I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving | Syracusefan.com

I love the off season banter with regard to transfers coming and going, coordinators leaving

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
assistants leaving and Dino waxing poetic. at the end of the day Dino needs to get this program to a bowl game again next year. This rest of this stuff doesn’t matter. 6-7 wins or bust. He’s playing poker right now and hopefully it works out and I am 100% hoping it does. Maybe he can blame buzz shaw if he only wins 5 games next year , who knows

People act as if only SU loses staff. Everyone loses staff, at every level. The top tier P5 schools lose coordinators to other schools as HCs, and lose staff to the NFL, constantly.

Every tier below that loses coaches as they advance up and across the food chain.

People get so myopic about SU. I get it, that’s the school we follow. But the hysteria is a bit silly. This stuff happens to literally every school at every level.

Imagine if someone was a casual fan and checked out after Christmas and then checked back in after Labor Day? They would be rather confused.

They would walk it off though by walking up and down my aisle constantly w nachos and soda in hand during live play so it’s all good I guess.

People act as if only SU loses staff. Everyone loses staff, at every level. The top tier P5 schools lose coordinators to other schools as HCs, and lose staff to the NFL, constantly.

Every tier below that loses coaches as they advance up and across the food chain.

People get so myopic about SU. I get it, that’s the school we follow. But the hysteria is a bit silly. This stuff happens to literally every school at every level.
I think people realize this isn’t just an SU thing. The problem is the B10 and SEC are leaving everybody in the dust, which was always going to happen and shouldn’t be a surprise. I just find it strange that people say they understand the gap between the halves and have nots is widening but then try to spin that this new normal will be an advantage for SU? I think we got lucky that guys like Mikel and Tuck stayed for less last year, but this is going to be an annual thing where we are going to lose our best players that we identify and developed. We basically went from a program that had to depend on developing players to trading those would be veterans for unproven transfers from other schools where they didn’t play for one reason or another .

Florida just had the 7th rated QB decommit over a disagreement over a $13m NIL deal… for the 7th rated dual threat QB!! That’s a whole different league than us and anybody who thinks we can continue to compete is going to be disappointed.

Just imagine if Buzz Shaw saw how things work now!

Last edited:
Rocky Long
Yeah I think we need to see what happens next. Dino has done a good job of replacing lost talent and upgrading where possible. I’m eager to see who we bring on next.

I think people realize this isn’t just an SU thing. The problem is the B10 and SEC are leaving everybody in the dust, which was always going to happen and shouldn’t be a surprise. I just find it strange that people say they understand the gap between the halves and have nots is widening but then try to spin that this new normal will be an advantage for SU? I think we got lucky that guys like Mikel and Tuck stayed for less last year, but this is going to be an annual thing where we are going to lose our best players that we identify and developed. We basically went from a program that had to depend on developing players to trading those would be veterans for unproven transfers from other schools where they didn’t play for one reason or another .

Florida just had the 7th rated QB decommit over a disagreement over a $13m NIL deal… for the 7th rated dual threat QB!! That’s a whole different league than us and anybody who thinks we can continue to compete is going to be disappointed.

I’ve been watching the Florida quarterback story, what a world we’re in right now. And it’s largely out of the head coaches hands as he can’t control the collectives. Just nuts.

Looks like we’re gonna need state money and bigger boosters to stay competitive but oh well this is why I don’t worry about this sht anymore. I went and got a life, good suggestion Buzz, thanks. lol.

I look at the coaching changes as an opportunity to improve recruiting. The status quo was nothing to write home about. Who Dino hires for these two openings will be very telling. They will determine the direction of the program. Beck and Long were home runs. Let’s see who the next two will be.

We operate like the program is perpetually 10-11 win well oiled machine. losing people always stinks if they were valued but let's be real for a second: the guys they bring in will probably approximate the results, recruiting wise and performance wise, within 10% of what the expectation already is.

College football is going to be a series of one year teams now with the portal, NIL, etc. You can't look to ANY of the players as 4 year legacy builders.

The one positive. I’ve always hated the end of the season. Luckily this year it was extended with a bowl game. And being a Bears fan offers zero relief for an extended football season.

So when ‘cuse plays its last game I’m always dying for the season to start again. Gotta say, if anything, there’s been no shortage of reasons to waste my day on this board since the season ended. It’s been…. exciting….?

0 interest in retaining Dino if we dont make a bowl next year.

The hole this program’s dug itself is deep enough

Let’s wait to see how things play out before assuming we’re sunk. People said that after Anae left, after White left, Duce, etc. This is the first time I remember the program responding as well as it could to all these hits and potentially coming out better.

I don’t have to put orange glasses on to envision a good D (defense you dirty…), I don’t need to put orange glasses on to envision a good O next year. There is zero reason to believe we shouldn’t have another fun season next year and in the last 20+ years, that’s been more than a rarity.

I’ve felt a kick to the….. every time these moves have happened. But I gotta say, we’ve done beyond my wildest expectations in the hiring and recruiting portal players. Just getting the hiring right once is hard enough. We’ve filled both sides of the ball with guys you should be excited for.

The big question mark now is we need recruiters. But we’re paying more than we did even 5 years ago. We can make a couple smart hires and continue pulling ourselves out of this black hole we’ve been in.

I’ve been watching the Florida quarterback story, what a world we’re in right now. And it’s largely out of the head coaches hands as he can’t control the collectives. Just nuts.

Looks like we’re gonna need state money and bigger boosters to stay competitive but oh well this is why I don’t worry about this sht anymore. I went and got a life, good suggestion Buzz, thanks. lol.
Read one of the articles online. Oddly, in the entire article there was no mention of where this $13 million was coming from and more importantly, precisely what services this kid is providing to earn that kind of money.

What could a 17-18 year old kid possibly do that’s worth $13 million? He must be one hell of a spokesperson, or his autograph must look like a Michelangelo.

Last edited:
Hire Streeter as TE coach, recruiting coordinator.

• As recruiting coordinator from 2014-19, he spearheaded Clemson’s top-10 classes according to Rivals in five of the six years, including the record No. 2 class for 2020 that also ranked No. 1 according to ESPN.

I can't wait for some of the posters on this board making excuses about all the coaching turnover next year when we only go 5-7/6-6 . If we don't go minimum 7-5 next year, Dino needs to go. He's a great face for the university, but the coaching/recruiting just isn't there.

You turn everything into a doon-and-gloom post about NIL. That’s fine, have at it if that’s how you want to approach things.

In this specific case we have a guy who was a position coach for 7 years who got a promotion to the state where he’s from. Like it or not, Minnesota always had more resources than SU. Or do we do not remember a certain AD who bolted for there a few years ago? And that was before NIL and the latest TV deal.

Look, maybe 5 years from now we’ll all look up from the Mad Max Fury Road-like wasteland that has become SU football and say “man, Anomander sure was right.” It’s possible.

I just don’t see the point in wallowing in misery about an unknown future, and wailing about everything that happens to SU as if the sky has fallen. It’s Nick Monroe, he’s a nice guy, good recruiter, and life will go on.

We’ll kick off on 9/2 and see how things go. Honestly I think we’ll be the same program 5 years from now as we are today.

yup. Literally, look no further than the role Monroe took. How did that open:

Monroe steps in for former cornerbacks coach and co-defensive coordinator Paul Haynes, who left to join Luke Fickell’s coaching staff at Wisconsin.

Haynes isn't even leaving the conference, much like the Anae situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom