I ride with Dino... | Syracusefan.com

I ride with Dino...

elimunelson

Solvay Fanatic
But my concern for Wildhack is this becoming a major issue next year if we start the season 1-4 or something. I wonder if he’s savvy enough to start collecting data on guys who would be on a short list if they have to pull the plug mid season. It’s imperative we start strong or else we have to cut bait pronto so the school isn’t caught offsides aka 2005 when we hired a guy well into a recruiting cycle.

But my concern for Wildhack is this becoming a major issue next year if we start the season 1-4 or something. I wonder if he’s savvy enough to start collecting data on guys who would be on a short list if they have to pull the plug mid season. It’s imperative we start strong or else we have to cut bait pronto so the school isn’t caught offsides aka 2005 when we hired a guy well into a recruiting cycle.
I would hope at this point he is already collecting data on guys and has a short list started. We are looking at a 2-2 start to the season unless we get much better on offense.

Any AD better have a short list at any time or they are not doing their job. Whether by tragedy or controversy, your coach could be gone in a second, and you better not be caught with your pants down.

JW I am positive maintains a list, for both hoops and football for that matter. I think whether JW is able to jettison Dino for performance issues continuing next year depends on a number of factors which will include buyout once again. If Dino has a $10 million dollar buyout in 22 and he needs to spend $5 to $6 million on a new HC and staff then there could be issues. Not sure if he gets to make that call given the lack of donors that typically come up with that money at SEC schools and such. I do think that he is mindful of the brand and what that entails as well. This is a bit of uncharted waters for Syracuse and it will be interesting to see their approach.

This just is not going to happen. First, Wildhack said it wouldn’t and second, even if he wanted to, he doesn’t have the buy out money...

JW didn’t exactly say he wouldn’t. He said he hoped that he won’t have too.

I mean Babers is good for 21... but JW didn’t mention anything behind that and also followed up with “this is a results driven position.”

JW I am positive maintains a list, for both hoops and football for that matter. I think whether JW is able to jettison Dino for performance issues continuing next year depends on a number of factors which will include buyout once again. If Dino has a $10 million dollar buyout in 22 and he needs to spend $5 to $6 million on a new HC and staff then there could be issues. Not sure if he gets to make that call given the lack of donors that typically come up with that money at SEC schools and such. I do think that he is mindful of the brand and what that entails as well. This is a bit of uncharted waters for Syracuse and it will be interesting to see their approach.
Uncharted waters? This program replaces its coach every 3-5 years. It’s what we do.

I get what you are saying about the buyout issues and every single poster on this board wanted him extended two years ago. Me included.

JW didn’t exactly say he wouldn’t. He said he hoped that he won’t have too.

I mean Babers is good for 21... but JW didn’t mention anything behind that and also followed up with “this is a results driven position.”

Concur...But at the end of the day, this will be a money driven decision. The extension given Dino a ton of leverage.

This program needs stability. Between injuries and no practice and new staff and a pandemic we don’t have that. I could see a new oline coach, or a couple new coaches that can recruit for gods sake, but getting rid of Dino helps nothing.

Love Dino the guy. Really don’t believe in Dino the coach. How can you ? His acc wins are 2,2,6,2,1. It’s amazing how such a great year is going to be the downfall of the program for years to come (from the extension)

Uncharted waters? This program replaces its coach every 3-5 years. It’s what we do.

I get what you are saying about the buyout issues and every single poster on this board wanted him extended two years ago. Me included.
Again, not every single poster on this board wanted him extended. There were several of us that were concerned after the ND game and how much ED meant. Was ED the overall reason for the 10 win season? Was TD a viable replacement for ED? Those were the questions some of us were concerned about with the extension.

Uncharted waters means we have not dealt with this large of a buyout before...ever. We will find out whether Syracuse has the means and fortitude to pull the trigger on a high end buyout for a private entity. If you operate on the premise that his $15m buyout in 21 drops to $10m in 22 and you add in $5m to $6m for new HC and staff that is not a small outlay. This is new territory for them.

Love Dino the guy. Really don’t believe in Dino the coach. How can you ? His acc wins are 2,2,6,2,1. It’s amazing how such a great year is going to be the downfall of the program for years to come (from the extension)
2018 == 2016 final four

He’s been the AD a while, he’s plenty “savvy”. Of all the things to worry about, this isn’t one of them, IMHO.

Honestly, what would make you think Wildhack would not have a list or be able to make a good hire? I’m not quite sure. He’s been doing his job
If JW rides with Dino for 2 more years and they are both sub .500, he should be gone as well.