I hope Calipari takes the Knicks job | Syracusefan.com

I hope Calipari takes the Knicks job

BlackSquirrels

2nd String
As a Knick fan, I hope Calipari takes their head coaching job next year. IMO Calipari is a very good coach. His UK teams are always strong defensively and he adjusts his offensive gameplans according to his players' abilities.

That being said, the reason I hope the Knicks hire Calipari has nothing to do with the future of the Knicks. I've come to the realization that it's very unlikely the Knicks will win a title under the leadership of James Dolan and I'm at peace with that. The Knicks' fortunes are tied to a trio of overpaid players who don't fit together and I have zero faith in New York's front office to manage this situation, whether the coach is Mike Woodson, John Calipari or Phil Jackson (hahaha!).

The real reason I want Calipari to coach the Knicks is the chaos such a move might cause at UK. The players left behind will be desperate to transfer and recruits will be desperate to get out of their LOIs. The sycophantic and delusional UK fans that have infected the Internet with their barely readable screeds in defense of Calipari will turn on him with a vengeance. We'll also get to see a massively hypocritical Calipari try to explain why he took the job after swearing allegiance to Big Blue Nation for the past few years.

Please let it happen.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Money has a loud voice.

dude... Calipari is NOT a good game coach in any way. The guy can recruit with bags of money, but the fact that he lost any games with that squad is a joke

As a Knick fan, I hope Calipari takes their head coaching job next year. IMO Calipari is a very good coach. His UK teams are always strong defensively and he adjusts his offensive gameplans according to his players' abilities.

That being said, the reason I hope the Knicks hire Calipari has nothing to do with the future of the Knicks. I've come to the realization that it's very unlikely the Knicks will win a title under the leadership of James Dolan and I'm at peace with that. The Knicks' fortunes are tied to a trio of overpaid players who don't fit together and I have zero faith in New York's front office to manage this situation, whether the coach is Mike Woodson, John Calipari or Phil Jackson (hahaha!).

The real reason I want Calipari to coach the Knicks is the chaos such a move might cause at UK. The players left behind will be desperate to transfer and recruits will be desperate to get out of their LOIs. The sycophantic and delusional UK fans that have infected the Internet with their barely readable screeds in defense of Calipari will turn on him with a vengeance. We'll also get to see a massively hypocritical Calipari try to explain why he took the job after swearing allegiance to Big Blue Nation for the past few years.

Please let it happen.

But how do you think he'll do having to compete against other teams that also pay players?

dude... Calipari is NOT a good game coach in any way. The guy can recruit with bags of money, but the fact that he lost any games with that squad is a joke

Sarcasm, right?

No man. Not sarcasm, don't mistake a good recruiter for a good coach. Calipari couldnt win a championship until he had 8 NBA players on his team. He didn't win it with Camby and $50,000, he didnt win it paying derrick rose and another loaded team. If you give Calipari the 2003 national championship team he doesnt crack the 3rd round of the tournament.

Please let it happen.

I personally do not think he is that great of a coach. He has had the # 1 recruiting class for the last 3 years and probably will add a fourth. I know many of those guys have left after 1 or 21 years, but if he was a good coach he should have won it all with the talent he had. He finally did this year, but with the team he had this year he shouldn't have lost a game. I think I could have coached this team to a national championship.

He actually was not endorsed by a former player of his now on the Knicks. Harrelson said his motivational techniques are not likely to fly in the pros. Too much yelling and screaming. FWIW.

1. Calipari is a GREAT recruiter and a very good coach. I wouldn't consider him a great coach in the (Coach K, wooden, knight class) but he's still a really good coach who can recruit.

2. I don't think he'll be an effective coach in the NBA because he already failed with the nets, and you can't out recruit anyone.

3. If calipari going to the knicks meant that we get Noels as a Knicks fan that's a sacrifice I am willing to make.

4. Brncusefrvcuseorwhatever you have a gift.

Please let it happen.

1- I'd like Cal to leave UK but not for the Knicks job. No doubt he's talented, and his knack for facilitating investments in basketball talent should help. But I'm not sure his skillset transfers to the pros and even if it does, I couldn't bear seeing his face whenever I watch the Knicks;
2- Maybe Dolan won't seem so bad when: the MSG rennovations are done and he's no longer distracted; he brings in a coach with a system that players like to run; and he signs a point guard that isn't a marketing experiment.
3- The sentence in red is funny. Watching the UK fanbase impload would be therapeutic after the year we've had.

I think Calipari is a very good college coach. As a Knick fan, I want no part of him as an NBA coach.

Funny how after most of the year the sentiment on the board was "Kentucky doesn't scare me, they aren't that great, etc" now it was a foregone conclusion they were going to win the title and apparently they should've gone undefeated.

If I can hijack your thread a little bit, your thoughts lead to a question. If Calimari did leave for the NBA, who do you think Kentucky targets at their next coach? Anybody want to throw out a short list of names they think would be reasonable?

If I can hijack your thread a little bit, your thoughts lead to a question. If Calimari did leave for the NBA, who do you think Kentucky targets at their next coach? Anybody want to throw out a short list of names they think would be reasonable?

Hmm; they'd probably throw a ton of money at either Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart, right? But they may not be the first choice.

I know one thing ... money would be no object (brad stevens at 10x his Butler salary).

Stevens/Smart were my first thoughts, but I don't know if they would go after a mid-major coach, regardless of their success. I'll throw out a few names for thought. Sean Miller from AZ? Backup a dump truck full of money into Izzo's driveway? Thad Motta? Jamie Dixon (this year hurts his chances)?

Stevens/Smart were my first thoughts, but I don't know if they would go after a mid-major coach, regardless of their success. I'll throw out a few names for thought. Sean Miller from AZ? Backup a dump truck full of money into Izzo's driveway? Thad Motta? Jamie Dixon (this year hurts his chances)?

Wow, Thad Matta would cause an OSU nation meltdown (and bring plenty of bank employee jobs to north-central Kentucky).

I was going to throw Dixon out there, but I wasn't sure since they were down this year.

Thad and Sean Miller; like both of those 2 names. Could easily see that.

If they can revive him and bring Tarkanian out of retirement they could continue the methodology and legacy that Calipari has so proudly built.

He actually was not endorsed by a former player of his now on the Knicks. Harrelson said his motivational techniques are not likely to fly in the pros. Too much yelling and screaming. FWIW.

Says the out-of-shape POS who he helped turn into an NBA player.

I think Calipari is a very good college coach. As a Knick fan, I want no part of him as an NBA coach.

Funny how after most of the year the sentiment on the board was "Kentucky doesn't scare me, they aren't that great, etc" now it was a foregone conclusion they were going to win the title and apparently they should've gone undefeated.

And the fact that we supposedly had the "deepest" team, and some said we were perfectly constructed for a title run. Yet we somehow did not win the title. But we have a convenient excuse with Fab being out.

Says the out-of-shape POS who he helped turn into an NBA player.
Lot's more to that story than you may know. He turned himself into an NBA player. Calipari completely ignored him until Harrelson took to the interweb and bitched about Calipari. After complaining that he was having great practices and not playing at all, Coach Cal did two things: He had the twitter account deactivated AND he started playing Harrelson, who helped Kentucky in the tournament. I have no idea what your issue is with Harrelson, but as a Knick fan, I'm glad to have him. All effort and no complaining.

And the fact that we supposedly had the "deepest" team, and some said we were perfectly constructed for a title run. Yet we somehow did not win the title. But we have a convenient excuse with Fab being out.

I have no idea if we could have beaten Kentucky but we did have the deepest team. There is no question that we were shafted and any other team that had the misfortune of having the game called the way we did would also have been left watching the title game...

Lot's more to that story than you may know. He turned himself into an NBA player. Calipari completely ignored him until Harrelson took to the interweb and bitched about Calipari. After complaining that he was having great practices and not playing at all, Coach Cal did two things: He had the twitter account deactivated AND he started playing Harrelson, who helped Kentucky in the tournament. I have no idea what your issue is with Harrelson, but as a Knick fan, I'm glad to have him. All effort and no complaining.

I don't have a problem with him, but he was nowhere near NBA caliber until he was challenged by the coaching staff to get in shape, and to his credit, responded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom