If Buddy hadn't figured some things out | Syracusefan.com

If Buddy hadn't figured some things out

It almost seems like he’s looking over his shoulder . Last year it was him andTyus and no other options. Even in the 2nd half Frank was forcing awful shots. He seems scared to be pulled

He’s scared of buying into a role that doesn’t involve him dribbling the ball for 30 minutes a game. A little harsh but wasn’t there some buzz that he wasn’t the greatest of teammates as a freshman or sophomore? A leopard doesn’t change its spots.

Ugh. If I had been told in October that Buddy was gonna be playing at this level I'd have guessed we'd be top five.
Prime example of it working both ways- on one end, you’re really happy the guy supposed to be the 9th man and 4th guard is contributing so much. On the other, you shudder thinking about how some games might have gone without that production. All that said... it’s been disappointing from many players this season.

I'd like to see Hughes get his stroke/confidence back. Although he seems confident, the shots just aren't falling right now. If he and Buddy can both be real threats from the perimeter, TB keeps penetrating, OB stays with solid double-doubles and Dolezaj remains a glue-guy, we are in good shape. I'm not asking for too much, am I?

I think the lead of the OP is misleading... I don't think Buddy figured anything out, he was given enough playing time to adjust to the speed of the D1 hoops. The reason I bring this up is that most Syracuse freshmen are not allowed the time to adjust to a new level and are expected to "figure it out" from the bench and practices. For the record I'm not accusing JB of nepotism... we are desperately in need of a 3 pointe shooter so Buddy has been given the opportunity to adjust on the court. But this highlights one of my biggest frustrations with JB... unless we are in desperate need of a freshman's skillset he is not going to be given the opportunity to adjust.. he just needs to figure it out.

Not meant as a knock on the OP either... I agree without Buddy we'd be firmly on the NIT bubble.

Pretty happy with his offense, but it's his defense that has surprised me. He's done pretty well at the top of the zone. Sure he is a little slow compared to others, but he has gotten his hands on quite a few passes and either stole it or deflected it to another teamate. He's hustled and dove to the floor securing loose balls, which is a place where a few others lack effort. Overall he has not been thr liability than many thought he might be.

Howard is afraid of losing playing time. Many people will think like him in his situation. And all guards in the team are thinking like Howard now. Why can't we have an unselfish team?

Pretty incredible if you ask me. Dion Waiters averaged 24 mpg and was a lottery pick. Scoop Jardine averaged 25 mpg as a senior.

In the post game locker room interview Tyus talked about how Buddy’s presence on the court was allowing him room to get to the basket. Teams are reluctant to sag off Buddy to help on Tyus. Sounds like teams are less concerned when it’s Frank in the other guard spot.

It doesn't have to be Buddy. Maybe Frank is experiencing some PTSD as a result of him watching Jalen make the same mistakes he did as a frosh and those flashbacks are screwing with his mind?

Cheers,
Neil

In the post game locker room interview Tyus talked about how Buddy’s presence on the court was allowing him room to get to the basket. Teams are reluctant to sag off Buddy to help on Tyus. Sounds like teams are less concerned when it’s Frank in the other guard spot.
...and for the last few games they are leaving him open to shoot. Hopefully he will have a breakout game real soon and things will change. Seems to me all his 2 point shots are hitting the front rim while his 3 point shots are either hitting the back rim or completely missing. Where is the shot doctor. More likely in his head.

...and for the last few games they are leaving him open to shoot. Hopefully he will have a breakout game real soon and things will change. Seems to me all his 2 point shots are hitting the front rim while his 3 point shots are either hitting the back rim or completely missing. Where is the shot doctor. More likely in his head.

Well, based on what I see, he has definitely played better than he is playing right now. So he CAN play better.

I now am more optimistic in a game when I see either Buddy or Dolejaz at the scorers table checking into the game.

Last edited:
We'd kinda be screwed.

The dude is kinda saving the season.

I'm disappointed in you.

As self-proclaimed(as well as acknowledged by me, and maybe some others) arbiter of nicknames, I haven't seen yours for Buddy yet. My new rank is wanting one!

Buddy knows which side of the bread is butter is spread on. When his coach tells him not to shoot and the crowd screams at him to shoot, he does what Daddy told him to do.

Buddy knows which side of the bread is butter is spread on. When his coach tells him not to shoot and the crowd screams at him to shoot, he does what Daddy told him to do.

He should definitely listen more to that rabble of car salesmen and guys who work in cubicles at insurance companies dressed in orange t-shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom