I think we can assume | Syracusefan.com

I think we can assume

Crusty

Living Legend
that MD and UR is not the earth shattering event some have made it out to be. ACC schools apparently were not wetting their pants and were not going hat in hand to the Big 10. I also assume that what is going on now has been a conversation that has been ongoing and has now been brought to the front. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing further got done at the moment and I wouldn't be surprised if a TV deal was finalized.

If the ACC is content that they have everyone corralled at the moment and have time to finalize what has been in the works for some time, we may not hear anything more for a time.

I have my doubts Maryland would have left if their athletic budgets weren't in such disarray. If they were more financially stable, then my guess is they would have stayed.

I have my doubts Maryland would have left if their athletic budgets weren't in such disarray. If they were more financially stable, then my guess is they would have stayed.
Agreed... they were underwater and grabbed for whatever lifeline they could get.

The whiny stars and bars crowd on the FSU forums are still agitating for Big 12 but I think the move this morning has pacified those who matter. I find it hard to believe that anyone else would seriously consider the Big 12, or B1G for that matter. The SEC is the one remaining threat IMO.

The whiny stars and bars crowd on the FSU forums are still agitating for Big 12 but I think the move this morning has pacified those who matter. I find it hard to believe that anyone else would seriously consider the Big 12, or B1G for that matter. The SEC is the one remaining threat IMO.
And I don't think the SEC adds schools in states it already occupies. So that really limits its targets to UNC or NC State and Virginia or V Tech. As long as the ACC is viable would the NC schools leave a conf they are at the core of to be tag alongs? And I doubt Virginia or V Tech go without a NC partner.

And I don't think the SEC adds schools in states it already occupies. So that really limits its targets to UNC or NC State and Virginia or V Tech. As long as the ACC is viable would the NC schools leave a conf they are at the core of to be tag alongs? And I doubt Virginia or V Tech go without a NC partner.

I hope this is true, but I kind of doubt it. If the SEC took Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Louisville, before they were just taken off the table, that would have been a hell of a move, in my opinion, and would have nailed down all the teams that matter in that part of the country.

I hope this is true, but I kind of doubt it. If the SEC took Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson and Louisville, before they were just taken off the table, that would have been a hell of a move, in my opinion, and would have nailed down all the teams that matter in that part of the country.
Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky would all be very upset by this move. The SEC isn't in a mode where they need to make defensive moves to lock up good football programs. They're fine there. The only moves that make sense for them is grabbing new territory and expanding their range of dominance. I could see an NC State and V Tech move... then leading to FSU, Clem etc bolting for the BIG12... but FSU, Clem, and LVille make no sense for the SEC.

Florida, South Carolina, and Kentucky would all be very upset by this move. The SEC isn't in a mode where they need to make defensive moves to lock up good football programs. They're fine there. The only moves that make sense for them is grabbing new territory and expanding their range of dominance. I could see an NC State and V Tech move... then leading to FSU, Clem etc bolting for the BIG12... but FSU, Clem, and LVille make no sense for the SEC.

It's called "rivalries". Conferences have forgotten about them lately, but they are important. The biggest failing of the ACC has been the lack of the Miami v Fla State rivalry they anticipated in 2003. Florida State already plays Florida. Why not in the league? It takes a big national rivalry game away from the ACC as a broadcast property. Similarly, Clemson v. South Carolina every year would be a hell of a game. If you're going to add teams, why not balance new TV markets with some quality brand teams. The Big 10 just made a move based on markets, but only after they moved on Nebraska, one of the finest brands in college football.

It's called "rivalries". Conferences have forgotten about them lately, but they are important. The biggest failing of the ACC has been the lack of the Miami v Fla State rivalry they anticipated in 2003. Florida State already plays Florida. Why not in the league? It takes a big national rivalry game away from the ACC as a broadcast property. Similarly, Clemson v. South Carolina every year would be a hell of a game. If you're going to add teams, why not balance new TV markets with some quality brand teams. The Big 10 just made a move based on markets, but only after they moved on Nebraska, one of the finest brands in college football.
Whether you agree with it or not, the basic point is the SEC has an understanding among its schools they wont add competition for them in states they already occupy. That leaves Virginia and North Carolina as states they would likely target, if any, from the ACC.

Whether you agree with it or not, the basic point is the SEC has an understanding among its schools they wont add competition for them in states they already occupy. That leaves Virginia and North Carolina as states they would likely target, if any, from the ACC.

Yep. It's a gentleman's agreement, as Dodd wrote today, but they have agreed that expansion will only be in new states. They could change their mind of course. But they are launching SECN soon, so it would be the same drill, new markets.

What?

Why is fsu-fla an ACC broadcast property??

And Clemson-S Carolina already is a hell of a game.

And Nebraska is national, they are 1 of the true haves of college football.

What?

Why is fsu-fla an ACC broadcast property??

And Clemson-S Carolina already is a hell of a game.

And Nebraska is national, they are 1 of the true haves of college football.

If the games are between them both as SEC teams. Try to keep up.

If I'm the SEC I'm in on Illinois and Texas. Chicago and Texas TV markets as well as rivals for two newest members.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

If the games are between them both as SEC teams. Try to keep up.
Keep up with what?

and Why? Stupid point that I just pointed out was unnecessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom