I hate to see posts trashing our players | Syracusefan.com

I hate to see posts trashing our players

Scooch

Living Legend
There is one player on this team who is getting the kind of minutes he should. Hughes. That’s it, that’s the list.

Every other player is playing more minutes, in some cases farrrrrr more minutes, than they should be.

Why? Because our recruiting hasn’t been nearly good enough for several years running. So freshmen are playing before they’re truly ready, and upperclassmen who should be role players are getting starters minutes.

So maybe instead of trashing players who are in a no-win situation, some people should train their fire elsewhere.

There is one player on this team who is getting the kind of minutes he should. Hughes. That’s it, that’s the list.

Every other player is playing more minutes, in some cases farrrrrr more minutes, than they should be.

Why? Because our recruiting hasn’t been nearly good enough for several years running. So freshmen are playing before they’re truly ready, and upperclassmen who should be role players are getting starters minutes.

So maybe instead of trashing players who are in a no-win situation, some people should train their fire elsewhere.
If only some of our marginal nba guys had stayed

I won’t tell people what to think in terms of criticizing players b/c these kids are kids but this is big business ... so I don’t know where I fall on that.

But I doubt anyone would argue much with the fact that at the very least we’ve been swinging and missing with top targets on a far too regular basis. That said, I’m really concerned with our player development. And, honestly it goes back to the Jeremy grants and Tyler Lyndons. We just don’t see kids develop year-over-year with anywhere near the regularity.

Marek not being competent (not awesome but ok) in year 3 and, at a minimum, having added 25 lbs seems insane to me. Not sure it makes us that much better but it’s still odd. Brissett last season should have been better. Chukwu got stronger and I guess dealt with injuries but had a poor senior year. Carey ... who knows?

I don’t know — just wish we could see these guys stick around and improve. Feel like that would cure a lot of ills.

I won’t tell people what to think in terms of criticizing players b/c these kids are kids but this is big business ... so I don’t know where I fall on that.

But I doubt anyone would argue much with the fact that at the very least we’ve been swinging and missing with top targets on a far too regular basis. That said, I’m really concerned with our player development. And, honestly it goes back to the Jeremy grants and Tyler Lyndons. We just don’t see kids develop year-over-year with anywhere near the regularity.

Marek not being competent (not awesome but ok) in year 3 and, at a minimum, having added 25 lbs seems insane to me. Not sure it makes us that much better but it’s still odd. Brissett last season should have been better. Chukwu got stronger and I guess dealt with injuries but had a poor senior year. Carey ... who knows?

I don’t know — just wish we could see these guys stick around and improve. Feel like that would cure a lot of ills.
Obviously people can, and will, post whatever the heck they want. I posted this because in quickly perusing the board I saw multiple posts ripping Girard, Buddy, Sidibe, and Marek. Not one of them should be seeing the kind of minutes that they are. It all falls on the head coach, who’s repeated recruiting misfires have caused our current predicament.

Obviously people can, and will, post whatever the heck they want. I posted this because in quickly perusing the board I saw multiple posts ripping Girard, Buddy, Sidibe, and Marek. Not one of them should be seeing the kind of minutes that they are. It all falls on the head coach, who’s repeated recruiting misfires have caused our current predicament.
Can’t argue that

Just to add context...

There were five guys who played 30 or more minutes against Penn State: Girard, Dolezaj, Guerrier, Boeheim and Hughes.

Coincidentally, ten years ago this week SU played a second game of a tournament in NYC. Four guys played 30 or more minutes in that game: Wes Johnson, Arinze Onauku, Andy Rautins and Kris Joseph.

No one besides Hughes would see as many as 10 minutes if they were on that team from 10 years ago.

Just to add context...

There were five guys who played 30 or more minutes against Penn State: Girard, Dolezaj, Guerrier, Boeheim and Hughes.

Coincidentally, ten years ago this week SU played a second game of a tournament in NYC. Four guys played 30 or more minutes in that game: Wes Johnson, Arinze Onauku, Andy Rautins and Kris Joseph.

No one besides Hughes would see as many as 10 minutes if they were on that team from 10 years ago.
I can't believe its been 10 years since that wonderful team. Wes and Co. were such a joy to watch. I love asj410 's avatar. Always makes me happy.

It is very difficult to gain weight while you are still growing. And Marek has still been growing. It would seem that he should have put on some weight but once again, weight is tough to gain when you are still growing. Sadly, it is not tough as you get older.

It all falls on the head coach, who’s repeated recruiting misfires have caused our current predicament.
I think if you put all the blame on the HC for recruiting then you need to put all the blame on the assistants for development. Of course I don't agree with that but I think we win as a team and lose as a team.

But our recruiting class is full of hidden gems!!

No Top 50 players on the team. Why is anyone surprised by the results?

Boeheim was always the guy that got talent. Coleman, Owens, Carmelo, Flynn, Greene, Waiters, Fab Melo, Christmas, MCW - all Top 25 talent. Even Joseph, Jackson, Fair, Cooney (!) & Scoop were Top 50-70ish.

Goodine is the only Top 100 player that is healthy enough to play. And he barely snuck in there. Carey is clearly not a Top 50 guy at this point. Everyone else is a “hidden gem” or foreign.

Talent overcomes a lot of deficiencies.

Then the blame falls completely on the staff for 1. not getting recruits 2. not being good enough in player development. It's clear nobody from the staff should be promoted post-JB.

Then JB needs to be pushed out. This is a Big time basketball school playing the ACC . This team wouldn’t even win the A10 . Malpractice don’t know what else to call it . There is a reason kids are not coming here and it starts and ends with the head coach

Then the blame falls completely on the staff for 1. not getting recruits 2. not being good enough in player development. It's clear nobody from the staff should be promoted post-JB.
Where is the AD? Is he not responsible as well ?

- signed EVERY D1 program

Sick of the excuses. If you’re losing marginal NBA guys, you need to get more marginal NBA guys. At minimum.

EDIT: Could also see Edwards getting there but he’s “raw” and apparently can’t even earn minutes against good teams.

Only guy that might even sniff the league is Guerrier. Players like Hughes are a dime a dozen IMO.

But our recruiting class is full of hidden gems!!

No Top 50 players on the team. Why is anyone surprised by the results?

Boeheim was always the guy that got talent. Coleman, Owens, Carmelo, Flynn, Greene, Waiters, Fab Melo, Christmas, MCW - all Top 25 talent. Even Joseph, Jackson, Fair, Cooney (!) & Scoop were Top 50-70ish.

Goodine is the only Top 100 player that is healthy enough to play. And he barely snuck in there. Carey is clearly not a Top 50 guy at this point. Everyone else is a “hidden gem” or foreign.

Talent overcomes a lot of deficiencies.
Change that reference to Hopkins and your second paragraph is correct

Change that reference to Hopkins and your second paragraph is correct
Hopkins didn’t get Coleman, Owens, Pearl, Autry, McRae, etc. There were great players at SU before Hop. If you want to argue he didn’t get those guys either then fine, don’t know the background of each one.
Hopkins was a huge loss, no question. But Boeheim did help with all of those recruitments, I would have to imagine.

Creates post admonishing the trashing of players

Within the post states 90% of the players aren’t good enough to be playing right now

Irony at its best

Hopkins didn’t get Coleman, Owens, Pearl, Autry, McRae, etc. There were great players at SU before Hop. If you want to argue he didn’t get those guys either then fine, don’t know the background of each one.
Hopkins was a huge loss, no question. But Boeheim did help with all of those recruitments, I would have to imagine.
Re-read the players you named...

I think there is a difference between pointing out a player's deficiencies and trashing him. I think the former is fine. I also think there has been a lot of discussion about why we are where we are that has not placed blame on the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom