I Would Like to Have Some Sports Talk !!! | Syracusefan.com

I Would Like to Have Some Sports Talk !!!

newmexicuse

All Conference
Z v M ?

MCW v TE ?

JS v TC ?

Knicks - Nets - Comedy game of the year thoughts ?

Will Jimmy coach until 1K W's ????

Anything would be welcome !!!

How about our non-conf SOS. By year end might this be the highest non-conf SOS we have ever had? Colgate is actually proving to be decent. SFNY will be around the 100-150 mark. Cornell, Bing and High point the stinkers. Otherwise we will have a really nice looking sched. Minny, Cal, Baylor, IU, Nova, St Johns, East Mich is decent this year from a possible RPI perspective...

Thoughts?

How about our non-conf SOS. By year end might this be the highest non-conf SOS we have ever had? Colgate is actually proving to be decent. SFNY will be around the 100-150 mark. Cornell, Bing and High point the stinkers. Otherwise we will have a really nice looking sched. Minny, Cal, Baylor, IU, Nova, St Johns, East Mich is decent this year from a possible RPI perspective...

Thoughts?
Looks like a bunch of Top 25 teams, but no Top Tens in that list - If we beat Nova we should go undefeated in the non-Con games.

PS - THANK YOU !!!

Looks like a bunch of Top 25 teams, but no Top Tens in that list - If we beat Nova we should go undefeated in the non-Con games.

PS - THANK YOU !!!

Yeah im trying to think back on when we had a more difficult schedule from a holistic view. Certainly no top tens ( unless Baylor dumps UK which is possible and Baylor impressed me in Maui as we played really well and still barely kept them at bay).

How about is Trevor Cooney the most improved season to season player in SU history? If not who is?

How about is Trevor Cooney the most improved season to season player in SU history? If not who is?

Thats a good question. I think the fact Trevor is making shots can make it seem that way yet he was hustling on D all year last year and being disruptive. He is a better passer and has more confidence this year. He is one of the more complete SG's in the conference IMHO. Back to the improvement question.. Fab made large improvements as did Andy. Others like Rony, Etan, John Wallace etc too. Good question.

Thats a good question. I think the fact Trevor is making shots can make it seem that way yet he was hustling on D all year last year and being disruptive. He is a better passer and has more confidence this year. He is one of the more complete SG's in the conference IMHO. Back to the improvement question.. Fab made large improvements as did Andy. Others like Rony, Etan, John Wallace etc too. Good question.
Even though Trevor may hustle on D, that's not why he's out there. Remember earlier this year JB did the situational substitutions taking Trevor out on D for MG. We've needed a scoring sg and have been very fortunate Trevor has delivered.

Most of the people you listed improved a lot, but it was general improvement throughout their careers. Like Andy's 3 pt % notched up each year. That's what made me think about it. My expectation was that Trevor would be around what Andy did in his soph year (same area as D Nichols as a jr 36%). But Trevor's jump dwarfs the improvements those two did. Going from 27% to 46% is huge.

I hear they talk sports over at the Boneyard. Maybe you could try there. ;)

Great question - I remember Dave Johnson had a huge jump, I think between his soph & junior years if I am not mistaken. Also, how about MCW, Sims, or Sherm Douglas as guys that had big jumps on FF teams ?

Great question - I remember Dave Johnson had a huge jump, I think between his soph & junior years if I am not mistaken. Also, how about MCW, Sims, or Sherm Douglas as guys that had big jumps on FF teams ?
I did forget about Sims, he could be in the discussion.

But MCW and Sherm just didn't play much because of the people in front of them. I think they were good just not showcased. Kind of like Grant this year. He's good and will have a ton more stats because of opportunity.

But Trevor has gotten better. Even though we attribute it to mental/confidence, it didn't have to happen. Other good form shooters like Rautins and Nichols didn't jump 20 points.

Even though Trevor may hustle on D, that's not why he's out there. Remember earlier this year JB did the situational substitutions taking Trevor out on D for MG. We've needed a scoring sg and have been very fortunate Trevor has delivered.

Most of the people you listed improved a lot, but it was general improvement throughout their careers. Like Andy's 3 pt % notched up each year. That's what made me think about it. My expectation was that Trevor would be around what Andy did in his soph year (same area as D Nichols as a jr 36%). But Trevor's jump dwarfs the improvements those two did. Going from 27% to 46% is huge.

Yeah to lump in newmexicuse's point about MCW etc... the question becomes how can you assess that question without looking at whether the improvement came naturally or through opportunity therefore meaning it was there just no opportunity to show it off. I think Trevor has to be right up there as 46 to 27 is night and day no doubt.

Danny Schayes from junior to senior year. Seikaly from soph to junior year.

Yeah to lump in newmexicuse's point about MCW etc... the question becomes how can you assess that question without looking at whether the improvement came naturally or through opportunity therefore meaning it was there just no opportunity to show it off. I think Trevor has to be right up there as 46 to 27 is night and day no doubt.
I guess I could make it more specific. What is the biggest 3pt% rise year over year for people with over 100 attempts.

Just a gut feeling but it seems like Trevor has the Cuse record right now. Hope he can keep it up.

I guess I could make it more specific. What is the biggest 3pt% rise year over year for people with over 100 attempts.

Just a gut feeling but it seems like Trevor has the Cuse record right now. Hope he can keep it up.

In that regard I think he runs away with it...

In that regard I think he runs away with it...
Yes, I was being conservative, he is a lock for SU's title at the moment.

He's more of a national candidate at this point.

Fab is a good answer too. He went from being unplayable his freshman year to BE DPOY the next. From a benchwarmer (because he sucked), to a game-changer and one of the most feared players in the country.

But staying on the topic of Trevor for a second, Dakich made a point in the last game that often goes unrecognized...cutting ability. Several times this year, Cooney has snuck inside for layups because his defender overplays the three. It shows great awareness and I'm sure it frustrates the hell out of opposing defenders and coaches.

How about some MCW talk, recently had his trip doub, how many more is he going to get this year over or under 4?

Sgt Cuse said:

Fab Melo, no doubt in my mind.

4evaOrange said:
How about some MCW talk, recently had his trip doub, how many more is he going to get this year over or under 4?

That's a good number, I'd go under but end up with 3.

newmexicuse said:

PS - THANK YOU !!!
Going by Pomeroy, right now, it's 4 top 50 teams ... The Johnnies are 72. Nova will be the first top 20 test.