I feel as if we're now following the Stanford/Notre Dame recruiting strategy | Syracusefan.com

I feel as if we're now following the Stanford/Notre Dame recruiting strategy

Czar

All Conference
With Shafer, I think the six hour rule may well and be dead, and we're taking our cues from Stanford and Notre Dame: private, major conference schools who compensate with national recruiting. And it appears to be working fairly well. What does the rest of the board think? To me it seems like the only viable strategy in the long term to ever compete for a playoff spot.

I agree. Syracuse is a strong national brand, basketball has assured that as well as the dome which is unique and provides great exposure. Playing teams like ND USC PSTATE and winning 3 bowls in a row has helped us shed the grob years. Now that we are in the ACC which i believe is the best all around conf in college sports things will only get better. Toss in the IPF and i believe we are on the cusp of a return to the top 25. This was our best recruiting class in 10 or more years and i expect each year will only get better.

With Shafer, I think the six hour rule may well and be dead, and we're taking our cues from Stanford and Notre Dame: private, major conference schools who compensate with national recruiting. And it appears to be working fairly well. What does the rest of the board think? To me it seems like the only viable strategy in the long term to ever compete for a playoff spot.
That seems to be the case, but I would add the staff is targeting areas they have contacts in, particularly Chicago, S. Florida and now Georgia, Alabama and the Carolinas. The hiring of Acosta may signal an attempt to get back into New Jersey. I'd also like to see a renewed interest in DC and northern Virginia. SU definitely has name recognition and seems to be taking advantage of it.

I think it is as simple as the staff is recruiting primarily in places in the country where they have existing relationships - regardless of the distance.

Granted, there also seems to be a relatively larger number of early offers out to elite players in the South and Midwest. However, we are a very long way off from being a "national" recruiting presence with the likes of ND and Stanford.

Notre Dame can recruit nationally because they are an elite college football brand, stemming from their historical success.
Stanford can recruit nationally because they are an elite academic institution in a major college football conference (and unlike Duke isn't overshadowed by their basketball team).

Syracuse is neither of these things. It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to conclude that Syracuse is "recruiting nationally". Recruiting Florida (along with nearly every other school in the country) and leveraging personal contacts in the Chicago/St. Louis region simply does not qualify as recruiting nationally.

Notre Dame can recruit nationally because they are an elite college football brand, stemming from their historical success.
Stanford can recruit nationally because they are an elite academic institution in a major college football conference (and unlike Duke isn't overshadowed by their basketball team).

Syracuse is neither of these things. It takes an incredible amount of mental gymnastics to conclude that Syracuse is "recruiting nationally". Recruiting Florida (along with nearly every other school in the country) and leveraging personal contacts in the Chicago/St. Louis region simply does not qualify as recruiting nationally.
Syracuse is some of both; an historic football power , not equal to Notre Dame but real deep history , thou no Stanford in academics it does have several impressive schools of international acclaim. What they do have that neither of them or many others do is a media and communications empire , The Newhouse School.

I'd say the bigger thing that got Notre Dame recruiting nationally was A) Its Catholic identity and B) Playing games nationally (those "rivalries" with USC and Stanford)

I'd say the bigger thing that got Notre Dame recruiting nationally was A) Its Catholic identity and B) Playing games nationally (those "rivalries" with USC and Stanford)

I'm not so sure "catholic identify" plays any role at whatsoever in ND's national recruiting stature.

Having every game on your schedule broadcasted nationally is probably reasons 1-10, followed by ND mythology and then tradition.

I'm not so sure "catholic identify" plays any role at whatsoever in ND's national recruiting stature.

Having every game on your schedule broadcasted nationally is probably reasons 1-10, followed by ND mythology and then tradition.

Huh? Not sure how well thought out this was so i'll keep the reply limited. An understanding of ND and its history would cure your uncertainty as to the role Catholicism plays within the confines of the University and pretty much everything it does, which includes football recruiting. Although its role has decreased over the past 50 years to say it doesn't play any role in their football recruiting is simply false. One only has to look at the multiple ND feeder schools (catholic high schools) that have steered kids to South Bend for years and still do to this day. There is and always has been a catholic infrastructure and influence in place at ND.

Huh? Not sure how well thought out this was so i'll keep the reply limited. An understanding of ND and its history would cure your uncertainty as to the role Catholicism plays within the confines of the University and pretty much everything it does, which includes football recruiting. Although its role has decreased over the past 50 years to say it doesn't play any role in their football recruiting is simply false. One only has to look at the multiple ND feeder schools (catholic high schools) that have steered kids to South Bend for years and still do to this day. There is and always has been a catholic infrastructure and influence in place at ND.

Thank you for keeping your reply "limited." I think I was able to follow some, but certainly not all of it. :cool:

The debate was not about the role that Catholicism plays within the University itself. IMO, any association between the success of the football program and ND's Catholic identity (and mission statement, which I have read), after the "glory years" of the 50s and 60s, is little more than hypocrisy. ND entrenchment in the American psyche has less to do with "the role that Catholicism plays with the confines of the University and pretty much everything it does" and far more to do with the succe$$ of the football program, the Gipper/50s mythology, and, most importantly currently, the weekly national television exposure.

Your point about catholic high school feeder schools is well taken and a good one. But, I would wonder how many of those kids are practicing Catholics or whether or not the ND football staff really gives a rat's a$$.

What they do have that neither of them or many others do is a media and communications empire , The Newhouse School.

I'll give you five bucks if you can name the last player to attend Newhouse as an undergrad.

I give up , who ?

No idea. That's my point. People throw Newhouse as a huge recruiting tool when all of the guys who want to do communications end up in rhetorical studies in Visual and Performing Arts.

Paulus and Vaughan did TRF as grad students, and Derrell Smith did Advertising as a grad. But that's a whole different ball game.

I wonder how many Southern Baptists ND has on its roster.

LeMoyneCuse said:
No idea. That's my point. People throw Newhouse as a huge recruiting tool when all of the guys who want to do communications end up in rhetorical studies in Visual and Performing Arts. Paulus and Vaughan did TRF as grad students, and Derrell Smith did Advertising as a grad. But that's a whole different ball game.

Yep, a large part of the team is either in communications/rhetorical studies in the Visual and Performing Arts school or in the Falk School doing family and child studies. Don't think any are in Newhouse. There are a few in Whitman and then the occasional engineering or info tech. But those first 2 are significant numbers.

Thank you for keeping your reply "limited." I think I was able to follow some, but certainly not all of it. :cool:

The debate was not about the role that Catholicism plays within the University itself. IMO, any association between the success of the football program and ND's Catholic identity (and mission statement, which I have read), after the "glory years" of the 50s and 60s, is little more than hypocrisy. ND entrenchment in the American psyche has less to do with "the role that Catholicism plays with the confines of the University and pretty much everything it does" and far more to do with the succe$$ of the football program, the Gipper/50s mythology, and, most importantly currently, the weekly national television exposure.

Your point about catholic high school feeder schools is well taken and a good one. But, I would wonder how many of those kids are practicing Catholics or whether or not the ND football staff really gives a rat's a$$.

You certainly bring up many good points and I apologize for coming off so strong before. The issue would make for an interesting discussion if I had the time to delve into it more. Anyway, just wanted to say I think we agree about alot on this issue.

go Cuse!

Reactions: 007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom