I think it's safe to say that the defense is NOT the liability... | Syracusefan.com

I think it's safe to say that the defense is NOT the liability...

RF2044

Living Legend
...that many were wringing their hands about after the 3rd quarter against WMU.

All three units looked great today. LBs are rounding into form, our staring DL is comprised of four studs, and we have unprecedented depth in the secondary. Players are making tackles in space, and the youngsters seem to be learning from their early season mistakes. We have playmakers in all three positional units.

Those first two games were intentionally vanilla, because our coaches were confident that they could win against those two opponents playing that way. The hounds are now unleashed.

The benefit of quality depth is becoming readily apparent.

Western Michigan scored 35 more points against us than Florida State.

And context is important there, given how our offense sputtered when Dungey got pulled.

If he stays in the game, I think we probably score on that final drive of first half, maybe even on the opening drive of the second half, and things unfold differently. Maybe that WMU resurgence never gets started.

...that many were wringing their hands about after the 3rd quarter against WMU.

All three units looked great today. LBs are rounding into form, our staring DL is comprised of four studs, and we have unprecedented depth in the secondary. Players are making tackles in space, and the youngsters seem to be learning from their early season mistakes. We have playmakers in all three positional units.

Those first two games were intentionally vanilla, because our coaches were confident that they could win against those two opponents playing that way. The hounds are now unleashed.

The benefit of quality depth is becoming readily apparent.

Defense is easier to bring up to speed. That said, you are spot on. With ED's arm limited, we were still dominating FSU, except on the scoreboard. Had ED been throwing more often, the score would have been ridiculous.

And context is important there, given how our offense sputtered when Dungey got pulled.

If he stays in the game, I think we probably score on that final drive of first half, maybe even on the opening drive of the second half, and things unfold differently. Maybe that WMU resurgence never gets started.

I know. It was just interesting.

And I think the D is improving too...

We had a great pass rush today. 4 sacks and a bajillion hits on the QB.

Right we got a good pass rush and we were good today. We didn't have a pass rush against WMU and we were bad.

Great win. But FSU is a hot mess.

Which means that in dominating them, we did exactly what we needed to do.

Everyone would be feeling a lot more concerned if there'd been blown coverages, long plays we'd given up, etc. But there weren't.

We have the personnel, and we have the depth / athleticism to make this scheme work. And now the results will follow suit.

Which means that in dominating them, we did exactly what we needed to do.

Everyone would be feeling a lot more concerned if there'd been blown coverages, long plays we'd given up, etc. But there weren't.

We have the personnel, and we have the depth / athleticism to make this scheme work. And now the results will follow suit.

Exactly, hot mess or not, we have been clamoring to win games we are supposed to and win them big. We did both today against a team that practically everyone other than Vegas said we should beat. And with the exception of sloppy first-half offensive play, we looked pretty good doing it.

They played great today. But I’ll need to see more to agree with the OP straight up.

Encouraged for sure

As much of a mess as they look, I almost feel sorry for Lou_C .

Almost.

Lou C should take comfort in knowing Taggart does know his system and we had the same issue two seasons ago. He's a respectable poster and deserves recognition for it. Nevertheless, I agree, I will enjoy the win at Lou C's expense. Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and nuclear bombs.

Great win. But FSU is a hot mess.

Agree, today was Awesome but I still feel that we might not know what we have until we play Clemson. Taggert is seriously one of the worst hires in FBS hx. This team of athletes was confused, timid, disorganized, without leadership.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom