I know its only two days to find out but... | Syracusefan.com

I know its only two days to find out but...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
Curious on how our guard defense looks.
If we rate them 1-5 where would they fall in?
Will any of them be good at extending? Curious on Dions defense.
I was suprised by Cooney. He looks like a hard worker who doesn't bother conserving energy in one or two of those videos. Guys who are moving their arms and sliding hard in practice got to love it.

Im not to worried about the backline because CJ and Keita are scrappy. KJO put on some very very noticable strength and it will show. Melo,Rak, Southerland have us all curious to.

From what I am reading here Cooney is having the most difficulty adjusting to defense ... It's tough for freshman to grasp the complexities of defense in the zone ... so from the info here I would go with:

1) Triche
2) Scoop
3) Dion
4) MCW
5) Cooney

I have not seen any practices, but I can tell you I have only seen one freshman come in and play solid zone D right off the bat, and that was Triche who played the same (or similar) zone D in high school. Dont expect any of the freshmen to be great defenders coming out of the gate.

I'm curious about Dion's defense too, but its a bit early to make judgments like that. Wait until December or January to really judge how he is coming along. The zone is more complicated than you think, and it takes shape as the year progresses.

I was suprised by Cooney. He looks like a hard worker who doesn't bother conserving energy in one or two of those videos. Guys who are moving their arms and sliding hard in practice got to love it.

Im not to worried about the backline because CJ and Keita are scrappy. KJO put on some very very noticable strength and it will show. Melo,Rak, Southerland have us all curious to.

From articles, play last year...and my expectations...here is my list...this doesn't indicate starters but rather defensive ability:
1. Triche
2. MCW
3. Scoop
4. Waiters
5. Cooney

three elite eights since the eighties and you're worried about out guard defense.

You won't find out tomorrow...Stevie Thompson's minor leaguers won't give you the best indication of how our guards look. The Orange face tougher compeition in practice.

Yes, I know..."remember Lemoyne"...but I expect JB to rotate guys freely. We will be able to see which guys are more athletic than last year but we won't find out much more than that until we face some real competition in the pre-season NIT

You won't find out tomorrow...Stevie Thompson's minor leaguers won't give you the best indication of how our guards look. The Orange face tougher compeition in practice.

Yes, I know..."remember Lemoyne"...but I expect JB to rotate guys freely. We will be able to see which guys are more athletic than last year but we won't find out much more than that until we face some real competition in the pre-season NIT

Yep. The exhibition games will always have some players play great that won't be key cogs during the season and then others who won't look so good that are key cogs. They are really meaningless except to play against a team, not your teammates and for JB to try some things. I can see a Southerland playing great and a KJo almost going through the motions. Doesn't mean anything when the real games start.

three elite eights since the eighties and you're worried about out guard defense.

Good point! Let's speak of nothing but elite eights on this message board from now on! Kill all other lines of conversation!

Yep. The exhibition games will always have some players play great that won't be key cogs during the season and then others who won't look so good that are key cogs. They are really meaningless except to play against a team, not your teammates and for JB to try some things. I can see a Southerland playing great and a KJo almost going through the motions. Doesn't mean anything when the real games start.

Wasn't it Southerland who absolutely exploded in an exhibition a year or so back? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I'd expect the guys fighting for PT...MCW, Cooney, Southerland, Mookie, and maybe Baye to have big games against Stevie's Kids.

As for the others, I'd HOPE that they'd show effort every minute while they're on the court, in accordance with their elite pre-season ranking. But beyond that, I don't thing we'll learn a whole lot about this team.

I have not seen any practices, but I can tell you I have only seen one freshman come in and play solid zone D right off the bat, and that was Triche who played the same (or similar) zone D in high school. Dont expect any of the freshmen to be great defenders coming out of the gate.

I'm curious about Dion's defense too, but its a bit early to make judgments like that. Wait until December or January to really judge how he is coming along. The zone is more complicated than you think, and it takes shape as the year progresses.

It's only practice, but MCW looks surprisingly quick on defense here .. starting at about the 30 second mark:

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2011/10/meet_the_orange_syracuse_fresh.html

so ive learned that people rank our players based on articles they've read and freely admit it like its the right thing to do :bang:
Untilwe actually see them play (not counting the exhibitions) all we have to go on is what has been observed and what has been reported ... and what we have seen from last year. I don't think that's a head banger ... when you ask for a projection that is a hypothetical based on the above information.

After the games (not exhibitions) start we will obviously have a clearer picture of the projections either confiming
or disconfirming the hypotheses.

Good point! Let's speak of nothing but elite eights on this message board from now on! Kill all other lines of conversation!
I think you are limiting yourselves ... think butterflies, blue skies, flowers ... and Final Fours.

I guess our hypotheses will begin being confirmed or not beginning on November 12 and ending in March ... a hypothesis is just a hypothesis based on available information ... to be determined true or false at a later date with additional data. The end. I'm no longer in a debating mood.

Ahhh ... TY for that info. BTW we engage in hypthesis testing in the "real world" all the time - unless of course one has damage or disorder to the prefrontal lobe resulting in habitual impulsive thought and behavior. Decisions are typically made as "what if" comparisons which are nothing more than developing hypotheses about the consequences of different forms of actions in relation to the decisions. If the consequence is positive than that confirms the hyothesis ... if negative than it disconfirms the hypothesis. Ergo, that is how things work in the real world. And on what do we base our decision-considerations (hypotheses) but the information and data that is immediately available to us. Of course we can project possible outcomes and base our hypothesis (decision) on that ... ergo you make business decisions, as well as recruiting decisions ... based on available and projected information and data. :)

so ive learned that people rank our players based on articles they've read and freely admit it like its the right thing to do :bang:

Not sure what you would expect people to go on at this point. Unless you are one of the few lucky enough to watch a couple of practices then its last season, MM and second hand info. It is a discussion board after all, not to mention plenty will disagree about this player or that player even when we are 10 games in and have all watched the same 10 games.

We are talking basketball rankings and in the real world all the best talent is seen in person and ranked that way based on performance by people who were actually there and not reading a column on the internet and taking someomes 2nd hand info and going off that as of it was credible information. thats why coaches, gurus , and scouts travel to gyms across america to get a first hand look.

Its a discussion on an internet fan board. A poster asked a question other posters offerred their opinions. We are all qualified to give our own opinions because they are ours.

We are talking basketball rankings and in the real world all the best talent is seen in person and ranked that way based on performance by people who were actually there and not reading a column on the internet and taking someomes 2nd hand info and going off that as of it was credible information. thats why coaches, gurus , and scouts travel to gyms across america to get a first hand look.

How do they do pre-season rankings?

Actually,you have proven my point ... the scouts go across the country, etc. and gather data and they project a hypothesis based on that data ... that hypothesis isn't confirmed until the kid plays in college. Per Jordoo (Thanks) the only info and data we have to develop (project) hypotheses is whatever information is available to us. We make a decision based on that info ... right or wrong its all we got.

Ahhh ... TY for that info. BTW we engage in hypthesis testing in the "real world" all the time - unless of course one has damage or disorder to the prefrontal lobe resulting in habitual impulsive thought and behavior. Decisions are typically made as "what if" comparisons which are nothing more than developing hypotheses about the consequences of different forms of actions in relation to the decisions. If the consequence is positive than that confirms the hyothesis ... if negative than it disconfirms the hypothesis. Ergo, that is how things work in the real world. And on what do we base our decision-considerations (hypotheses) but the information and data that is immediately available to us. Of course we can project possible outcomes and base our hypothesis (decision) on that ... ergo you make business decisions, as well as recruiting decisions ... based on available and projected information and data. :)
r we getting overly philosophical...got out my dictionary and think I know what you are intimating...an hypothesis is nothing more that some thought supported by minimal information...I think we should be discussing final 4 tendencies and what we need to do is WIN

Jason Hart was a defensive force from his first day on the team. It was his pounding the rock, not getting into the offense quickly enough, and a modest outside shooting touch that were his areas for cricism. Nobody picked up the defense quicker than him.

Doesn't JB usually play man-to-man in exhibition games to show his team they can't play man-to-man? I know he did against LeMoyne.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom