I may stand alone, but... | Syracusefan.com

I may stand alone, but...

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I am probably in a minority of Cuse fans who does not despise UConn. Living in NJ, my hatred skews red. I am genuinely disappointed that hey are not joining us. Especially after Maryland left, I really was hoping for another regional rival with easy travel. I also felt that SU + UConn could potentially offset RU in the NY market, and that with BC, it could ensure the majority of the northeast would remain ACC country.

That said, I am happy for Ville fans. They have been left at the altar many times before, and are a very good top to bottom athletic program.

I hope that the southern football heavies are offering a renewed commitment to this conference in exchange for this vote.

I agree with you about UConn. Heck, on alternate Wednesdays I even even wish we'd gotten Rutgers when we had the chance. But I'm an old-fashioned East Coast guy and my preferences have to do with geography, rivalries and academics, which are decidedly out of fashion. We're in survival mode now. If your football team gas been good the past 2/3 years you are our boy.

I am probably in a minority of Cuse fans who does not despise UConn. Living in NJ, my hatred skews red. I am genuinely disappointed that hey are not joining us. Especially after Maryland left, I really was hoping for another regional rival with easy travel. I also felt that SU + UConn could potentially offset RU in the NY market, and that with BC, it could ensure the majority of the northeast would remain ACC country.

That said, I am happy for Ville fans. They have been left at the altar many times before, and are a very good top to bottom athletic program.

I hope that the southern football heavies are offering a renewed commitment to this conference in exchange for this vote.
I am disappointed too. Yes, it might be better for the Syracuse program for UConn football to drop into the depths of hell. I get that.

But we need schools somewhat close to us in our league. Rivalries are about schools traveling to each other's venues, talking trash to each other, trying to outshout each other. They are about recruiting wars in shared territories. They are about seeing fans on the other team on a regular basis in the supermarket, on the highway, etc.

With Maryland gone, we only have 2 schools within reasonable driving distance. It would be great to have another. Especially given how many alums Syracuse has that are within 3 or 4 hours drive of East Hartford.

The ACC needs UConn, along with ND, Pitt, BC and Syracuse, to have a strong presence in the Northeast. They are a fine academic school, they have been a major commitment to their athletic programs in all sports (of the football schools in the old BE, I think SU and UConn have by far the 2 best overall set of sports programs in the conference).

I am not afraid if they are given an even footing with us, that we will not be able to compete with them. Given an even footing, I am confident Syracuse can compete successfully with any school in the country.

I dislike UConn's athletic teams a lot. But it is a good kind of hatred, a hatred born of respect, and long term shared experiences, some horrible losses and some great victories.

The football and basketball rivalries are just now finally getting interesting. It would be a shame to throw it all out the window and try to build rivalries with other schools from scratch.

I said the other day that I preferred UConn.

But I understand why they'll take Louisville.

Count me in as well. We should be taking UConn. They fit the profile of the other schools. I am having a hard time understanding where all this talk about LVille being an athletic juggernaut is coming from. UConn has 3 basketball championships in 15 years. UConn went to a BCS bowl 2 years ago. There olympic sports are just as good. UConn facilities are good.

What exactly has LVille done that they are the saviors of the ACC?

Wouldn't it be nice if the ACC got WV and Kansas went to the Big 10 along with UConn? I'd give Swoffy kudos if he went that direction and the Big 12 could just add Cincy, USF or SD ST.

Count me in as well. We should be taking UConn. They fit the profile of the other schools. I am having a hard time understanding where all this talk about LVille being an athletic juggernaut is coming from. UConn has 3 basketball championships in 15 years. UConn went to a BCS bowl 2 years ago. There olympic sports are just as good. UConn facilities are good.

What exactly has LVille done that they are the saviors of the ACC?

No one is claiming Louisville as a savior, come on.

A year ago the league added SU and Pitt, 2 northern schools primarily known for recent hoops success. This is still a league with a big southern lean. We talk about geography, but to most of the schools voting Kentucky is a lot more relevant than Connecticut.

I prefer UConn but let's not get crazy. There are positives and negatives to each.

The ACC is in survival mode. Stability is a question mark. At this point, the powers that be certainly aren't prioritizing what would be best for Syracuse University. They are looking to keep this a major football conference. And if that means they take the best football school with the best athletics program (which Lville clearly is) to keep FSU, Clemson happy, then so be it.

This move shows me the ACC has atleast a chance to stabilize after the loss of Maryland. Very, very good news this AM. If the team was Uconn, that would have signaled to me that the ACC as we know it was over. I think there's a chance that it still may be. The B1G ain't messing around. If they get their hands on UVA or UNC, then the ACC knows Uconn will be there for the picking. So eventually, we may be seeing Uconn again, but it may be at the expense of UNC and UVA. I, for one, hope that's not the case.

and of course, LVille is one more option off the table for the Big 12. UConn will only be taken at the end of the game. Just like middle school dodgeball.

No one is claiming Louisville as a savior, come on.

A year ago the league added SU and Pitt, 2 northern schools primarily known for recent hoops success. This is still a league with a big southern lean. We talk about geography, but to most of the schools voting Kentucky is a lot more relevant than Connecticut.

I prefer UConn but let's not get crazy. There are positives and negatives to each.

Blogs, internet, twitter etc are implying that LVille will save the conference and appease Fl State and Clemson. Do you guys really think that either of those schools are basing their decision on leaving the conf based on the addition of LVille? LVille was GREAT under Petrino, Putrid under Krags, and so far, good under Strong. But there is a strong chance that Charlie leaves LVille before their bowl game (see what I did there). They make the wrong hire, and they are putrid again. Lville, UConn, to me is a wash at best. Each has their negative and positive, you are right, but Uconn fits the geography and academics. Just my opinion.

Blogs, internet, twitter etc are implying that LVille will save the conference and appease Fl State and Clemson. Do you guys really think that either of those schools are basing their decision on leaving the conf based on the addition of LVille? LVille was GREAT under Petrino, Putrid under Krags, and so far, good under Strong. But there is a strong chance that Charlie leaves LVille before their bowl game (see what I did there). They make the wrong hire, and they are putrid again. Lville, UConn, to me is a wash at best. Each has their negative and positive, you are right, but Uconn fits the geography and academics. Just my opinion.

Miles apart on fan support and potential. Miles apart. Fair or not, Louisville has the look of a football school. Uconn? Not so much. This will appease the football schools. It's actually a pretty nice sized improvement over Maryland.

This is exactly the outcome I was hoping for. The fact that college presidents took Louisville and its bad academics over Uconn is all you need to know about the football perception of the respective schools around the conference.

Thet were pretty good under John L Smith before Petrino too.They made one bad hire in their last four.

Do you think FSU or Clemson care about academics at this point? Now that Ville is in a big boy conference, maybe Strong stays and either way L'Ville actually has a serious athletic dept and fan support. L'Ville is clearly the choice here. UCONN would have been a big mistake. They way I look at it, the minute UCONN enters the ACC (it it happens) we are in trouble, unless it means conferences have expanded past 16 teams.

So if the B12 calls up the LVille AD tomorrow and says, hey, you're invited. Are you coming, yes or no? Do you think LVille jumps to the B12? I think they would.

I said the other day that I preferred UConn.

But I understand why they'll take Louisville.

I'm with you...I just think the ACC should take both today...I do not want the possibility of the B1G getting my cable boxes in the NYC area.

So if the B12 calls up the LVille AD tomorrow and says, hey, you're invited. Are you coming, yes or no? Do you think LVille jumps to the B12? I think they would.
After accepting an invite from the ACC? I'm not following . . .

I'm with you...I just think the ACC should take both today...I do not want the possibility of the B1G getting my cable boxes in the NYC area.
Looks like it was going to be an either or. And not knowing what the back room deal with ND is we may never see UConn joining us.

After accepting an invite from the ACC? I'm not following . . .

My point is that a lot of folks both here and elsewhere on the net have the mentality that if the ACC took LVille and even UConn (simultaneously) that would solidify the ACC and keep the B1G out of NYC and B12 from poaching the ACC. My point is, would Uconn stick around if the B1G called them tomorrow? Would LVille stick around if B12 called them tomorrow. The answer is no.

Until the money situation is straightened out, the ACC is vulnerable and teams will leave if given the opportunity.

My point is that a lot of folks both here and elsewhere on the net have the mentality that if the ACC took LVille and even UConn (simultaneously) that would solidify the ACC and keep the B1G out of NYC and B12 from poaching the ACC. My point is, would Uconn stick around if the B1G called them tomorrow? Would LVille stick around if B12 called them tomorrow. The answer is no.

Until the money situation is straightened out, the ACC is vulnerable and teams will leave if given the opportunity.
You may be right. I'm not so sure the money differential between the ACC and Big 12 is all that much, but every $ counts so who knows?

The money is going to get straightened out. The ACC and B12 are not that far off from each other. The ACC is not the BE. 'Ville, UConn, Cinci all know the BE is a sinking ship. I think the ACC is much more solid ground.

$50 million reasons say they won't

isnt it a little early to hit the crack pipe??

no way in hell lville does a 180 and goes to the bevo, none.
:crazy:

if the bevo wanted lville, they already wouldve taken them. they wont be offering.

bevo will now take byu and cincy.
Oh Lord

The outcome would have been different had Pitt and SU had a vote.