I loathe Pat Forde | Syracusefan.com

I loathe Pat Forde

When I read the article this morning, it reminded me of everything you posted last night. Can't really argue with what he says. It's too bad.

It really is. I loved and I mean loved the bowls growing up. Lived for that time of year. Not I could really care less outside of about 3-4 games.

It really is. I loved and I mean loved the bowls growing up. Lived for that time of year. Not I could really care less outside of about 3-4 games.
Me too. Maybe it's what happens when you grow up. I don't know?

You know what my biggest problem with the bowls is these days?

There are 35 bowls, so 70 teams play. However, there are only 124 FBS teams (four of which are transitional). That means 56% of all FBS teams compete in bowl games, and that's not factoring in the Penn State's and Ohio State's of the world (and are transitional schools even eligible?).

The bowl system is so watered down it's absurd.

Doesn't bother me-Why should I care if more College guys get to experience a Bowl game?

Wait, I may have read your post wrong...you don't care if they experience a bowl, correct? Then I disagree because they have worked hard and should have a chance to play in a bowl and as long as the kids vote yes who am I to say no?

You know what my biggest problem with the bowls is these days?

There are 35 bowls, so 70 teams play. However, there are only 124 FBS teams (four of which are transitional). That means 56% of all FBS teams compete in bowl games, and that's not factoring in the Penn State's and Ohio State's of the world (and are transitional schools even eligible?).

The bowl system is so watered down it's absurd.

And yet, Syracuse only managed to make 3 Bowls from 2002 through 2o12.

Who cares if it's watered down?

Only two teams get to play for the title anyways... The Bowls are in place to 1) Make money and 2) Make money - that's it.

But in the process, fans get to see often interesting match-ups they otherwise would never see.

They're just a bunch of fun games that aren't on the schedule when the season starts - that's it.

To pretend the mean anything (the don't) or affect anything (never have, never will) is a waste of energy.

If you just accept that a bunch of fun games appear out of no where, then the Bowls are fun.

But if you get all riled up 'cause there's too many Bowls, all I can say is that horse left the barn.

Doesn't bother me-Why should I care if more College guys get to experience a Bowl game?
But at the same time, it completely dilutes the product. Would you be in favor of the NCAA Tournament expanding to 128 teams so that more kids can experience playing in it?

At some point, don't you have to earn a postseason berth, rather than getting it more or less by default?

Wait, I may have read your post wrong...you don't care if they experience a bowl, correct? Then I disagree because they have worked hard and should have a chance to play in a bowl and as long as the kids vote yes who am I to say no?

You misread my post-I was disagreeing with the original post. It doesn't bother me if lots of schools get to go to a Bowl. If they're at least .500 and want to go and people want to pay for them to go, let them go and have a blast!

But at the same time, it completely dilutes the product. Would you be in favor of the NCAA Tournament expanding to 128 teams so that more kids can experience playing in it?

At some point, don't you have to earn a postseason berth, rather than getting it more or less by default?

It's one game, not a playoff.

You misread my post-I was disagreeing with the original post. It doesn't bother me if lots of schools get to go to a Bowl. If they're at least .500 and want to go and people want to pay for them to go, let them go and have a blast!

OK...that's what I thought you wrote and then I read it again and wasn't so sure. Me fail english, that's unpossible.

It's different if you have a playoffs like the NCAA Tournament (and even there, the mediocre teams can often go to the NIT). Once you have this Bowl system (which isn't as good as the Tournament IMO) , why not let as many kids enjoy it as possible-Each game is separate. Everyone knows there's a big difference between making a BCS game and a lesser bowl. Ideally, you'd have 8 teams in a playoff and let the other schools do a Bowl game, so you have the best of both worlds.

The difference is, in the NCAA Basketball Tournament, those teams are ALL actually playing for something.

With the Bowls, only TWO teams are. (with two more added when they go to a "playoff")

Who cares if more teams play Bowls... In the grand scheme they don't mean anything to anyone... They're just an excuse for fans to watch a fun game with friends and reward college kids for a long difficult season with a trip to a new city, some sweat pants and a Bowl-Logo jacket.

The difference is that in the tournament the NC is on the line EVERY game. It's a true playoff and your entry into a playoff should be earned. There is one bowl that matters now... 1 vs 2. Thats it. Sure the KState vs Oregon game is an interesting match up but its just as meaningless as Duke vs Cincy. Ill probably watch both games but Ill bet you most average football fans wouldnt care if they missed either game cuz there only one game they HAVE to see. Bowls are for the players and programs to have some fun and get some exposure. Is there maybe 5 or 10 bowl games too many? Sure. But who cares? Its a college football game to watch when you could have nothing.

The current bowl system sucks. Unless you follow a particular school, there is only one game that everyone is focused on -- the championship game. The others are mostly bad matchups made for reasons that have nothing to do with competitiveness or attractiveness to fans. When the system changes in 2 years there will be 3 games that people care about. Whoopty do. The sport needs a legitimate 16 game (or at least an 8 game) playoff. That would generate great matchups that would have meaning. Maybe in another 20 years.

I think there really are too many. Must be some compromise somewhere.

Yeah, Forde's article is dead on.

In my view, at minimum, there should be a 16 team playoff. A 15th ranked A&M team went into Bama and put it on them when most of the pundits were saying they couldn't be beat, some goof balls even saying they could beat a lower tier NFL team. What a joke. An unranked and very average Pitt team had ND on the ropes in South Bend, and arguably should've won. K-State was putting a world of hurt on everyone, before running into a mediocre Baylor team, etc., etc.

We all know it's about the $$$ and the rich getting richer, in this case, the power conferences. The school presidents & BCS bowl fanboys and supporters of it are as credible as Romney's failed attempt to spin his 47% comment. Trying to get a very educated sports public to see their angle and bogus persuasion is so incredibly pompus and condencending, it's darn right aggravating. There's only one difference between the FBS schools that don't have a playoff system and the all the other lower division levels that play college football which do...the $$$, period! Well, probably one other thing, they're better students.../athletes.

I hope someday they do have a legitimate (at least 16 teams) playoff for the FBS schools. The FBS schools that haven't earned a playoff spot, can go and play in the bowl games, treating those as a second tier thing, similar to the basketball teams that don't make it to the field of 68, but go onto the post-season NIT...

Yeah, Forde's article is dead on.

In my view, at minimum, there should be a 16 team playoff. A 15th ranked A&M team went into Bama and put it on them when most of the pundits were saying they couldn't be beat, some goof balls even saying they could beat a lower tier NFL team. What a joke. An unranked and very average Pitt team had ND on the ropes in South Bend, and arguably should've won. K-State was putting a world of hurt on everyone, before running into a mediocre Baylor team, etc., etc.

We all know it's about the $$$ and the rich getting richer, in this case, the power conferences. The school presidents & BCS bowl fanboys and supporters of it are as credible as Romney's failed attempt to spin his 47% comment. Trying to get a very educated sports public to see their angle and bogus persuation is so incredibly pompus and condencending, it's darn right aggravating. There's only one difference between the FBS schools that don't have a playoff system and the all the other lower division levels that play college football which do...the $$$, period! Well, probably one other thing, they're better students.../athletes.

I hope someday they do have a legitimate (at least 16 teams) playoff for the FBS schools. The FBS schools that haven't earned a playoff spot, can go and play in the bowl games, treating those as a second tier thing, similar to the basketball teams that don't make it to the field of 68, but go onto the post-season NIT...

I would love to see a 16 team playoff. That would be incredible.

No one can say a 16 team playoff wouldn't work because they are worried about missed class time or whatever excuse they want to use, either, since FCS has a 20 team playoff that seems to work just fine. The bowl system, and the insane number of bowls, is about money and nothing else.

I'm with you. New Year's Day 30 years ago featured:

#1 vs #2
#4 vs #6
#3 vs #13
#5 vs #19
# 11 vs #12

There was nothing better than sitting down on the couch at noon and watching football until midnight. Always great matchups.

This year, there will be:

#7 vs unranked
#11 vs #18
#12 vs #17
#14 vs #19
2 other games where all teams are unranked.

Brutal. Here's to hoping that there are some good college hoops games on that day.

The minute they started over-emphasizing the sponsors for Bowl games, most fans lost interest.
Growing up you had the Sugar, Cotton, Rose, & Orange Bowls...and the name itself was most prominent.
Now you have to navigate the:
Poulin-WeedEater Independence Bowl,
the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl,
the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl,
the Beef O'Brady Bowl,
or the Roto-Rooter Flush Bowl...OK- that last one is made up, but you get the point. ;)
It's no longer the bowl itself that's prominent, its the sponsor.
I know I tune out and wouldn't know the difference, except for the teams that are playing.
The casual fan couldn't care less until the big ones on New Year's Day.

Can you imagine what he would have had to say about us if we had somehow managed to beat Rutgers or Cinci? Actually, it would have been fun just to hear his rant.

Can you imagine what he would have had to say about us if we had somehow managed to beat Rutgers or Cinci? Actually, it would have been fun just to hear his rant.

I thought about this last night. I think it would have been more accepted as someone from the Big East was going regardless but it still would have been entertaining.