I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back | Syracusefan.com

I think its all out in the Colgate game no holding back

Don

2nd String
I've seen people post on here in other threads that they may hold plays back in the first game against Colgate to save them for Louisville

1) Having seen and listened to this coach I dont think that's the way he coaches and i dont think he will hold back any plays in any games, now he may have a different game plan, but holding back on the playbook? i say no way no how
2) No one expects a 10-2 record this year , but even in the very first game the fence sitters are going to be watching, and if the coach wants people in the seats especially for that second game they better show the offensive playbook and show that they are going to be fast and fun , period.
3) I think the number one job of this coach this year is not overall winds and losses, its establishing an identity specifically at home where he wants to create a frenzied pace for both fan and team that brings people into the stands and gives the people something to talk about during the week and gets them excited to be in the dome. The very worst thing that could happen is a mediocre performance from the offense in the first game against a lower division team.

No I think when you put all of the above together i don't think you will see one game especially at home where this coach holds anything back from the playbook unless its 70-0 at halftime.

We shouldn't need to go all out to beat Colgate, if we do, we have issues.

We shouldn't need to go all out to beat Colgate, if we do, we have issues.

I don't think this system is built on trick plays; it's build on *no* plays, but simply a series of reads based on how you and the defense line up. Sure, it may build in complexity as the players get more familiar with it, but when there is no playbook, per se, how are you going to "hold back" any of your plays?

This gate squad is very respectable. We will play hard and show what we need to show to score on every possession. Remember, our offense is premised on taking what the defense gives so i dont see a series of advanced, special plays being held back. Also, the more you show, the more the ville will have to digest. Cant wait:)

I don't know why anyone would hold back in any game. You're playing to win.
Maybe you would want to save things for the next week when you play a team that can actually beat you.

IthacaMatt said:
I don't think this system is built on trick plays; it's build on *no* plays, but simply a series of reads based on how you and the defense line up. Sure, it may build in complexity as the players get more familiar with it, but when there is no playbook, per se, how are you going to "hold back" any of your plays?

It's this. There is no holding back - you make the correct read and the players execute.

Most teams do against Fcs teams.

so, is that the excuse for Michigan 2007, VTech 2010, Florida 2014 and the other myriad of FBS teams that have lost to FCS teams over the years?

so, is that the excuse for Michigan 2007, VTech 2010, Florida 2014 and the other myriad of FBS teams that have lost to FCS teams over the years?

It happens, sometimes teams overlook teams, its very rare, those are three examples, every fbs school plays at least one fcs team a year.

It will the first game in a new offense. They might not be holding stuff out. I expect a different offense by the end of the year. Not because of holding out stuff; but the coaching staff and players will be more confident of what each other can and will do.

Unfortunately, they just scheduled a big name concert at the Ampetheatre on the same night as the opening game of the season.

Unfortunately, they just scheduled a big name concert at the Ampetheatre on the same night as the opening game of the season.
It's nice to live in an area not controlled by the cfb calendar.

The only "holding back" that wouldn't even really be holding back will be getting extra guys on the field late in the game, if it's a blowout. This offense is pedal to the metal from kickoff to final whistle.

I agree we need to go all out. Use it as a practice game, get the rust off, and don't be bland thinking L'ville isn't going to have a clue what we will really do 7 days later

Maybe you would want to save things for the next week when you play a team that can actually beat you.
Colgate was a decent team last year. It would be a big mistake to take them lightly, especially when one is introducing new schemes on both sides of the ball. I believe people expecting a Wagner/Rhode Island style blowout will be disappointed.

Colgate was a decent team last year. It would be a big mistake to take them lightly, especially when one is introducing new schemes on both sides of the ball. I believe people expecting a Wagner/Rhode Island style blowout will be disappointed.

Agreed. I see this as more of 38-17 game than a 52-0 game.

I sure hope we do! Over the last few years we have had problems beating the snot out of IMO inferior teams.

isn't our defense like really bad this year? I smell a sloppy 35-14 game. Completely new scheme. Everyone who is assuming a well tuned machine is out of their mind. This thing isn't going to turn around in game one of a new era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom