I like food. Food tastes good. Smoking/grilling | Syracusefan.com

I like food. Food tastes good. Smoking/grilling

RandomGuy

All American
Post up your BBQ, or just plain ole good food..

I was going to to call the thread Smoke if you got 'em, but I listened to this song. My favorite PHD molecular Biologist, professor.

Wagyu injected beef brisket on the smoker. (Mmm). I did NOT smoke the tallow before injecting. I will take the tallow in the catch pan, to paint the butchers paper for a wrap. Highly recommend wagyu tallow for a brisket. I've seen Japanese Wagyu A5 brisket go for $1500. Not happening. This is the next best thing.

Some Brisket pics of past. I prefer to smoke the point. Harder to mess up.

Screenshot_20220116-142233_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-142440_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-142406_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-142939_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
2 hour cold smoked, then smoked, then seared Prime Ribeye. Refrigerate after 1st hour cold smoke, so the meat pulls the seasoning in.

The best steak I've ever eaten in my life. The only thing that could have improved it, was a 45 day age. Still pink from edge to edge, but smokey as all ****. Even the outside of the ribeye is red, due to the smoke chemical reaction. The smoke dissolved the fat band, on one. Made for perfectly juicy on the inside. This never hit an internal temp of 130F. Anything over 128 is blasphemy. Any smoking over 115-118 is a mistake, if you are going to reverse sear.(900 degrees)

Screenshot_20220116-142803_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-142814_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Post up your BBQ, or just plain ole good food..

I was going to to call the thread Smoke if you got 'em, but I listened to this song. My favorite PHD molecular Biologist, professor.

Wagyu injected beef brisket on the smoker. (Mmm). I did NOT smoke the tallow before injecting. I will take the tallow in the catch pan, to paint the butchers paper for a wrap. Highly recommend wagyu tallow for a brisket. I've seen Japanese Wagyu A5 brisket go for $1500. Not happening. This is the next best thing.

Some Brisket pics of past. I prefer to smoke the point. Harder to mess up.

View attachment 212858View attachment 212859View attachment 212860View attachment 212861
So where do you get the wagyu tallow brisket? Do you have to special order through your butcher, or is there a place near you that sells it?

So where do you get the wagyu tallow brisket? Do you have to special order through your butcher, or is there a place near you that sells it?

Its good. You inject it. If it didn't make me feel guilty, I'd butter my bread with it. Lol. It lasts a while. If you were grinding your own hamburg and threw some in? Damn. (Now I have to try that)

Another interesting thing about tallow. Its what the Belgians used when they invented French fries. French fries in beef tallow? OMG. Vegetable oil tastes like crap. Wagyu tallow is better than butter. The Wagyu tallow would be too expensive for this experiment.

(Moules Frites is considered the National dish in Belgium. Twice fried French fries in Tallow, with Mussels)

Last edited:
If you smoke brisket. Inject it with Wagyu tallow. Supposedly, Franklin BBQ's secret. Often called the best brisket in America.

I almost forgot how good it is. Damn. 6lbs point. 1/2 lb for my wife, The other 5.5 lbs for 3 of us. Nothing will save a select grade Brisket. The tallow will take a Choice brisket to a whole nutha level.

Commercially injected meat is horrible. Quite the opposite at home. For competition style chicken, an Apple juice, butter and Garlic injection is awesome. And obviously, I smoke it.

Check out bark on this marinated injected chicken. Mmmm...

Screenshot_20220116-143601_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Speaking of chicken. It doesn't get much love in the smoking world. A spatchcock is delicious, while others may go for a beer can chicken. Thats about it.. If there is skin, it gets weird low n slow.

Regardless of skin. I've found that a cold smoke( no heat, use a smoke tube), followed by a low n slow, can impart some great smoke flavor. Chicken likes it hot, so turn it up afterwards. If you want some bark? Add some sugar. Raw or turbinado. It uniquely crystallizes with heat. (The only acceptable sugar in chocolate chip cookies, imo)

Here's the same smoke. Some habenero heat with natural sugar, and a garlic lemon herb marinade. Note that the sugar content aided in creating a bark vs. No sugar.

Screenshot_20220116-143526_Gallery.jpg

Same deal with chicken legs. Low n slow for flavor. Fire it up to crisp the skin. I only use hangers for legs. When you hang them, the natural fat in the legs will heat up and FRY them from the inside. Fantastic. Cajun rub. No sugar, low carb friendly.
Screenshot_20220116-142835_Gallery.jpg

Fresh north Atlantic seafood straight off the boat is one of the best things on planet earth. I used to go out at least 3 times a year. It doesn't get better than when it was swimming that morning. ;-)

After that? Wild Alaskan salmon, smoked on a cedar plank, with homemade fresh mango salsa, is a pairing on par with peanut butter and chocolate. Maybe better.

Sometimes I'll smoke breakfast. Cold smoked salmon is silky smooth, but requires smoking under 38 degrees. LOX. (Favorite) (The smoke cures it). For warm months I'll hot smoke it. (175). Store bought often resembles the texture of tuna fish. (Mehh) Much better at home. Brined. A fan to help develop a pellicle. Apricot preserve for some sweet. (Surprisingly good.) Breakfast should be delicious too.

Screenshot_20220116-143346_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-143400_Gallery.jpg

And scallops on the grill are good, too. Sear burner.

Screenshot_20220116-143147_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I'd love some input from others in their grilling experience. Until then? I'm quite obsessed.

I've found that Mexican/Latin food is fantastic smoked. My best smoked meal is probably Latin pork rice and beans. Don't let the low rent name fool you.
It will silence your usually noisy table. Marinated in bitter orange(NCAA banned substance) Rub as you will. Fresh lime in the rice and beans, with extra garlic. Topped with Latin slaw(honey,fresh lime and potato sticks.) Finished with garlic crema(sour cream, cream, garlic lime) and complemented with a mustard based hot sauce. Preferably carribean based(Barron's) with scotch Bonnets, although Habenero will do. Instant favorite.

Way back when, a guy owned a burger joint. Bell' s hamburgers. Across the street was an authentic Mexican place. Lines out the door. He decided to try and do that, but had no idea the ingredients, or what he was doing. That man was Mr. Taco Bell. Every Taco kit in your supermarket is, a Taco bell Taco. Not even close.

Here's the original Taco. Cochinita Pibil. Passed down from the Aztecs. Improved 500 years ago.. Suckling baby pig cooked in a pit. Marinated with bitter orange(NCAA banned) and Achiote(plus spices) Wrapped in a Banana leaf for Aroma. Its pretty freaking good. Served with pickled red onion(in bitter orange) and Habenero. Tomatillo salsa if you desire.

Screenshot_20220116-143251_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220116-143241_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a pit boss wood pellet smoker this summer. Had zero experience. Have done a few pork butts, a buncha tri tips, ribs, chicken, a ham.

My last two pork butts haven’t been anywhere near as good as the first one.

I’m always looking for new recipes to try!

While Cochinita Pibil is the real deal? Lebanese immigrants may have upped that Taco game with the introduction of the vertical spit. Again. Pork marinated in bitter orange/achiote with more habenero, but sliced thinly. Its cooked on a spit, but the kicker is that a fresh pineapple sits atop. It drips down and carmalizes the meat. I've tried many times at home. Hint. Turning your rotisserie on its side isn't quite right.

This may just be meat perfection.
Taco al Pastor
Screenshot_20220116-143445_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I picked up a pit boss wood pellet smoker this summer. Had zero experience. Have done a few pork butts, a buncha tri tips, ribs, chicken, a ham.

Nice!

I have a firebox smoker. They are the best, hands down. But its small, and requires tending every 20 minutes. Don't buy an offset unless it has a BIG firebox.

The pellet grill is a fire and forget about it weapon. Terribly convenient. Not as smoky as an offset. BUT its easy, and I've been able to use it as many as 13 outta 14 days in the summer.

I highly recommend an Amazen smoke tube. Some debate if it actually creates the deep blue smoke we want. I dont smoke without it. If you stuff it with woodchips? You can smell the sweetness in the smoke.

Pellets aren't created equal. You can grab the ACTUAL hardwood pellets it says it is on the package, from . Lumberjack brand. You'll smell the difference. Most other brands are just OAK with wood oil flavoring. (Hickory flavoring in oak, not actual Hickory.etc...) That includes Traeger and Weber. Choose the inexpensive pit boss pellets every time over them . Same thing. Lumber jack pellets if you are looking for more.(the actual wood it says it is on the package) (I'm fine with pit boss pellets, btw.) Lumber jack for guests.

Sorry to hear about your last 2 pork butts. They are most definitely what you learn your grill on. The most forgiving. What was different in the finished product?

Did you smoke the last 2 quicker? Or change pellet brand? Did you rest it?

Last edited:
While Cochinita Pibil is the real deal? Lebanese immigrants may have upped that Taco game with the introduction of the vertical spit. Again. Pork marinated in bitter orange/achiote with more habenero, but sliced thinly. Its cooked on a spit, but the kicker is that a fresh pineapple sits atop. It drips down and carmalizes the meat. I've tried many times at home. Hint. Turning your rotisserie on its side isn't quite right.

Taco al Pastor
View attachment 212901
Al Pastor is literally my favorite food. Usually head to Mexico 2 or 3 times every year and gorge myself on Al Pastor in every format offered.

As far as brisket and smoked meats, I lived in Texas for 2 years while my wife finished up at the Bush School at A&M and it was my goal during that time to try and knock off as many of the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints during our time there. Once you have some of the elite tier brisket there, it pretty much ruins all other brisket for you. My elite grouping consists of La Barbecue, Truth, Snow's and Franklin, as you mentioned.

Nice. Al Pastor is a definite treat. Only one place around here has it. Not on a spit. You can do it in the oven/pan but you lose the fire goodness, and the pineapple carmalizing every bite. Needs the spit.

Brisket can be difficult. The point is more forgiving. Easy to mess up the flat. Wagyu tallow definitely improves a home brisket. If you must wrap past the stall(Texas crutch) butchers paper help keeps the bark in tact. Aluminum foil ruins it by making the bark mushy.

My experience, anyways. In lieu of going to Texas for proper brisket, you can make a pretty damn good one at home.

1.6M views on this vid. For good reason. . Check how juicy the wagyu brisket is, and how tallow can turn a choice brisket into something FAR better. Dont waste your time with a select brisket.

Any and all tips welcome, for what works for your methods.

Last edited:

Taco al Pastor
View attachment 212901
Use wagyu next time you make that. Wagyu bottom round.

Pork butts are pretty simple. Plenty of ways to prepare, and everyone has a favorite. My personal preferences. Always after trimming, and any skin removed.

American: I slather it with cheap mustard the night before. Where steak tips love a 4 or 5 day marinade, pork can get mushy with too much acid. So less than 24 hours for me. Next morning, your favorite rub. I'll sometimes add more mustard because I like a thick rub. 8, 10 hours at 225. I always add a smoke tube, because pellet grills don't generate enough, compared to stick burner. Never wrapped. Never basted. I like a black crispy bark. Always rested, for up to an hour. You can tent it(not wrapped), to let some heat escape. The juices will pour right out if you don't rest it.

Latin. Always marinated in bitter orange.(ncaa banned). Goya product name is N'aranga. If no bitter orange, a mixture of OJ, Lime Juice, and grapefruit will suffice. I may or may not add mustard before my favorite rub. After the rest, for pork,rice and beans, I'll hack off serving sizes with as much bark as possible. I'll sprinkle the cut edges with my rub, and quickly sear those sides in cast iron. A nice crisp all around, succulent on the inside. The rest is for cubanos.

For pibil(and many other Mexican style meats) achiote and garlic added to the bitter orange marinade. No rub for pibil. The bitter orange/banana leaf Aroma is what I go for.

Use wagyu next time you make that. Wagyu bottom round.
Wagyu bottom round? Its pork, but im sure it would add a nice flavor.

For beef smoked chuck Barbacoa, it may be the ticket. Its good, but can sometimes lack some juices. Either a Barbacoa injection or wagyu might be the right call. Either that or find some beef cheeks.

Smoked Barbacoa
Screenshot_20220116-143630_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220116-143614_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Al Pastor is literally my favorite food. Usually head to Mexico 2 or 3 times every year and gorge myself on Al Pastor in every format offered.

As far as brisket and smoked meats, I lived in Texas for 2 years while my wife finished up at the Bush School at A&M and it was my goal during that time to try and knock off as many of the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints during our time there. Once you have some of the elite tier brisket there, it pretty much ruins all other brisket for you. My elite grouping consists of La Barbecue, Truth, Snow's and Franklin, as you mentioned.
I think those elite brisket joints are using prime grade. At least they are on the shows i watch. I presume an American Wagyu will do the trick, too. I'll stick with the cost effective injection.

I think those elite brisket joints are using prime grade.
I splurged and bought Snake River Farms wagyu brisket, and I probably won't get any other brisket. Their plate ribs are out of the world as well. I am a proponent of high quality meat. I take pictures of my smokes, and usually the pictures are too big to post. I will screen shot like you did if I cannot post my next cook. I just got a 1/4 cow and have some good cuts lined up.

Hot damn. I've heard about snake River. Grade makes a difference, but I usually skip prime unless its on sale. I've never seen a prime brisket. Our good butcher "went out of business" for laundering sports betting $$ through his 6 shops. No more 45+ day aged beef for any of us...lol.

How much per $$ for the snake River Briskett? For reference, this weekend Walmart had full packer for $4.96/lb. Couldn't find the grade, so picked up just the point, elsewhere for $4.99/lbs. The flat is a buck or 2 more. (Choice angus)

Snake River Farms is approximately $10 to $15 a pound. It is trimmed up mostly. No need to inject. On my last one, I did line the butcher paper with wagyu tallow, and I did not notice a big difference.

Snake River Farms is approximately $10 to $15 a pound. It is trimmed up mostly. No need to inject. On my last one, I did line the butcher paper with wagyu tallow, and I did not notice a big difference.
Not too bad. I see they ship frozen. I dont prefer previously frozen steak. Even hamburg is different after you freeze it. (Won't stay together, etc. ) Sounds like frozen doesn't mess the brisket up too much? Either that or the wagyu is so much better to start with, it doesn't matter. ;-)

Traeger has a cookbook for pellet grills. Give it a try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom