Idea: weekly Friday season-specific reminiscing | Syracusefan.com

Idea: weekly Friday season-specific reminiscing

Eric15

Living Legend
We have about 15 Fridays between now and the season starting. I thought it could be fun to reminisce about a specific season each week and talk about particular memories, away games/great tailgates you attended and what the experience was like, legendary drunken anecdotes, favorite players from that year, etc. etc. Obviously it will only be fun seasons -- nobody wants to talk about the GRob era.

How about 1992 to start? Was pretty loaded with excitement from start to finish.

Saturday, November 21st, mid-afternoon. A friend's father was good enough to take three of us young folks to the game in his firm's seats. And good enough to buy us food before the game.

What kind of food? Classic old-school, Tobin's First Prize Dome Dogs? Nope. Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, for this was the pre-Sbarro days.

So we got up to our seats, south side of the upper deck, about ten rows up at the 20 (the Graves-to-Gedney end), and started to watch warm-ups. I was just prepared -- Kevin McAllister-style -- to dig into my own, fresh, plain cheese pizza when the other kid in the group, my buddy's buddy, realized that he'd ordered some awful supreme pizza. After a couple bites and some rummaging around beneath the cheese, he found an offending piece of meat. And, since he was possibly the only 9-year-old vegetarian in Central New York in 1992, he was not going to eat it.

So a trade was forced upon me.

A few minutes later a football game was played.

I'm 99% sure this was my first home football game. It was an inauspicious introduction.

Last edited:
Saturday, November 21st, mid-afternoon. A friend's father was good enough to take three of us young folks to the game in his firm's seats. And good enough to buy us food before the game.

What kind of food? Classic old-school, Tobin's First Prize Dome Dogs? Nope. Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, for this was the pre-Sbarro days.

So we got up to our seats, south side of the upper deck, about ten rows up at the 20 (the Harrison-to-Gedney end), and started to watch warm-ups. I was just prepared -- Kevin McAllister-style -- to dig into my own, fresh, plain cheese pizza when the other kid in the group, my buddy's buddy, realized that he'd ordered some awful supreme pizza. After a couple bites and some rummaging around beneath the cheese, he found an offending piece of meat. And, since he was possibly the only 9-year-old vegetarian in Central New York in 1992, he was not going to eat it.

I'm 99% this was my first home football game. It was an inauspicious introduction.

I kept waiting for craft beer to somehow appear or evan an OV split reference. Your holding out on us. ;)

So we got up to our seats, south side of the upper deck, about ten rows up at the 20 (the Harrison-to-Gedney end), and started to watch warm-ups. I was just prepared -- Kevin McAllister-style -- to dig into my own, fresh, plain cheese pizza when the other kid in the group, my buddy's buddy, realized that he'd ordered some awful supreme pizza. After a couple bites and some rummaging around beneath the cheese, he found an offending piece of meat. And, since he was possibly the only 9-year-old vegetarian in Central New York in 1992, he was not going to eat it.

I'm 99% this was my first home football game. It was an inauspicious introduction.
Great game for a first.

I had to watch the first 3 quarters at a friends house who had one of those old KU band dishes. ABC had a split national game so locally it was the apple cup. ABC ended up switching in the 4th quarter because Drew Bledsoe destroyed Washington in the snow.

I was sitting so far back in the 200s in the corner where Marvin caught the 2 pt conversion throwback that I couldn't see a thing.

Just listened to the crowd erupt (and bounce off the concrete overhang) to know we got it.

That, and the 1991 opening kickoff against Florida, are two of my distinct memories of how loud the Dome got (and will get).

I was a teenager and distinctly remember my ears ringing after leaving both games.

I was sitting so far back in the 200s in the corner where Marvin caught the 2 pt conversion throwback that I couldn't see a thing.

Just listened to the crowd erupt (and bounce off the concrete overhang) to know we got it.

That, and the 1991 opening kickoff against Florida, are two of my distinct memories of how loud the Dome got (and will get).

I was a teenager and distinctly remember my ears ringing after leaving both games.
Texas game?

Texas game?

Yep, I got dyslexic on the date (12 vs 21) and completely fudged the month OttoMets put in his post.

I got Sept. 12 from Nov. 21 for those keeping score at home. ;)

The Texas game is such a fond memory for me that I've almost completely banished that gut wrenching Miami loss.

Edit - I swear I haven't started drinking. Yet.

It was my freshman year on the hill, had been to many basketball games but that Texas game was my first football experience in the Dome. That season spoiled me - I thought every football season would be that fun and exciting.

As a side note, my seat was in section 107, row 2 and the 2 pt. play vs Texas happened right n front of me. Yes, I was one of the pile of students who crashed over the railing when it broke - I kept a piece of the busted concrete as a souvenir. Pretty surreal experience.

Did anyone here:
-attend the game at WVU when Graves threw a punch?
-attend the Fiesta Bowl vs. Colorado?

Did anyone here:
-attend the game at WVU when Graves threw a punch?

-attend the Fiesta Bowl vs. Colorado?

Shenexon , you were there, right?

I remember listening to that one on the radio. Not sure why, I assume it was on TV.

We have about 15 Fridays between now and the season starting. I thought it could be fun to reminisce about a specific season each week and talk about particular memories, away games/great tailgates you attended and what the experience was like, legendary drunken anecdotes, favorite players from that year, etc. etc. Obviously it will only be fun seasons -- nobody wants to talk about the GRob era.

How about 1992 to start? Was pretty loaded with excitement from start to finish.

View attachment 163403
Sitting at Orange Cafe about Midnight on Thursday, committed to a spur of the moment road trip to Greenville for the ECU game. Did not realize really what was really happening until hitting the PA border. In back of Astrovan, had Friend A pissing in a cup. We hit a pothole and he streammed right into Frield B's eye. Epic. Stopped at Univ. of Richmond to party on Friday Night. Lots of parties in log cabins in the woods. Met some minx named Paige. Had fun. Woke up early Saturday to finish the journey. Great tailgate in hugh field about 1/2 mile from their stadium. Played some ECU fraternity in tackle football and waxed them. I got sucker punched after last TD. Wind was knocked out of me for seemingly 25 minutes. Eight of us painted our chests "S-Y-R-A-C-U-S-E" (one letter each) and walked in formation into the stadium. Lots of beers tossed on us. But great fun. Finally got to our seats and Qadry took a pitch 78 yards out of the wishbone on our first play from scrimmage. Game never in doubt. We were appropriately obnoxious in the stands and things got a tad dicey after the game, so we left town at around 10 or 11 p.m. back for Syracuse.

Sitting at Orange Cafe about Midnight on Thursday, committed to a spur of the moment road trip to Greenville for the ECU game. Did not realize really what was really happening until hitting the PA border. In back of Astrovan, had Friend A pissing in a cup. We hit a pothole and he streammed right into Frield B's eye. Epic. Stopped at Univ. of Richmond to party on Friday Night. Lots of parties in log cabins in the woods. Met some minx named Paige. Had fun. Woke up early Saturday to finish the journey. Great tailgate in hugh field about 1/2 mile from their stadium. Played some ECU fraternity in tackle football and waxed them. I got sucker punched after last TD. Wind was knocked out of me for seemingly 25 minutes. Eight of us painted our chests "S-Y-R-A-C-U-S-E" (one letter each) and walked in formation into the stadium. Lots of beers tossed on us. But great fun. Finally got to our seats and Qadry took a pitch 78 yards out of the wishbone on our first play from scrimmage. Game never in doubt. We were appropriately obnoxious in the stands and things got a tad dicey after the game, so we left town at around 10 or 11 p.m. back for Syracuse.

Man this one is going to be hard to top.

Shenexon , you were there, right?

I remember listening to that one on the radio. Not sure why, I assume it was on TV.
I remember watching the cut ins on ESPN, don’t remember which game was on. Watched the whole game the next day on Prime Sports Network who would replay some of the SUper Sports broadcasts.

My 33 year old body is sore just ready that itinerary. Sounds incredible.

I remember watching the cut ins on ESPN, don’t remember which game was on. Watched the whole game the next day on Prime Sports Network who would replay some of the SUper Sports broadcasts.

Man, we should have a thread dedicated to clips from SUper Sports broadcasts. This board needs more Dave Cohen.

I attended the Ohio St game with a neighborhood friend and his father. They had seasons at the 50 yd line, top or 2nd to last row opposite the SU bench. They bought me a Dome Dog and probably some other snack that was just as healthy. Thankfully I was only 10 at the time so I wasn't as distraught after the game as I am these days. In case anyone was wondering, no one peed in anyone's eye/face on the drive from/to the game.

Three of my best friends went to CU, and I watched the Fiesta at one of their houses. One of them was threatening to kick my arse the whole game while I drunkenly laughed in their face. Glorious!