ACC. I disagree with that of course. I just think the B1G with 4 teams in the committee's final top 20 is ok. The ACC has 2 teams in the top 20, so that makes the ACC look bad.

I get what you’re saying and part of my statement was tongue in cheek but one of the worst teams in the ACC best Clemson this year.

I get what you’re saying and part of my statement was tongue in cheek but one of the worst teams in the ACC best Clemson this year.
Yes, and the committee treated Clemson's loss in the Dome as less than a complete loss blaming the loss on injuries to Kelly Bryant's ankle and his concussion when he was knocked out during the game.

Yes, and the committee treated Clemson's loss in the Dome as less than a complete loss blaming the loss on injuries to Kelly Bryant's ankle and his concussion when he was knocked out during the game.

They obviously didn’t read this board because that win will be remembered by sports fans 50 years from now.

If you automatically take the conference winner the OOC games will only be in play if they have 8 teams. OOC is moot so schools can play 9 conference games AND their rivals. The OOC games can be used to put to fill in the gaps. Win your conference and you go...simple and you can't complain because it was determined on the field. If you don't win the conference, now you leave it to the committee but again, earn your way in vs conference foes first.

Or have flexible divisions, based on the previous year's accomplishments. Rank the teams from 1 to 14, (or 12, 10, etc.) Have one division be the evenly ranked teams and that other be the odds. In a 14 team league you play the 6 teams in your division plus two from the other- one of mutual choice, (to keep rivalries going) , the other the one you haven't played in the longest time.

If they were in a 3-3-5 wouldn't the CCG still have been Wisconson and Ohio State? Wisconson and Ohio State were the 2 highest rated teams in the BiG.

If they were in a 3-3-5 wouldn't the CCG still have been Wisconson and Ohio State? Wisconson and Ohio State were the 2 highest rated teams in the BiG.
Yes. They were the two highest rated B1G teams.

It’s unlikely Wisconsin makes the Big Ten title game if they had to play Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State this year.
Penn State was the second best Big Ten team IMO.

It’s unlikely Wisconsin makes the Big Ten title game if they had to play Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State this year.
Penn State was the second best Big Ten team IMO.
While it pains me greatly to say this, Ped State (w/Moorhead as OC) was likely the best squad in the B1G this year. No proof to offer, I just think they were better than Ohio State this year. Yes, they lost by one point in Columbus, but they had firm control of that game for about 48-50 minutes. Took Herculean effort from Barrett for Urban to pull that out of his arse.