i think I have our recruiting down pat | Syracusefan.com

i think I have our recruiting down pat

dasher

Living Legend
If we don't land a top 50 kid, the coaches can't close. We can't get good kids anymore.
If we do land a top 50 kid, doesn't really matter, they will not ever make to to Syracuse.
If we get a kid that falls somewhere between 80 and 120, of course we got him. Look who we are recruiting for him against. Plus
he sucks.
That about cover it?

1617765075289.png

If we don't land a top 50 kid, the coaches can't close. We can't get good kids anymore.
If we do land a top 50 kid, doesn't really matter, they will not ever make to to Syracuse.
If we get a kid that falls somewhere between 80 and 120, of course we got him. Look who we are recruiting for him against. Plus
he sucks.
That about cover it?
79CB5922-5843-4DAF-9AED-3BC1A2B446D5.gif

Not to get ahead of ourselves but I have to give this staff credit where it’s due. I’ve been critical of them, sometimes rightfully so, sometimes probably a bit much and it’s just emotion and wanting to be where we use to be. But this last week with the departures the staff is setting this team up PERFECT for the 2022 season. I’m still a little skeptical for next year, I could be surprised, I wasn’t as big on Cole Swider as many people were but the more film I watched he could be a great pick and pop guy here. He’s not as athletic as lydon but he can definitely be used similarly. Now we know a lot can obviously happen between now and 2022 but how about this for a team/lineup/rotation that honestly seems very realistic.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SG-Buddy (if he stays a 5th year)
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider
C-Jesse Edwards (he could potentially be a 2nd year starter by this point)

Bench
Symir Torrence
Justin Taylor (think we land him)
Kamari Lands
Quadir Copeland (think we land him)
Donovan or Marquis Brown (think we get 1 of the 2)

Possibly Ty Rogers and Frank (if he stays)

I also think we land another transfer or 2 this off season so it’ll depend on if they stick around for the 2022 season as well. LOTS of moving parts but our staff is actually doing a great job of putting us in position to be ELITE once you really write the potential of the roster down like this. Like I was saying, TONS can happen between now and 2022 but this is pretty realistic.

That team would also be the perfect balance of experience and youth. As well as shooting and athleticism, we would be able to beat teams multiple ways. Damn I hope this happens

Not to get ahead of ourselves but I have to give this staff credit where it’s due. I’ve been critical of them, sometimes rightfully so, sometimes probably a bit much and it’s just emotion and wanting to be where we use to be. But this last week with the departures the staff is setting this team up PERFECT for the 2022 season. I’m still a little skeptical for next year, I could be surprised, I wasn’t as big on Cole Swider as many people were but the more film I watched he could be a great pick and pop guy here. He’s not as athletic as lydon but he can definitely be used similarly. Now we know a lot can obviously happen between now and 2022 but how about this for a team/lineup/rotation that honestly seems very realistic.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider

Bench
Symir Torrence
Kamari Lands

I also think we land another transfer or 2 this off season so it’ll depend on if they stick around for the 2022 season as well. LOTS of moving parts but our staff is actually doing a great job of putting us in position to be ELITE once you really write the potential of the roster down like this. Like I was saying, TONS can happen between now and 2022 but this is pretty realistic.

That team would also be the perfect balance of experience and youth. As well as shooting and athleticism, we would be able to beat teams multiple ways. Damn I hope this happens
This is my hope. That starting 5 would be in their 2nd year starting together. 2 5th years in Buddy & Cole & a 4th year Girard all flanking a potential lottery pick Benny. Lots of continuity & the youngsters in place to get their feet wet & take over under the next HC. I think it’s the perfect transition plan & realistic as hell.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider

Bench
Symir Torrence
Kamari Lands

Love the effort here, I'll drink to that plan. That said, I'm not sure there's much use looking beyond '21-'22. Honestly, God only knows what changes? We certainly have the makings of a really interesting squad in '22 but, for me at least, I think looking beyond that is fun but an exercise in futility. It's just so hard to have any clue what's going to happen.

he sucks.
That about cover it?
I like this but you missed -- sign kid who isn't in top 100, no one too excited, kid shows promise, transfers, immediately becomes incredible and irreplaceable.

Love the effort here, I'll drink to that plan. That said, I'm not sure there's much use looking beyond '21-'22. Honestly, God only knows what changes? We certainly have the makings of a really interesting squad in '22 but, for me at least, I think looking beyond that is fun but an exercise in futility. It's just so hard to have any clue what's going to happen.
Oh yeah, agreed. I said a lot could change multiple times but always fun to speculate! And yeah a lot could change but looking at those names and roster this roster is a realistic possibility. Now with everything going on with college basketball, sure a couple names might not be on that roster but this also could be the roster. It’s just fun to speculate this as a real possibility and the fact that roster actually looks like the old Syracuse we are all used too gets me excited

it’s like this year didn’t happen to some of you clinging to high school ranking.

its very bizarre. There’s stats like actual numbers showing how important that kid not in the top 100 was for our team. Facts.

high school rankings are opinions...from a couple years ago.

is he irreplaceable? Nope, but we haven’t replaced him, until we do...it will be a problem for the 2021 team

Last edited:
it’s like this year didn’t happen to some of you clinging to high school ranking.

its very bizarre. There’s stats like actual numbers showing how important that kid not in the top 100 was for our team. Facts.

high school rankings are opinions...from a couple years ago.

is he irreplaceable? Nope, but we haren’t replaced him, until we do...it will be a problem for the 2021 team

Yet haters love to trot out Buddy and JG’s HS ratings.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider

Bench
Symir Torrence
Kamari Lands

East Regionals are at MSG in 2023, just saying’...

he sucks.
That about cover it?

You left out JB is too old/lazy and don't blame poor recruiting on fewer scholarships/ coaches visits due to sanctions.

Other than that you did very well.

2022 team
PG-Girard
SF-Benny Williams
PF-Cole Swider

Bench
Symir Torrence
Kamari Lands

Not to nitpick here cuz I love your stuff but I’d be shocked if Buddy plays 5. I mean maybe if he’s got a shot at SU all time scoring leader but guys just don’t play that long and he wants to play in the league. Also don’t think there’s any chance Benny is here two. If he is I’d say things went a little off track. That said I think Kamari could easily slide to the 2 in that scenario.

still scratching my head on Kamari news and what this might signal about JB plans and potential successor if anything.

My two cents: When you read recruiting articles, sometimes the player mentions the schools and when Cuse comes up, JB had not been mentioned as someone who calls. Those recruits went elsewhere.

The trend I'm seeing now for '22 is that those recruits are getting a lot more time with JB, which signals to me he knows he's got to pick it up if he wants one more run.

Not to get ahead of ourselves but I have to give this staff credit where it’s due. I’ve been critical of them,

Bench

Kamari Lands

This would be amazing, but given our recent history of freshman not being happy with PT, do you think we could convince this many top frosh to come off the bench with (most likely) minimal playing time and wait their turn?

These subjects about Kadary and Joe are like Groundhog Day. Everyone has made their position known in seemingly every thread, every day. Everyone should give it an effin rest at this point! Holy chit!

It does seem like I have seen this episode a few times recently.

Should we revisit the Dior thread where everyone was crowing about how his commitment signaled SU's return to dominance and every person who ever said a critical word about JAB and recruiting as giant idiot?

I really don't understand the purpose of these threads. But if it brightens your day, have at it, doesn't change anything.

My two cents: When you read recruiting articles, sometimes the player mentions the schools and when Cuse comes up, JB had not been mentioned as someone who calls. Those recruits went elsewhere.

The trend I'm seeing now for '22 is that those recruits are getting a lot more time with JB, which signals to me he knows he's got to pick it up if he wants one more run.
I did the math in a different thread at some point. He's absolutely got a shot at the scoring record in year 5. Obviously it would be a little sketchy as he would have an extra 20 games or so in there but he's right on pace to match and pass Moten at the very end if he's around 18ppg next 2 years.

Should we revisit the Dior thread where everyone was crowing about how his commitment signaled SU's return to dominance and every person who ever said a critical word about JAB and recruiting as giant idiot?

I really don't understand the purpose of these threads. But if it brightens your day, have at it, doesn't change anything.
I'm in agreement, what a tiresome thread.

he sucks.
That about cover it?

The important thing every time is to have the strongest hottest takes that generates the most quotes and reactions. Nuance is for losers. Brevity is preferred. Long posts with numbers are for nerds.

I like this but you missed -- sign kid who isn't in top 100, no one too excited, kid shows promise, transfers, immediately becomes incredible and irreplaceable.

Some of this is revisionist history. His composite RSCI ranking was 89, so he WAS in the top 100, and if you go on the recruiting board and pull up his thread, there were A TON of SU fans going crazy over him before he played a minute for SU, and early reports from practice hyped him up plenty. The post-transfer reactions have been over-the-top with hyperbole in a lot of cases like you point out, but much of your post is factually wrong.

Some of this is revisionist history. His composite RSCI ranking was 89, so he WAS in the top 100, and if you go on the recruiting board and pull up his thread, there were A TON of SU fans going crazy over him before he played a minute for SU, and early reports from practice hyped him up plenty. The post-transfer reactions have been over-the-top with hyperbole in a lot of cases like you point out, but much of your post is factually wrong.
I was mostly just funnin’ but I wasn’t talking about kadary. He definitely hurts, badly.

I also really like bras and woody but very few were fired up when they came and a lot of folks here wrote bras off preseason. But now everyone seems despondent when they are leaving.

the Goodine reaction — and I get it, it’s surprising to lose three guards — but the reaction to him leaving when he had a long way to go to develop was insane.

we sign kids outside the top 100 and panic, then they leave and we panic again. I don’t know, it is what it is at some level. Maybe having kids has just made me less of a fanatic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom