If Hughes returns next year... | Syracusefan.com

If Hughes returns next year...

oTTo113445

2nd String
imo, there is a chance we see Cuse extended press for 20 minutes a game. Just need Edwards and a 3rd guard who can score.

Why would Hughes come back?
Honestly don’t know why players came back 20 years ago under similar circumstances. Did Europe only recently create pro leagues and or increase their salaries?

Honestly don’t know why players came back 20 years ago under similar circumstances. Did Europe only recently create pro leagues and or increase their salaries?

Europe isn't for everyone.

Europe isn't for everyone.

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Watching Eli the last 10 games or so I'm not sure what kind of pro he will be. He clearly has skills that would allow him to be successful playing professionally, but his ability to consistently apply those skills to scoring and defending haven't been great. The long periods where he can't buy a bucket don't bode well for this chances of being hugely successful at the next level. But then again I haven't been very successful evaluating NBA talent, then again most NBA teams aren't that good at it either judging by their draft records.

Last edited:
I don't think he is going back and if he does or doesn't for the next two years at least we will play 7 guys with 4 of them averaging 30 plus per game.

He has 4 years of college under his belt, I think his upside is known, if he returns it would be as a graduate student. I don't think he is returning.

He's showing up on mock draft boards and will be 23 next season, with his degree. The pros know what he can do, it won't change with another season. He's having a terrific season, why not cash in now and play for pay next year.

risk/reward. its not as simple as just saying go cash in now.

cashing in for $250k a year or less is fine to say - but you can do that next year too... and try to improve your stock for a $50mil+ career

there are no right or wrong answers. players have to make their own decisions.

If Hughes wants to come back to college, he should consider a grad transfer. This team is going nowhere next year. All the same problems will exist next year. It’s hard for me to say this, but it might be best for Eli.

If Hughes wants to come back to college, he should consider a grad transfer. This team is going nowhere next year. All the same problems will exist next year. It’s hard for me to say this, but it might be best for Eli.

good lord this is a stupid post. I hate our fans. We get blown out one game after losing the previous 6 by 21 points and all the booger eaters are making H0T Takes.

what?! this team is going to be really good next year with Eli. There is so much growth to be had.

We get it, you are frustrated right now.

good lord this is a stupid post. I hate our fans. We get blown out one game after losing the previous 6 by 21 points and all the booger eaters are making H0T Takes.
I said this two months ago. I’m thinking of Eli not SU. There’s a reason there are grad transfers. SU is not immune from it. This program is trending down and has been for the past four years. Too bad if you can’t deal with it. There’s a lot of reasons why Eli might want to go to a team that has a chance to win a national championship or just make the NCAA Tournament.

I said this two months ago. I’m thinking of Eli not SU. There’s a reason there are grad transfers. SU is not immune from it. This program is trending down and has been for the past four years. Too bad if you can’t deal with it. There’s a lot of reasons why Eli might want to go to a team that has a chance to win a national championship or just make the NCAA Tournament.

It's a Syracuse board, not an Eli board.

I'm going to call out chicken little posts when I see it. If you don't like it TOO BAD. And for the record we can make the tournament with him next year FFS.

Eli - he gone.

To get paid as a Pro next year.
NOT to Grad x-fer to wherever. What would be the point of that??

The ACC is going to be so much better next year. We’re losing our best player and have no impact player coming in. We will be middle of the road at best again next year. The top four teams now will all be better than SU next year and North Carolina will be back near the top. They have a monster class coming in. Our defense isn’t going to get bigger and more athletic on top. We don’t have a big that weighs 215 pounds. Will we be better? Not without Hughes. A NCAA bid
is nowhere near a given next year. This team may not even make the NIT this year. There are no easy wins left on this years schedule. I would say VT, Pitt and BC are all trending up more than SU. Dior is still two years away. Don’t tell me a big from Columbia who averages 11 points a game is going to turn this program around.

risk/reward. its not as simple as just saying go cash in now.

cashing in for $250k a year or less is fine to say - but you can do that next year too... and try to improve your stock for a $50mil+ career

there are no right or wrong answers. players have to make their own decisions.
The probability of a scenario where Hughes goes from a $250k a year to a $50M career after playing another season of college ball is so small it doesn't merit discussion though.

Team defense can’t really improve if JGIII and Buddy are still up top for 40 minutes. And that’s the biggest thing that needs to get fixed.

Alternatively, if we can’t fix their defensive shortcomings it would be great to get greater consistency if they are going to play 40 minutes and we aren’t going to rotate in other guys to try to find a hot hand.

Nonsense.

The ACC is going to be so much better next year. We’re losing our best player and have no impact player coming in. We will be middle of the road at best again next year. The top four teams now will all be better than SU next year and North Carolina will be back near the top. They have a monster class coming in. Our defense isn’t going to get bigger and more athletic on top. We don’t have a big that weighs 215 pounds. Will we be better? Not without Hughes. A NCAA bid
is nowhere near a given next year. This team may not even make the NIT this year. There are no easy wins left on this years schedule. I would say VT, Pitt and BC are all trending up more than SU. Dior is still two years away. Don’t tell me a big from Columbia who averages 11 points a game is going to turn this program around.
I guess we can forget about getting Seth Towns or Tape then.

1) Hughes is not coming back
2) We only press when we're down double figures or more late in games when it's basically too late to get us back in the game.
2a) The press leaves bigs in a precarious spot to commit fouls. And our bigs don't need anymore help with that. It seems like before Q gets to the scorer's table, he's picked up a foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom