I dread the Final Four this year. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

I dread the Final Four this year.

Thanks for telling me what I think.

SMH
I didn't tell you anything. You told us this:

And we have some here that are willing to lower the bar of what our program should be by bringing in BC as a comparison.

Nobody is lowering the bar. Nobody is happy. 90% of fans want change these days.

I hate Villanova. If I had my choice between seeing Calipari win 10 straight titles or seeing Villanova win a bowling tournament, I'm going Cal every time.

I didn't tell you anything. You told us this:

And we have some here that are willing to lower the bar of what our program should be by bringing in BC as a comparison.

Nobody is lowering the bar. Nobody is happy. 90% of fans want change these days.
Clear difference of opinion. My observation is that fans here have lowered the bar. You have a different opinion.

These are opinions. It does not mean my opinion is wrong. It just means we have different views of this topic.

I think we are a few years beyond an inflection point with the program and the trajectory under JB has been pretty clear for a while now. I thought he should have retired after the 2016 FF and gone out on a high note.

I’ll be the one banging the drum the loudest for JB to be fired (yes I said fired) if he has another losing season next year. Heck, if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament I think it’s fair to force him out.

Will SU ever publicly fire JB? No, of course not. But I’m not against saying he should be fired (I know it’s hyperbolic).

The Chancellor had it right when he was forcing JB out with Hop taking over. JB’s ego wouldn’t accept it. Now it all looks like a huge mistake and the program continues to drift away from being elite. The longer we let this slide, the harder it will be to regain elite status.

Clear difference of opinion. My observation is that fans here have lowered the bar. You have a different opinion.

These are opinions. It does not mean my opinion is wrong. It just means we have different views of this topic.

I think we are a few years beyond an inflection point with the program and the trajectory under JB has been pretty clear for a while now. I thought he should have retired after the 2016 FF and gone out on a high note.

I’ll be the one banging the drum the loudest for JB to be fired (yes I said fired) if he has another losing season next year. Heck, if he doesn’t make the NCAA tournament I think it’s fair to force him out.

Will SU ever publicly fire JB? No, of course not. But I’m not against saying he should be fired (I know it’s hyperbolic).

The Chancellor had it right when he was forcing JB out with Hop taking over. JB’s ego wouldn’t accept it. Now it all looks like a huge mistake and the program continues to drift away from being elite. The longer we let this slide, the harder it will be to regain elite status.
We are mostly in agreement. I think this is JB's last year regardless. He needs to make the tournament or step down. I hope he sees that or it's going to get ugly locally. It already is ugly locally.

Maybe I don't think fans have lowered the bar because I live in the area and I see the heat he's getting from fans. If anything the local media has protected him. That's who really has allowed the bar to be lowered.

We are mostly in agreement. I think this is JB's last year regardless. He needs to make the tournament or step down. I hope he sees that or it's going to get ugly locally. It already is ugly locally.

Maybe I don't think fans have lowered the bar because I live in the area and I see the heat he's getting from fans. If anything the local media has protected him. That's who really has allowed the bar to be lowered.
Because the beat writers want to protect their access to JB and don't want to get attacked on a press conference. That's a tactic that JB has used, and it's working for him.

In 2016, I really feel that Arcidiacono was not right in shoveling the pass to his right side and behind to Kris Jenkins, AND THEN running in front of Kris which totally gave Kris an undefended shot. Illegal, right?

Our recruiting hurts because the HC doesn't put in the effort he did 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30 years ago. Period.

I’ve been thinking about this as I watch Duke. As for JB, I don’t have reason to doubt your assertion, so I’m assuming it to be fact.

Watching K being barely ambulatory, I’m thinking to myself there is no possible way he is putting in the effort he was 10 years ago either.

First question: is K doing more recruiting trips, in homes, sitting in HS gyms, powering through 12 hours per day at Peach Jam, etc? I don’t know but I seriously doubt it. Does anyone know? Is he doing anything differently than JB in that sense? They’re both old men with young staffs.

Second question: assuming K is not personally doing much differently than JB, why is he bringing in the best classes of his career over the past 5 or so years?

Third question: what ever the answer to #2 is, can it reasonably be duplicated by JB?

The above is purely academic because I would generally agree that our recruiting has to change and I suspect the answer to #2 is not something we can replicate within our resources or the rules. In that environment, you simply have to outwork people and I don’t think JB is going to be able to do that (even though I don’t think K is working very hard at all).

I’ve been thinking about this as I watch Duke. As for JB, I don’t have reason to doubt your assertion, so I’m assuming it to be fact.

Watching K being barely ambulatory, I’m thinking to myself there is no possible way he is putting in the effort he was 10 years ago either.

First question: is K doing more recruiting trips, in homes, sitting in HS gyms, powering through 12 hours per day at Peach Jam, etc? I don’t know but I seriously doubt it. Does anyone know? Is he doing anything differently than JB in that sense? They’re both old men with young staffs.

Second question: assuming K is not personally doing much differently than JB, why is he bringing in the best classes of his career over the past 5 or so years?

Third question: what ever the answer to #2 is, can it reasonably be duplicated by JB?

The above is purely academic because I would generally agree that our recruiting has to change and I suspect the answer to #2 is not something we can replicate within our resources or the rules. In that environment, you simply have to outwork people and I don’t think JB is going to be able to do that (even though I don’t think K is working very hard at all).
Success sells itself. Style of play, large numbers of alums in the NBA, reputation, the whole “brotherhood” culture thing…. It’s a matter of prestige to get an offer from Duke and put on that uniform—at a level that is unmatched. Add to it the elite academic thing, and sure, great players are drawn to Duke. There are a handful of schools on that tier, and none really reach Duke’s level on all those fronts. For us to get near that, we need to start winning again, embrace a more dynamic style, put premier players into the NBA… and then start reaping the cycle. K didn‘t need massive energy to continue those ways, because the machine was already in place and working for him. It’s like if you’re wealthy, opportunities present themselves to you, and when you’re not, you have to chase and create them.

K is a better salesman than JB. He manipulates image better. The whole Duke aura is not by accident and isn’t incidental. I don’t think JB plays those types of games.

People will say that Duke is just good at dropping bags. I don’t know about that. I just know that, just as with any other field of endeavor, when you are perceived as the best, the best want to be a part of what you do. Stanford, for instance, doesn’t have to fight very hard to get the best tech students.

UNC > Nova > Kansas > End of Times > Duke
Exactly the same for me

UNC must beat Duke. Otherwise we will hear about this Duke team every March madness for the next million years. Also, while I'm not UNC fan, Hubert Davis is very likeable in the post game interviews. he is always praising his players.

Have futures tickets on Duke and Kansas. If UNC beats Duke I'm cool with that too.

give me nova over duke, kansas or tar heels. old big east at least .got no love for the new swamp.

26c9eaa9c951e4557eac339ce74cdca8.jpg

Last edited:
Tough watch for sure. Surprisingly I don't hate this UNC team most likely because Hubert Davis was never really hateable as a player and the backcourt of Love and Davis is fun to watch.
Jay Wright's a good coach and nice guy but F Nova. I've hated them far longer than the other schools back to the Rory Sparrow and Rollie days. There has never been any consideration of cheering for either of the other schools playing.

I hate Villanova. If I had my choice between seeing Calipari win 10 straight titles or seeing Villanova win a bowling tournament, I'm going Cal every time.
you prefer pay pal Cal with all his scandals and vacated wins and 1 title with all his bought and paid for NBA grade talent over squeaky clean jay wright and his 2 titles won with team basketball. i find that choice rather odd. but to each his own. and BTW only 1 is coaching tonite.

Because the beat writers want to protect their access to JB and don't want to get attacked on a press conference. That's a tactic that JB has used, and it's working for him.
The stuff about the media isn't true. No one protects him. And they aren't afraid of him either. I probably know more members of the media and know them better than just about anyone here. What some want them to report just isn't possible. And by the way, a number of fans were upset with the way the local media treated JB (by asking him questions) about the buddy punch.

you prefer pay pal Cal with all his scandals and vacated wins and 1 title with all his bought and paid for NBA grade talent over squeaky clean jay wright and his 2 titles won with team basketball. i find that choice rather odd. but to each his own. and BTW only 1 is coaching tonite.
It's called hyperbole. Understandably wasted on you. I find it odd that you think Jay Wright is squeaky clean.

BC made a S16 with Bill Curley in the early 90s, Jim O'Brien was the coach. They had some real good teams with Michael Adams, Jay Murphy and Martin Clark, Gary Williams coach. I think Dr. Tom Davis had decent teams there. Al Skinner was a good coach. But they've been real bad now for a long time.
They’ve been so bad that 3 of my best friends from high school went there (graduated 6 years ago). All huge sports fans. All completely apathetic about both programs (football and basketball).

For us, UNC=Kansas> Duke >>> Villanova
As long as Villanova did not get another championship, it is a win for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom