If fall sports are cancelled | Syracusefan.com

If fall sports are cancelled

Alsacs

Living Legend
Then I wonder how many sports programs are cancelled for an additional year and how many sports survive in non P5 leagues.

This virus is going to ravage college athletics and it doesn’t make sense how these P5 schools seem to be on the edge as well when they have received so much in TV revenue the last 5 years.

It kinda amazes me but it appears even these P5 schools seem to living TV paycheck to TV paycheck and don’t seem to have built up nest eggs.

Spending must be out of control.

That article very articulately states why I hope colleges return to the central mission, namely educating young men and women. Not to be professional sports leagues. Let’s get back to scholarships for kids who want to play sports in order to get an education and a future. Let’s not throw more duct tape on a broken system in the form of salaries and such for players. Enough is enough!

If they move the season to spring, I'd actually be cool with that. March Madness, Spring football, NFL fall... Back to back to Back, a full year of no breaks in my favorite sports.

That article very articulately states why I hope colleges return to the central mission, namely educating young men and women. Not to be professional sports leagues. Let’s get back to scholarships for kids who want to play sports in order to get an education and a future. Let’s not throw more duct tape on a broken system in the form of salaries and such for players. Enough is enough!

Literally no one has made more money off COVID than Sally Jenkins employer.

Some schools mismanage money, others don't.

If they move the season to spring, I'd actually be cool with that. March Madness, Spring football, NFL fall... Back to back to Back, a full year of no breaks in my favorite sports.

agree and gives a chance of there being bowl games when there is zero chance in the fall of anything but the playoffs.

At most p5 schools, sports provide a source of income. Without this income, there would likely be less money to go around in the form of scholarships for non-athletes.

I am not necessarily against supporting players with $$, but keep in mind that every dollar that goes towards an athlete is a dollar less that the school has to spend on other endeavors.

At most p5 schools, sports provide a source of income. Without this income, there would likely be less money to go around in the form of scholarships for non-athletes.

I am not necessarily against supporting players with $$, but keep in mind that every dollar that goes towards an athlete is a dollar less that the school has to spend on other endeavors.
But that is a recent phenomenon. It wasn't really that long ago that it wasn't the money maker it is now. And as revenue sports have become a bigger deal, many schools have cut non-revenue sports. Correlation or causation?

I have been under the impression that AD money is separate from general school money at most universities. I'm pretty sure most non-athletic scholarships are funded in other ways. If that wasn't the case, how would schools without revenue sports, of which there are many more than schools with revenue sports, fund scholarships?

Literally no one has made more money off COVID than Sally Jenkins employer.

Some schools mismanage money, others don't.
Bezos, yes. But that's Amazon money, not WaPo money.

I heard that the NFL is considering Saturday games in the event of a p5 cancel.

Not at state schools. Most states have laws which forbid state tax money from going to athletics and there isn't any "profit" from athletics going the other way at just about every school. Facilities are paid for through the athletic departments' income and (much more importantly) donations. Please list the schools that have their athletic departments giving money back to their universities. There are a lot of myths circulating about how much football helps schools and most of them are exactly that, myths.

Not at state schools. Most states have laws which forbid state tax money from going to athletics and there isn't any "profit" from athletics going the other way at just about every school. Facilities are paid for through the athletic departments' income and (much more importantly) donations. Please list the schools that have their athletic departments giving money back to their universities. There are a lot of myths circulating about how much football helps schools and most of them are exactly that, myths.

Well Syracuse got heat when football monies went back into the university.

Clemson as you well know recruits kids up and down the east coast. Football clearly raised their profile and that out of state tuition doesn't stink.

Wasn't the Post losing money when Bezos bought it?

Probably most papers do. It's not like they're selling more ad space or getting new subs.
Good luck finding anything critical about Amazon moving to Northern VA or anything about the Governor who cut the deal with the owner of the paper. It's a conflict of interest many people don't seem to care about.

I thought all the stupid, lavish facilities were built with donated money?

How do you get people to donate the money for a facility, then not build the facility and tell the donors you’re building a nest egg in case there’s a catastrophe such as a pandemic that’s never happened before.

I thought all the stupid, lavish facilities were built with donated money?

How do you get people to donate the money for a facility, then not build the facility and tell the donors you’re building a nest egg in case there’s a catastrophe such as a pandemic that’s never happened before.

they are for the most part. And the article didn’t focus on them at all. It focused on toys. Coaching salaries. Number of staff like Alabama’s 13 analysts. AD salaries and staff. Travel budgets. Caribbean trips during thanksgiving. Conference admin salaries. Staying in hotels before home games. Etc etc.

they are for the most part. And the article didn’t focus on them at all. It focused on toys. Coaching salaries. Number of staff like Alabama’s 13 analysts. AD salaries and staff. Travel budgets. Caribbean trips during thanksgiving. Conference admin salaries. Staying in hotels before home games. Etc etc.

I guess they just used the facility stuff for the metaphors and zingers. I mean if you can’t work in a Kardashian reference, are you even doing your job?

I do look forward to where it’s all going to go. Will college football and basketball players be walking around campus with 7 figure bank accounts? Will agents be crawling around campuses?

And why does the article think 70 is the right number of scholarships? Seems counterintuitive to the one monetary benefit that’s being provided to so many kids who otherwise wouldn’t be able to get it.

Once in a lifetime pandemics certainly bring out the experts.

Anyone w a brain would realize the largesse in college athletics was due a come uppance.

I am guilty bc I donate usually to the athletics dept because ultimately it’s my only touch point post graduation.

my issue is zero rainy day funds when things go badly. These schools will end up getting rid of a well rounded dept to save football and basketball.

I truly wonder how title iv survives w this.Congress will deal w this when sec senators are pushed for a bailout at their schools

Sports also generate a ton of money to pay for those scholarships where non athletic scholarships don't. Athletics also generates tremendous amounts of dollars from donations (most schools, not SU) to pay for things for athletes.

A group of students can't generate 100 million in revenu to pay for themselves and their cost of attendance without athletics.

And schools keep athletic funding apart from their general fund.

50,000 people don't show up to a stadium to watch a chemistry test. Nor would they pay to do so.

It’s mind boggling how all these programs are basically surviving TV paycheck to TV paycheck.

An audit of P5 conference spending should be required so these conferences have rainy day funds.

Swimming/golf/track and field programs are going to be in trouble.