I tried bracketing the top players per decade from JB's tenure as HC | Syracusefan.com

I tried bracketing the top players per decade from JB's tenure as HC

Alsacs

Living Legend
The majority of your career counted as the decade I put you in.

1970s-80s bracket
1. Pearl Washington
2. Derrick Coleman
3. Sherman Douglas
4. Billy Owens
5. Roosevelt Bouie
6. Rony Seikaly
7. Stephen Thompson
8. Louis Orr

1990s bracket
1. John Wallace
2. Laurence Moten
3. Etan Thomas
4. Jason Hart
5. Adrian Autry
6. Otis Hill
7. Todd Burgan
8. Dave Johnson(originally Mike Hopkins)

2000s
1 . Carmelo Anthony
2. Hakim Warrick
3. Gerry McNamara
4. Jonny Flynn
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Eric Devendorf
7. Demetris Nichols(I put u before)
8. Josh Pace

2010s
1. Dion Waiters
2. Michael Carter-Williams
3. Wes Johnson
4. CJ Fair
5. Michael Gbinije
6. Arinze Onuaku
7. Rick Jackson
8. Scoop Jardine

Are there any obvious misses?

Last edited:

1970s-80s bracket
1. Pearl Washington
2. Derrick Coleman
3. Sherman Douglas
4. Billy Owens
5. Roosevelt Bouie
6. Rony Seikaly
7. Stephen Thompson
8. Louis Orr

1990s bracket
1. John Wallace
2. Laurence Moten
3. Etan Thomas
4. Jason Hart
5. Adrian Autry
6. Otis Hill
7. Todd Burgan
8. Mike Hopkins

2000s
1 . Carmelo Anthony
2. Hakim Warrick
3. Gerry McNamara
4. Jonny Flynn
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Eric Devendorf
7. Demetrius Nichols
8. Josh Pace

2010s
1. Dion Waiters
3. Wes Johnson
4. CJ Fair
5. Michael Gbinije
6. Arinze Onuaku
7. Rick Jackson
8. Scoop Jardine

Dave Johnson over Hopkins is one move I'd make.

I posted Arinze over Josh Pace in the 2000's and then realized you had him in the 2010's...

How does it work if they started at the end of one decade and finished in the next. Which one do they count for?

ok, you've got 4 decades. Now, time to start a tournament 80's #1 vs. 2010's #8...

Danny Schayes and Leo Rautins both first round draft picks. Does Marty Byrnes count? He was recruited by Danforth and played his first two years for Roy.
Over whom? I got no problem amending I had Hop over Dave Johnson originally.

1970s-80s bracket
1. Pearl Washington
2. Derrick Coleman
3. Sherman Douglas
4. Billy Owens
5. Roosevelt Bouie
6. Rony Seikaly
7. Stephen Thompson
8. Louis Orr

1990s bracket
1. John Wallace
2. Laurence Moten
3. Etan Thomas
4. Jason Hart
5. Adrian Autry
6. Otis Hill
7. Todd Burgan
8. Dave Johnson(originally Mike Hopkins)

2000s
1 . Carmelo Anthony
2. Hakim Warrick
3. Gerry McNamara
4. Jonny Flynn
5. Preston Shumpert
6. Eric Devendorf
7. Demetris Nichols(I put u before)
8. Josh Pace

2010s
1. Dion Waiters
3. Wes Johnson
4. CJ Fair
5. Michael Gbinije
6. Arinze Onuaku
7. Rick Jackson
8. Scoop Jardine

I feel like the 70s deserves a half team with 4 players. (Bouie, Orr, Dale Shackleford and Danny Schayes)

Then you can add Rafael Addison and maybe Leo Rautins or Tony Bruin to the 80s.

Billy Owens best Cuse years were 90 and 91, so I'd move him to the 90s (dropping Hart off the list. Hart was a decent pro, but was never a dominant college player)

*Lawrence* Moten.

Paul Harris may not have lived up to the hype, but I'd take him 7 days s week and twice on Sunday over Josh Pace.

Lydon over Scoop. Or Triche over Scoop. Scoop was terrific, but he is not top 8.
David Johnson should be listed higher.
Raf Addison should somehow appear.

I think the 70s could have its own listing.

I've got Rakeem Christmas and Tyler Lydon over scoop for the last spot but not by a lot. I understand the arguments for and against each but the there is one that particularly stands out to me as under acknowledged by our fans. IMO Rak's junior year was almost as good as his senior year but had a lower minutes played and a lower usage rate. I really think we could have gotten more out of him (and he would look historically better) in his junior year than we got.

Last edited:
Here are the Top 20 SU players since 2003 season by total Win Shares (a good but not perfect measure of overall contribution) PER and Box Plus Minus as other advanced metrics only go back as far as 2010.

Hakim Warrick 18.4
C.J. Fair 16.8
Gerry McNamara 16.2
Rick Jackson 15.6
Kris Joseph 14.9
Brandon Triche 14.4
Rakeem Christmas 13.5
Arinze Onuaku 13
Trevor Cooney 12.7
Scoop Jardine 12.1
Eric Devendorf 11.4
Paul Harris 11.2
Michael Gbinije 11.2
Terrence Roberts 11.1
Demetris Nichols 11
James Southerland 10.7
Darryl Watkins 10.4
Andy Rautins 10.2
Tyler Lydon 9.5

4 year players obviously have the chance to rack up more, Warrick only has 3 seasons in this count. As a four year player Lydon would definitely be number 1 or 2 on this list.

I feel like the 70s deserves a half team with 4 players. (Bouie, Orr, Dale Shackleford and Danny Schayes)

Billy Owens best Cuse years were 90 and 91, so I'd move him to the 90s (dropping Hart off the list. Hart was a decent pro, but was never a dominant college player)

*Lawrence* Moten.

Paul Harris may not have lived up to the hype, but I'd take him 7 days s week and twice on Sunday over Josh Pace.
Good call on those 70s and 80s era guys like Leo Rautins and Red Bruin. Shackleford was a tremendous player who is rarely mentioned anymore. I'd put Erich Santifer in that same category.

Although they wouldn't be in the top 10 in their era, Marty Headd was as good a shooter as I've seen, and Eddie Moss as fine a defender.

As for Paul Harris, I agree with you 100%.

*Lawrence* Moten.

Good call on those 70s and 80s era guys like Leo Rautins and Red Bruin. Shackleford was a tremendous player who is rarely mentioned anymore. I'd put Erich Santifer in that same category.

Although they wouldn't be in the top 10 in their era, Marty Headd was as good a shooter as I've seen, and Eddie Moss as fine a defender.

As for Paul Harris, I agree with you 100%.
Those Santifer/Rautins/Bruin teams were so much fun to watch, even if not as successful as other JB teams. The 1981 BE championship game (at the Dome) was electric. Red could jump out of the gym. Loved his athleticism.

And Dale Shackleford is very underrated by the majority of the fan base. Loved his game. He could make Manley explode.

And one more point - I would take Josh Pace 10 times out of 10 over Paul Harris. Maybe 12 times out of 10.

Those Santifer/Rautins/Bruin teams were so much fun to watch, even if not as successful as other JB teams. The 1981 BE championship game (at the Dome) was electric. Red could jump out of the gym. Loved his athleticism.

And Dale Shackleford is very underrated by the majority of the fan base. Loved his game. He could make Manley explode.

And one more point - I would take Josh Pace 10 times out of 10 over Paul Harris. Maybe 12 times out of 10.
No way I am taking Paul Harris over Josh Pace.
Pace is a member of the all-glue Syracuse team.

Harris took time off JB's life based on how he reacted.

No way I am taking Paul Harris over Josh Pace.
Pace is a member of the all-glue Syracuse team.

Harris took time off JB's life based on how he reacted.

At least Hop got to see his fill of Niagara Falls before he moved to the Pacific NW.

At least Hop got to see his fill of Niagara Falls before he moved to the Pacific NW.
I remember when we got Harris to commit and all the Chuck Norris jokes he would get. People thought Jonny Flynn was just an afterthought and we took him to get Harris.
Then Flynn blew up and became a 5 star recruit and Paul Harris just never developed in the Syracuse system like everyone thought when he committed.

Inch for inch, Harris was one of the best rebounders to ever come through the program. My kingdom for someone who could have hit the glass like that at the 2 or 3 on this season's team.