If Ennis leaves for the NBA... | Syracusefan.com

If Ennis leaves for the NBA...

Dave85

Living Legend
I was checking all the recruiting websites for any PGs who have not committed. It's pretty slim pickings. If Ennis leaves for the NBA it will be difficult to recruit another PG. Even 2016 looked a little thin. Maybe someone will reclassify or someone will jump to our ship if Ennis leaves. We have plenty of SGs. We really need at least one more true PG. Any thoughts?

I was checking all the recruiting websites for any PGs who have not committed. It's pretty slim pickings. If Ennis leaves for the NBA it will be difficult to recruit another PG. Even 2016 looked a little thin. Maybe someone will reclassify or someone will jump to our ship if Ennis leaves. We have plenty of SGs. We really need at least one more true PG. Any thoughts?
He is not leaving ( I hope). Plus, we have his replacement coming in the next class.

Joseph is a true PG in next years class and will not be a 1 and done. Also we are in play for Battle in the 16 class who is a stud type possible 1 and done pg. Franklin should commit soon and he's a big combo guard class 15.

As already mentioned...Joseph will come in next year. That would mean our guard stable would consist of:

Joseph
Cooney
Gbinije
Patterson

If he goes, Joseph is up, Gbinije continues to give us something, and Patterson is in the mix.

I was thinking about Patterson. I hope he's practicing his ball handling skills and how to dish!!!

Question for the high school basketball followers out there.

If Ennis left how good is Kaleb Joseph and would he be able to come in and be respectable as a freshman?

I really wouldn't be surprised to see G start if JB doesn't feel Joseph can right away. G's got a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio in limited minutes, he seems to make some good passes. Being 6'7 doesn't hurt either.

If Ennis left how good is Kaleb Joseph and would he be able to come in and be respectable as a freshman?

Joseph is a score first point guard like Napier from that other school of which we do not speak. He can attack the rim and hit jumpshots. Unlike Ennis, he will not be a true point guard and make everyone better right away. Not saying it wont happen eventually, but we are blessed with Ennis.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see G start if JB doesn't feel Joseph can right away. G's got a 3:1 assist to turnover ratio in limited minutes, he seems to make some good passes. Being 6'7 doesn't hurt either.

I don't think G has show a strong enough handle to be the starting and 30+ minutes per game point guard. If Ennis leaves and Joseph isn't ready to take that role, expect next season to be a bit of a drop off from the last couple.

Respectable freshman? yes and probably pretty good but it won't seem like it after having Ennis. Joseph is more in the mold of a Jonny Flynn although I think his jumper and midrange game are better. He has an excellent handle, is very athletic but is probably only 6' or just over. He will be a very good player and although he is more of a scorer at times he's a hard worker and will learn to run offense over time. That's what I gather from watching his video's and reading up on him some guys have seen much more of him than me though.

Let's not sell Joseph short--this was the top guy JB prioritized as a backcourt recruit. Justifiably so--kid is a very good prospect.

But I agree that Ennis is having a special season, and is a tough benchmark to live up to at lead guard. I'm sure Joseph would be just fine in the circumstance presented above--he just wouldn't be Ennis.

And I'm hoping that Dasher's prediction above comes true, because I can think of no better luxury than having Ennis return, with Joseph able to apprentice for a year under his tutelage.

Let's not sell Joseph short--this was the top guy JB prioritized as a backcourt recruit. Justifiably so--kid is a very good prospect.

But I agree that Ennis is having a special season, and is a tough benchmark to live up to at lead guard. I'm sure Joseph would be just fine in the circumstance presented above--he just wouldn't be Ennis.

And I'm hoping that Dasher's prediction above comes true, because I can think of no better luxury than having Ennis return, with Joseph able to apprentice for a year under his tutelage.

Which of course would lead crazy people to believe there is nothing he could do to be considered a quality PG. I think Joseph could play and play well from day 1, but I would rather he didn't have to.

Joseph is a true PG in next years class and will not be a 1 and done. Also we are in play for Battle in the 16 class who is a stud type possible 1 and done pg. Franklin should commit soon and he's a big combo guard class 15.

Battle is going to be amazing, but he strikes me as much more of a hybrid combo guard. He has an awesome handle and could definitely be a PG but his versatility will allow him to be more than a lead guard.

Battle is going to be amazing, but he strikes me as much more of a hybrid combo guard. He has an awesome handle and could definitely be a PG but his versatility will allow him to be more than a lead guard.

True but I would guess he will have the ball in his hands a lot weather he is running offense or creating it for himself. He is kind of one of those do it all type players for sure.

The way that Ennis has played this season is why I said respectable. It would be hard to come in after such a good freshman campaign by Ennis.

True but I would guess he will have the ball in his hands a lot weather he is running offense or creating it for himself. He is kind of one of those do it all type players for sure.

Yeah, no doubt. He also is a plus rebounder and in the game I watched him play in person also blocked a couple shots, including one nasty facial that drew oohs and aahs from the crowd. He is an absolute must get and a perfect fit for our system. Kid is a star. I think he will wind up top 15 in his class overall when all is said and done. Glad we've been on him early.

I was thinking about Patterson. I hope he's practicing his ball handling skills and how to dish!!!

He's an interesting player. I usually have some sort of guess (right or wrong) about a player's future - he's an enigma. I have no idea what he will be, just a high-energy hustle guard, or something more. Really have no clue what to expect.

I don't think G has show a strong enough handle to be the starting and 30+ minutes per game point guard. If Ennis leaves and Joseph isn't ready to take that role, expect next season to be a bit of a drop off from the last couple.

His handle is okay, but for a point guard - definite shaky potatoes.

pfister1 said:

Will always be tough to replace back-to-back lottery pick PGs. We're spoiled as hell and I love it!! ;)

Have seen several videos of Joseph. I've seen him listed at 6'3". Probably a more dynamic point guard than Ennis but without his unbelievable court vision, instincts, etc. He is ultra quick andhas serious elevation when getting to the rim. Will be fun to watch but like all Orange fans hoping Joseph will be a back up to Ennis next year.

Might be wishful thinking but at least so far it seems like Ennis may not be leaving. Remember MCW was a sophomore (even though he barely played his freshman year), and at 6-6 had that "special" potential for the NBA. I watch every Cuse game so trust me I understand what Ennis brings but his game is more about consistency, and avoiding mistakes...and those qualities are nice but don't turn you into a lottery pick. Now if Cuse goes on a deep tourney run with Ennis blowing past Top 10 competition in games (like MCW did in '13), then all bets are off...but until then hopefully he returns for another season. If so, Kaleb might be another Dion Waiters situation stuck on the bench. He'd be behind Ennis, Cooney, and G...and still learning the zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom