I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season.. | Syracusefan.com

I think we’re looking at a big 2023 season..

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Im excited for our bowl but while we wait for our selection it doesn’t hurt to look at positives moving forward.

We know we lose: Coley, Berg, Mikel Jones, GW, Cooper, Elmore

Its likely we lose: Sean Tucker and unknown names to portal attrition

However we get back Thompson, Lockett and Jacquez… among other big names that played most of the season far less than 100%.

We know Duce, Marlowe, Darton and Jahad were all playing hurt.

We get a rejuvenated Mob, thats bigger, older and healthy.

We get back multiple proven commodities at wideout between Oronde, Alford and Adams.

RB still looks solid with Allen. Does Price have another year? The incoming freshman looka great

The O line will continue to get better. At what speed that happens will likely determine our ceiling.

A lot of competition in the QB room. 4 guys who likely would see starting time at most p5 schools. Look to Shrader to continue to progress. Lamson is intriguing after his spring game performance. CDRW is an exciting raw talent. Sellers looks to be the real deal as well.

Whatre you guys thinking going into 2023?

I wish I had your optimism. We just watch our top players get decimated by injuries every year. Either fix the injury problem or get better players for depth. It's been a recurring problem for a decade or longer. It seems systematic within the program.

Im excited for our bowl but while we wait for our selection it doesn’t hurt to look at positives moving forward.

However we get back Thompson, Lockett and Jacquez… among other big names that played most of the season far less than 100%.

We get back multiple proven commodities at wideout between Oronde, Alford and Adams.

RB still looks solid with Allen. Does Price have another year? The incoming freshman looka great

The O line will continue to get better. At what speed that happens will likely determine our ceiling.

A lot of competition in the QB room. 4 guys who likely would see starting time at most p5 schools. Look to Shrader to continue to progress. Lamson is intriguing after his spring game performance. CDRW is an exciting raw talent. Sellers looks to be the real deal as well.

I’m waiting to see if we lose any coaches, whether Shrader comes back, and if we can net gain from roster movement in the portal. I think we have enough to go bowling but don’t see a big year without a few things breaking our way.

All depends on the QB IMO.

Defense will probably be what it has been - solid overall, fast, creates turnovers, dominate in a few games, good enough to win in most, and pushed around and a liability in a couple.

OL always sucks. I give up.

WR should be better, and RB should be adequate.

We need our QB to be Superman at getting out of Sacks, getting more yards on the ground than it seems he should to pick up first downs and get in the end zone, and a decent enough passer in order for the season to be good.

I wish I had your optimism. We just watch our top players get decimated by injuries every year. Either fix the injury problem or get better players for depth. It's been a recurring problem for a decade or longer. It seems systematic within the program.
Gotta pound the portal and, though this sounds harsh, make room for scholarships to be used on better players/depth. I think we have the coaching cred built up between Anae and White to do that effectively

Hard to evaluate in a vacuum- too many unknowns with portal, our progress, our opponents progress etc…

BUT- putting that aside for a moment, if we can improve/ avoid the injury bug and expect a natural progression on the offensive side of the ball- combined with normal opponent attrition in our opponents at key positions (QB- Hartmann, O’Connell, etc)…hard not to look at the schedule and see eight wins if we hold serve against those we should, with another 1-2 swing games. So yes, despite frustration with the coaching staff (especially during the first three quarters last night)- I am pretty optimistic that the team can build on this next year.

All depends on the QB IMO.

Defense will probably be what it has been - solid overall, fast, creates turnovers, dominate in a few games, good enough to win in most, and pushed around and a liability in a couple.

OL always sucks. I give up.

WR should be better, and RB should be adequate.

We need our QB to be Superman at getting out of Sacks, getting more yards on the ground than it seems he should to pick up first downs and get in the end zone, and a decent enough passer in order for the season to be good.
Im operating under the blind assumption Shrader’s back

It took me a holiday and another mob podcast to dispatch the rain cloud the Bryant and Wake games left above my head. But im back. The football program is not in bad shape imo. Dino has his flaws (big flaws) but we have talent and experience.

Most important, we have the extra practices now ;)

What does the schedule look like? This stuff doesnt happen in a vacuum.

I think we are a favorite on paper, as of now, in 5 games (Colgate, WMU, BC, Army, and Wake) and a clear underdog in 4 (@ Purdue, Clemson, @FSU, @UNC). How we do the other three (@ GTech, @ Va Techh, PITT) will be the difference between a bad season, ok season, and good season.

Last edited:

@ Purdue - who are minus O’Connell & Jones. And Durham.

Home vs Army, W Michigan, Colgate.

That should be no worse than 3-1.
Outside chance (W @ Purdue) at 4-0.

It’s the new no divisions ACC schedule, so kinda hard to say how tough it is or isn’t.
Still have Clemson & @FSU to face.
Plus @UNC.

I think we are a favorite on paper, as of now, in 5 games (Colgate, WMU, BC, Army, and Wake) and a clear underdog in 4 (@ Purdue, Clemson, @FSU, @UNC). How we do the other three (@ GTech, @ Va Techh, PITT) will be the difference between a bad season, ok season, and good season.
I would put Purdue in the last category

The only two things I would disagree with are OL and WR.

Especially the OL, I've heard every year since DB has gotten here (and prior to that in fairness) that we're recruiting better future players that will get better over time. The OL play at best has been a yo-yo that never quite comes back up. Every year they're going to be better, at least serviceable, etc. If not for a mobile QB they would have killed at least 3 QB's this year. So I have almost no faith that unit is improved without, as DB would say, some proof.

The same is partially true for the WR position. Both of these positions I've been criticizing for years and take some crap for, yet when the season ends, the concerns I express are pretty accurate. So the same things we say for the OL we've been saying for the WR. We know we have Gadsden in the very least (assuming he's here next year). Alford is a once every 3 games player and other than BC he usually only has 1 good catch. I think he can be a huge player for us, he has the body size, pretty good speed and nice quickness, can run good routes. The kid has it all IMO and I actually think he's got an NFL body and ability. But he can't be relied on next year unless he takes a massive step forward. We've seen what happens against quality opponents when Gadsden is keyed in on. There's nobody left to throw to, just getting a first down is sometimes a miracle. If we got a quality portal WR and allowed the other WR's to not have to step up as much I think that would help a lot. If Alford turned into the beast I think he could be then we would be a force with Gadsden and even just an Alec Lemon type player. If Cooper had an 8th year of eligibility he could be that guy.... I think Pena could be that guy. Nice middle of the field player, swing passes out wide, and the occasional pitch play. Thought we would see more of that with him in the offense and thought it would take some pressure off the OL, GS and Tucker. If I remember right in an early game or games, he was starting to be featured a little and it had an impact. Then he disappeared. Don't know if that's on him, the staff, the play calling or what.

* You're all lucky 99% of the time I post on my phone and can only make jokes instead of writing stuff like this on the computer where it's easier with my fat fingers.

Need to get bigger on the D line...we've got 217 lb guys playing Defensive end ...great for sacks but horrible against run...Clemsons guys are 270 and fast ...will be tough with competitve Portal ...but at least get one decent big guy and put weight on current D lineman...also need some size at linebacker to stop run ...Thompson if healthy was our heaviest LB...we got knocked over second half of season with run game. (and check the dome carpet...too many ACL tears)

If we win out bowl game and I do reasonably well retaining our players, I think we will be a fringe top 25 team next season.

The defense has a chance to be outstanding. The offense should at least be good, especially if we can add an experienced and solid OL or two, and hopefully a WR and a TE.

Plus the schedule looks very manageable.

Gotta retain our coaching staff too.

Especially the OL, I've heard every year since DB has gotten here (and prior to that in fairness) that we're recruiting better future players that will get better over time. The OL play at best has been a yo-yo that never quite comes back up. Every year they're going to be better, at least serviceable, etc. If not for a mobile QB they would have killed at least 3 QB's this year. So I have almost no faith that unit is improved without, as DB would say, some proof.

The same is partially true for the WR position. Both of these positions I've been criticizing for years and take some crap for, yet when the season ends, the concerns I express are pretty accurate. So the same things we say for the OL we've been saying for the WR. We know we have Gadsden in the very least (assuming he's here next year). Alford is a once every 3 games player and other than BC he usually only has 1 good catch. I think he can be a huge player for us, he has the body size, pretty good speed and nice quickness, can run good routes. The kid has it all IMO and I actually think he's got an NFL body and ability. But he can't be relied on next year unless he takes a massive step forward. We've seen what happens against quality opponents when Gadsden is keyed in on. There's nobody left to throw to, just getting a first down is sometimes a miracle. If we got a quality portal WR and allowed the other WR's to not have to step up as much I think that would help a lot. If Alford turned into the beast I think he could be then we would be a force with Gadsden and even just an Alec Lemon type player. If Cooper had an 8th year of eligibility he could be that guy... I think Pena could be that guy. Nice middle of the field player, swing passes out wide, and the occasional pitch play. Thought we would see more of that with him in the offense and thought it would take some pressure off the OL, GS and Tucker. If I remember right in an early game or games, he was starting to be featured a little and it had an impact. Then he disappeared. Don't know if that's on him, the staff, the play calling or what.

* You're all lucky 99% of the time I post on my phone and can only make jokes instead of writing stuff like this on the computer where it's easier with my fat fingers.
If we can get a legit C from the portal I’d be happier. I also wonder how many of our OL have hit their ceiling. Could be the new scheme, too. But I’d like to see a couple game-ready bodies come in.

WR I wouldn’t mind if they turned over the entire room other than Gadsden.

In regards to players/coaches, the keys are retaining Tony White, Shrader (which I'd be surprised if we don't), and Wax. Our DL should be better and we should be returning most of our secondary. I feel our returning backs and receivers will be fine, but based on history, have no faith in our OL (though it's nice some guys got some experience at the end of season), which affects everything else. I think people are sleeping on Alford's development. He's had over 200 yards over the last 4 games with some big catches in there. That's not bad for a #2 and that's not even accounting for I. Jones. We gotta also figure out why we're always among the worst in penalties. No one is talking about Special teams, but Denaburg will be key. Looks like he has a stronger leg than Szmyt-The question is how accurate he is. Looking at our schedule, I think we can win 8 games. 3 very tough games (At FSU, Clemson, and at UNC) and everyone other game is very winnable (though we need to find a way to not get physically dominated by Pitt again).

Last edited:

The same is partially true for the WR position. Both of these positions I've been criticizing for years and take some crap for, yet when the season ends, the concerns I express are pretty accurate. So the same things we say for the OL we've been saying for the WR. We know we have Gadsden in the very least (assuming he's here next year). Alford is a once every 3 games player and other than BC he usually only has 1 good catch. I think he can be a huge player for us, he has the body size, pretty good speed and nice quickness, can run good routes. The kid has it all IMO and I actually think he's got an NFL body and ability. But he can't be relied on next year unless he takes a massive step forward. We've seen what happens against quality opponents when Gadsden is keyed in on. There's nobody left to throw to, just getting a first down is sometimes a miracle. If we got a quality portal WR and allowed the other WR's to not have to step up as much I think that would help a lot. If Alford turned into the beast I think he could be then we would be a force with Gadsden and even just an Alec Lemon type player. If Cooper had an 8th year of eligibility he could be that guy... I think Pena could be that guy. Nice middle of the field player, swing passes out wide, and the occasional pitch play. Thought we would see more of that with him in the offense and thought it would take some pressure off the OL, GS and Tucker. If I remember right in an early game or games, he was starting to be featured a little and it had an impact. Then he disappeared. Don't know if that's on him, the staff, the play calling or what.

I'm in agreement here. The OLine - I'll need to see it to believe it.

The WR corps I am cautiously optimistic on, mostly due to the returns of Jones. Gadsden can continue to be our Michael Irvin - working between the hashes...But we need a consistent Alvin Harper type - working the deep routes down the sidelines.

Will that be:
  1. Alford (frustrating with his flashes of talent bookended by regressions to Bambi mode)?
  2. Jones (the strongest candidate - looked promising up until his injury)?
  3. Hatcher (Too small of a body of work to speculate)?
  4. Adams (is he even coming back?)?

It would be nice if we also had a Jay Novacek type of TE too...but Mang-->Novacek stretches these analogies a bit too far.

I'm in agreement here. The OLine - I'll need to see it to believe it.

The WR corps I am cautiously optimistic on, mostly due to the returns of Jones. Gadsden can continue to be our Michael Irvin - working between the hashes...But we need a consistent Alvin Harper type - working the deep routes down the sidelines.

Will that be:
  1. Alford (frustrating with his flashes of talent bookended by regressions to Bambi mode)?
  2. Jones (the strongest candidate - looked promising up until his injury)?
  3. Hatcher (Too small of a body of work to speculate)?
  4. Adams (is he even coming back?)?

It would be nice if we also had a Jay Novacek type of TE too...but Mang-->Novacek stretches these analogies a bit too far.
I’m high on the potential of a Gadsden, Alford, Jones trio for next year.

Can we get a Tight End in here for once though?

If we can get a legit C from the portal I’d be happier. I also wonder how many of our OL have hit their ceiling. Could be the new scheme, too. But I’d like to see a couple game-ready bodies come in.

WR I wouldn’t mind if they turned over the entire room other than Gadsden.

Agree with all this. I think the OL is at their ceiling and that’s a scary thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom