I had forgotten... | Syracusefan.com

I had forgotten...

cto

Administrator
... how beautiful upstate NY is in the Spring.

Driving up here today was like driving through a tourism video. Everything was so green... and so in bloom. Acres of apple trees in full glory somewhere around Kingston; sparkling Erie Canal around Canajoharie. Freshly planted green fields all along the way. I wish I could have photographed it, but that did not seem a good idea while driving at 75 mph.

Ah yes, it really is gorgeous all of a sudden here in downstate NY (we are south of Albany afterall). My apple tree is just about to bloom, as are the lilacs. The crabapple and magnolias are at full bloom, as are the tulips. Even the dandelions are looking splendid. Now if the rain can stay away for a couple more days I'll be able to cart away the last of the winter detritus.

Make it August so you can play in the Orangeyes Open with us.

Man I wish, Headed back for my best friends wedding in July. I'll be in Maryland for a meeting during the tourny. Was hoping it would work out and I could swing up before or after.. If anything changes I'll keep ya posted

Now that I am commuting between Baltimore and D.C. on I-95, there are many things I miss about Upstate New York. When I lived in Syracuse in the early 1980's, I loved that there were traffic reports. As a boy from New Jersey, I found that hilarious.

There are houses in Syracuse for sale at $300,000 that would cost over a million in many other places in the U.S. Despite its inferiority complex, I regard the quality of life in Central New York as far above the norm --as long as you can deal with snow.

Last edited:
If you don't mind cold and cloudy weather, CNY is awesome. But yesterday was the first day in 2019 that really looked like spring. That's...kind of delayed, even for someone who's happy with cloudy days and cold weather.

Upstate New York is truly a beautiful area that’s overlooked by many who live here. Driving along the rolling hills that overlook the finger lakes is breathtaking.
I have been to most areas of the country. Upstate NY is the most beautiful place in the country. We are very lucky to live in such a wonderful area.

I feel bad for the poor people who have to life elsewhere.

Then again, snow never really bothered me. A fresh snowfall is beautiful too.

I have never had to board my house up, drive 100 miles away and wonder what i was returning to in the wake of hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, earthquakes or volcanic eruptions. Blizzards can be bad but they melt after a few days.

If you don't mind cold and cloudy weather, CNY is awesome. But yesterday was the first day in 2019 that really looked like spring. That's...kind of delayed, even for someone who's happy with cloudy days and cold weather.
Eh, woke up this morning to 2" of snow here in Denver. Had to brush off the satellite about an hour ago.

There are houses in Syracuse for sale at $300,000 that would cost over a million in many other places in the U.S. Despite it's inferiority complex, I regard the quality of life in Central New York as far above the norm --as long as you can deal with the taxes, & snow.

FIFY.

Those $300k houses have the same taxes as the $1,000,000 places from downstate.
Which, frankly - is absurd.

If it's red, and you call it green, it's still red.

Upstate NY is everything north of NYC and is further subdivided by regions such as central NY, Western NY, the southern tier, the capital district, the Finger Lakes Region and others.

That is the most common and widely accepted definition.

You may not like it but you should learn to live with it because that's the way it is, and it's not likely to change.