I have waited to post | Syracusefan.com

I have waited to post

gilardino

Starter
This was a disaster weekend for cuse hoops. The team looked unprepared. They lacked energy. Showed no heart. This is on the coaching staff and players.

All JB keeps saying is we played good for a week last year. The difference last year is the team laid it all on the line every game. Our defense was stellar and we made baskets when needed. Oh and the whole team is back. Plus we added more talent. So how the heck can we be worse. It's not like we have all new players.

We will now be out of the top 25 and have an uphill battle. Don't come at me and say it's only November. The ACC will be brutal. If we lose any more no conferrnce games, hello
Bubble. A lot of tough games. Ohio State. The Hoyas. Buffalo. Saint Bonnie's to name a few.

If we want to have a chance this season, we have to run the table in the non conference.

IMO we will most likely have 4-5 non cinferrnce losses heading into ACC play. I hope I am wrong.

This was a disaster weekend for cuse hoops. The team looked unprepared. They lacked energy. Showed no heart. This is on the coaching staff and players.

All JB keeps saying is we played good for a week last year. The difference last year is the team laid it all on the line every game. Our defense was stellar and we made baskets when needed. Oh and the whole team is back. Plus we added more talent. So how the heck can we be worse. It's not like we have all new players.

We will now be out of the top 25 and have an uphill battle. Don't come at me and say it's only November. The ACC will be brutal. If we lose any more no conferrnce games, hello
Bubble. A lot of tough games. Ohio State. The Hoyas. Buffalo. Saint Bonnie's to name a few.

If we want to have a chance this season, we have to run the table in the non conference.

IMO we will most likely have 4-5 non cinferrnce losses heading into ACC play. I hope I am wrong.

"This is on the coaching staff and players. "

who the heck else would it be on? The Dome Ranger? Doug Logan? Wayne Mahar? The STM club?

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the locker room when the coaching staff ordered the team to shoot 11-50 from outside this weekend.

Do they write that on the blackboard before each game begins, or do they remind everyone during timeouts?

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall of the locker room when the coaching staff ordered the team to shoot 11-50 from outside this weekend.

Do they write that on the blackboard before each game begins, or do they remind everyone during timeouts?

Certainly true to an extent. To a large extent even.

I think it’s also fair to say that the lack of offensive flow and poor shot selection had something to do with the poor shooting.

That’s not unusual for this early in the year, especially with no real PG in the game.

Plenty of work to do. Bad start, but I think they’ll figure it out. Howard can’t get back soon enough.

Certainly true to an extent. To a large extent even.

I think it’s also fair to say that the lack of offensive flow and poor shot selection had something to do with the poor shooting.

That’s not unusual for this early in the year, especially with no real PG in the game.

Plenty of work to do. Bad start, but I think they’ll figure it out. Howard can’t get back soon enough.
If all we are supposed to take away from these last 2 games is make more shots than it’s implying the coaches are completely absolved from 1. Doing anything wrong or 2. Being held accountable for not adjusting.

This team sucked at scoring last year but we white knuckled and scrapped enough to just make it and win 3 games In the tournament.
If people just think the D didn’t play well either and it was just the offense they are wrong.
We have shot 11 for 50 from 3 but also gave up 83 and 80 points in back to back games we played at ND and UNC years ago.
We didn’t give up 80 in regulation last year once. Florida State took 2 OTs and scored 74 in regulation.

The defense and offense were both bad these last 2 games. The only reason I feel confident we will make the tournament is because that D will improve but our offense is going to suck if the only positive spin is make more shots.

...….The difference last year is the team laid it all on the line every game. Our defense was stellar and we made baskets when needed. Oh and the whole team is back. Plus we added more talent. So how the heck can we be worse. It's not like we have all new players.
…..

People tend to forget that the team had bad stretches last season, when the defense wasn't stellar enough and when baskets were had to get. Sometimes that was because the opponent made shots (as UConn did on Thursday) or the opponent had a special player or two (as Oregon had with Bol Bol). Even when we won, it was by scratching out close games.

Our team obviously has work to do -- on the boards, with shot selection, with ball movement. Too many turnovers & a very low number of assisted buckets. Frank can help with some of that, and he might be our best defender. JB has some challenges -- there is no silver bullet to fixing our center play or outside shooting. And still, this team will get better.

People tend to forget that the team had bad stretches last season, when the defense wasn't stellar enough and when baskets were had to get. Sometimes that was because the opponent made shots (as UConn did on Thursday) or the opponent had a special player or two (as Oregon had with Bol Bol). Even when we won, it was by scratching out close games.

Our team obviously has work to do -- on the boards, with shot selection, with ball movement. Too many turnovers & a very low number of assisted buckets. Frank can help with some of that, and he might be our best defender. JB has some challenges -- there is no silver bullet to fixing our center play or outside shooting. And still, this team will get better.
This would imply to expect a bubble season this year.
If this team is anywhere near the bubble on selection Sunday.
That would be 5 YEARS IN A ROW.
We are Syracuse not Seton Hall and as JeremyCuse said that would be Bobby Bowden at the end of his Florida State tenure territory.
This team needs to be a team that is a safe tournament team fighting for seed.
Not white knuckling games to make the tournament.

We are Syracuse not Seton Hall and as JeremyCuse said that would be Bobby Bowden at the end of his Florida State tenure territory.

Just trotting out "we are Syracuse" and we don't want to be a bubble team -- not very enlightening. This team needs to fix some very evident problems. It is going to take some work. Hughes & Carey are good additions to a our returning base. But "we are Syracuse" isn't much of a formula, is it?

Just trotting out "we are Syracuse" and we don't want to be a bubble team -- not very enlightening. This team needs to fix some very evident problems. It is going to take some work. Hughes & Carey are good additions to a our returning base. But "we are Syracuse" isn't much of a formula, is it?
We are Syracuse means the standard is higher.
If we are Seton Hall the frustration shouldn’t be high as the standard has never been high.
We went from 2010-2014 every year and where a top 4 seed in the NCAAT and only Kansas did that.
Since 2015 we have been a bubble team. The sanctions hurt no doubt but also the crap offense has caught up with us and the fact is we haven’t recruited a big who could score since McCollough who played 10 games and Rak Christmas graduated in 2015.

Our problems are on the staff recruiting decisions.

Last edited:
Our problems are on the staff recruiting decisions.
Can’t run nba iso without nba iso talent. It’s that simple.

Speaking of Bowden/Olsen/Dean Smith/etc, are there any examples of a legendary hoops coach riding into the sunset on a high note in the last 50 years? I can’t think of one. All those other schools were in a tough position just like we are. The coach earned the right to go out on his terms but that also means we have to watch while his empire crumbles. Really tough to see him go out like this.

Speaking of Bowden/Olsen/Dean Smith/etc, are there any examples of a legendary hoops coach riding into the sunset on a high note in the last 50 years? I can’t think of one. All those other schools were in a tough position just like we are. The coach earned the right to go out on his terms but that also means we have to watch while his empire crumbles. Really tough to see him go out like this.

Dean Smith went to the final four in his last season, and left behind a loaded team that went to the final four in the following season too.

He cut down the nets in the Carrier Dome after his last victory in the elite 8 in ‘97.

Dean left when he did because he wanted Bill Guthridge to get the job as his successor and then Roy after him.
He didn’t want Roy to leave Kansas till Guthridge got his chance.
Roy would have replaced Guthridge if he didn’t have a Freshman duo of Nick Collinson and Kirk Hinrich. It’s no coincidence he left Kansas right after they graduated.

Actually are basic problem is that with the exception of Red our staff isn't very good at recruiting. Gmac did a great job on JG but hasn't closed on any of our top targets since he was anointed by JB. Grif landed Baz but seems to have disappeared. JB is trying but lets face it unless a prospect is being raised by his Grandparents how can he connect?
I hope that we can turn the tide but it looks like we are going to miss out again.

Actually are basic problem is that with the exception of Red our staff isn't very good at recruiting. Gmac did a great job on JG but hasn't closed on any of our top targets since he was anointed by JB. Grif landed Baz but seems to have disappeared. JB is trying but lets face it unless a prospect is being raised by his Grandparents how can he connect?
I hope that we can turn the tide but it looks like we are going to miss out again.

Quincy doesn’t count? Goodine doesnt count? Carey doesn’t count?

I don’t really care which assistant supposedly gets the credit. We’re getting some good recruits.

Last edited:
Quincy doesn’t count? Goodine doesnt count? Carey doesn’t count?
I question our big man coach. These bigs have been here 3 years for Chukwu and 2 years for Sidibe and where the hell have they improved.

I question our big man coach. These bigs have been here 3 years for Chukwu and 2 years for Sidibe and where the hell have they improved.

Despite his struggles this year so far, I thought Chukwu was much improved last year.

We’ll see on Sidibe. It’s hard to improve when you’re recovering from surgery.

There are many issues right now, so do not take what I am going to say as a single factor.

Of course everybody knows our killer B's have turned into kissing B's.

Missing Frank is a wildcard as to how much of a difference he might have made.

Buddy has been a big negative so far. He is here to be a shooter. he has to make em. His form is too good, Makes will come. just didn't happen in the first few games.

The D has been slow on contesting treys - goes to the no energy point.

However, to me, a big rarely said difference between what we saw in the tournament is the play of Marek. In the tournament he played aggressively and was both a facilitator and a scorer. he got his while not impeding anybody else's production. This season, so far, he has not been the same. He must not be moving his feet too much because he has become foul prone and he is totally deferring his scoring. Now last year he was a starter, this year he may only get 15 to 20 minutes, but he has to make those minutes count. Just because you come off the bench that doesn't mean you should totally defer to everybody else.

Despite his struggles this year so far, I thought Chukwu was much improved last year.

We’ll see on Sidibe. It’s hard to improve when you’re recovering from surgery.
He is a defensive threat and can shoot FTs but he is a nonoffensive threat.
The bar is so low for Chukwu from 2 years ago that last year was good development.
He can’t post, he can’t shoot an elbow jumper, he can’t finish on a pick and roll.
As good as defense is the offense is nonexistent. You can’t win basketball games when you can’t score and by playing the 5 as a nonthreat offensively it allows a big defender to roam the paint and clog that from our guys who can score.
I am sorry but this is year 3 for Chukwu if the guy is still a nonthreat offensively what the hell is wrong with our big man coach.

But, but, we went to 2 FF's in 5 years! And, there were all those sanctions.;);)

you are spreading lies. Just stop.

can't deny they played pisspoor in nyc.
but my god the takes on here the past 3 days. maybe we will be this bad all year, who knows (evidence/roster makeup certainly point to that being highly unlikely) - but to make all these sweeping declarative takes on the program in November after 4 games is, well... syracusefan.com I guess

We are definitely on the bubble this year. Book it. And honestly, we will be as long as JB is coach, IMO. Love him and what he is to our program but the system he runs offensively is wayyyy outdated. And he shows no propensity to change (which is his MO, stubbornness). Until we revamp our offense and take a hard look at the program and how we recruit, we'll keep getting the same players with the same skill sets and it's Groundhog Day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom