I owe Hubert Davis a big apology | Syracusefan.com

I owe Hubert Davis a big apology

I really thought he was not ready to be a big time coach. He really rallied his guys and now will be coaching these guys in the NC game. Outcoached K in two huge games. Wow.
You know what I couldn't agree more I felt the same way at the beginning of the year I was like you know I didn't have the greatest feeling about him coming in I thought they could have done better and at the beginning of the season I thought I was right, but as the season progressed and obviously where they're at now I mean imagine that first-year head coach with his alma mater wins a national title!

The ACC needs North Carolina and Duke to be who they are now we're going to find out about duke's new coach next year.
Can obviously recruit though!

Of course I'm excited about Syracuse basketball again next season because it's going to be more like a Syracuse basketball team very athletic. I am very happy to see Benny Williams coming back, said Steve Franco but Benny would have been a bigger loss so we can sustain Frank's laws much better in my opinion and to summarize I love the new recruit JUDAH MIDTZ

I need to see 5 years out of him (how does he recruit, but this should only help). But I’m ready to eat crow. He has impressed the bell out of me. I thought he was a reach and the next brad Daugherty. He has been awesome in the tournament. The kids are playing extremely hard. I also owe an appology to Baecott. He has been amazing.

Let's go UNC & ACC!
I wanted to see Dukes coach Mike go out on top his last year but I guess it wasn't meant to be but he's the goat on the college coaching world God bless him, and enjoy your retirement buddy

I really thought he was not ready to be a big time coach. He really rallied his guys and now will be coaching these guys in the NC game. Outcoached K in two huge games. Wow.
Same, coach of the year. How could they not see that?

Obviously credit to Davis for winning the game but I’m not sure he should have been calling all those timeouts at the end of the game while NC was ahead when Duke was out of timeouts.

It worked out in the end but it gave Duke many opportunities to talk about what they wanted to do.

I need to see 5 years out of him (how does he recruit, but this should only help). But I’m ready to eat crow. He has impressed the bell out of me. I thought he was a reach and the next brad Daugherty. He has been awesome in the tournament. The kids are playing extremely hard. I also owe an appology to Baecott. He has been amazing.
I know you mean Matt Doherty, but yes, he could be a one hit wonder and five years will be more telling, but how could Hollywood even script these results.

Obviously credit to Davis for winning the game but I’m not sure he should have been calling all those timeouts at the end of the game while NC was ahead when Duke was out of timeouts.

It worked out in the end but it gave Duke many opportunities to talk about what they wanted to do.
I thought they were smart. His kids were gassed and that's when mental errors occur. The TO in between Love's free throw was - I think - to remind his guys to foul if the lead is 3.
I have said for a while. 10 years from now UNC will be in much better shape than Duke.

I was torn on the timeouts, but imagine if he didn't call them and his guys had a meltdown. Wasn't Roy Williams known for not taking timeouts. It was a huge stage and he did a good job keeping them in the moment.

What also impressed me was how overtly involved his assistant coaches are. Hubert was huddling up with them constantly even while the game was going on. He obviously values their input.

I’m not saying other head coaches don’t utilize their assistant coaches, it just seems like Hubert does it much more frequently.

I guess assistant coaches with no coaching experience can win!
It helps when you're an assistant to Roy Williams, who was successful at Kansas and UNC.
It helps when you had a 6 year(i think) pro career. You see a lot of things/games as an analyst as well.
When you see the game from different perspectives, the experience gained can be priceless.
UNC has had a couple of clunkers as head coach since Dean Smith left.

I guess the million dollar question is why was there a bell in you in the first place ?

I have said for a while. 10 years from now UNC will be in much better shape than Duke.
Hmm, an interesting speculation. Curious why you think that. Duke is a storied blueblood program and will not lack for top tier recruits. Do you think Davis will ultimately be a better coach than Scheyer? Other factors?

Hmm, an interesting speculation. Curious why you think that. Duke is a storied blueblood program and will not lack for top tier recruits. Do you think Davis will ultimately be a better coach than Scheyer? Other factors?
I think Carolina is a blue blood program. I think K was Dukes blood. Bubas, Waters, and Foster are not McGuire, Smith, Williams. UNC in my opinion is much bluer than DUke.

It helps when you're an assistant to Roy Williams, who was successful at Kansas and UNC.
It helps when you had a 6 year(i think) pro career. You see a lot of things/games as an analyst as well.
When you see the game from different perspectives, the experience gained can be priceless.
UNC has had a couple of clunkers as head coach since Dean Smith left.
Close...he played 11 years in the NBA

People don’t know what others are capable of until given the opportunity. Hubert knows the game. He connects with his players and never loses his temper. He actually is the perfect mold of a coach from all his experiences

I think Carolina is a blue blood program. I think K was Dukes blood. Bubas, Waters, and Foster are not McGuire, Smith, Williams. UNC in my opinion is much bluer than DUke.
I've been saying for quite a while that Duke is going to fall off from where they are now. I don't think the academic leadership at Duke is going to give Scheyer the leeway they gave K at the end because K really embarrassed them by having so many One-and-Dones. They're still going to be a very good team (their players who aren't OAD are still very good players), but they're not going to be the monster that they are now.

Think about that for a second.

And twice the spoiler in Coach K's final season, ruining his final game at Cameron and ending his career by blocking Duke's path to the championship game.
ive thought for a long time that if you gave coach K equal talent to all the other coaches he faces he wouldnt do very well...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom