If JB wants good team the coaches need to add at least two more difference makers for next season. | Syracusefan.com

If JB wants good team the coaches need to add at least two more difference makers for next season.

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
An elite wing like a Powell to team with Benny and Buddy and another bigger guard who can shoot and make plays off the bounce. Edwards will be fine as the center.

Jimmy and Symir aren’t those difference makers though.

There’s guys out there, but recent evidence gives me confidence we will be able to do this.

And if the coaches are frustrated with what is happening I wonder if there heart is even in it to get the guys we need to be a good ACC team.

An elite wing like a Powell to team with Benny and Buddy and another bigger guard who can shoot and make plays off the bounce. Edwards will be fine as the center.

There’s guys out there, but recent evidence gives me confidence we will be able to do this.

And if the coaches are frustrated with what is happening I wonder if there heart is even in it to get the guys we need to be a good ACC team.

you think the assistant coaches are so disenfranchised by players leaving (like they are at every school) that they are not working hard? That's quite the take.

It's happening at every school. We're not immune to guys leaving with this one year get out of jail card.

you think the assistant coaches are so disenfranchised by players leaving (like they are at every school) that they are not working hard? That's quite the take.

It's happening at every school. We're not immune to guys leaving with this one year get out of jail card.

There’s definitely some infighting going on. We are going to end this with 3 players. It’s ridiculous. Most schools will at least be able to fill a starting lineup.

Meh

Some very interesting names. Torrence is a done deal now but Ty Goce and Tre Mitchell are interesting big forward options.
I usually like Mike Waters but his Wahab statement is moronic..."Syracuse seems pretty well set at center with Bourama Sidibe considering a return for a fifth year and Jesse Edwards ready to build on his late-season performances."

I am as optimistic about Jesse as anyone but he will need help. Sidibe? Yeah it woull be nice if he came back but you can't count on him playing to the point of you don't recruit someone there. To do otherwise would be moronic. SU needs big men that can play. More than 1.

Some very interesting names. Torrence is a done deal now but Ty Goce and Tre Mitchell are interesting big forward options.
I usually like Mike Waters but his Wahab statement is moronic..."Syracuse seems pretty well set at center with Bourama Sidibe considering a return for a fifth year and Jesse Edwards ready to build on his late-season performances."

I am as optimistic about Jesse as anyone but he will need help. Sidibe? Yeah it woull be nice if he came back but you can't count on him playing to the point of you don't recruit someone there. To do otherwise would be moronic. SU needs big men that can play. More than 1.

Yeah the Sidibe comment was not smart. Love the kid but his knees are shot and he’s played one full season here. That’s it.

This is what I'm talking about. You are actually saying that our staff is not interested in being a good team. That their hearts are not in having a successful team/program, that they won't or don't give their best efforts. The hubris of a statement like that is off the charts.

This is what I'm talking about. You are actually saying that our staff is not interested in being a good team. That their hearts are not in having a successful team/program, that they won't or don't give their best efforts. The hubris of a statement like that is off the charts.

I agree with this.

You could argue the staff's actions, decisions or strengths / weaknesses led to a downturn in the program. But that doesn't mean the staff was not trying like hell for a better outcome -- the actions and decisions they took, good or bad, were done with the intent of trying to make the team better. But those decisions are not always right -- and the staff does not always have the proper skills to be successful in the current environment. But they are still fighting.

I don’t think JB is giving his best effort. I really don’t. Gmac, Autry and Griff I am sure are trying everything they can yes.

Last edited:
What Mike is saying, I think, is that the coaches are not going to recruit a player at a position where we have the starter and the back up. You can disagree with that, of course. But that is their mind set. Not when there are other needs. my concern is that with the quality that is out there, we really aren't going to give the effort needed. Not because the coaches are discouraged. But because overall, the Head coach is happy with what we got. A kid like Powell would be just what the dr ordered. Another shooter like Buddy. Let them double him then. That is what a 45 year old head coach would be looking for. And in the end, that is what some 45 year old coach will get.

I don’t think JB is giving his best effort. I really don’t. Gmac, Autry and Griff I am sure are trying everything the can yes.

But why do you think that? Even if we go with the narrative that all he cares about is coaching his son, which I don't believe, but even if we say that is the case - he would want Buddy to play on the best possible team wouldn't he? Surround him with the best team possible?

I don’t think JB is giving his best effort. I really don’t. Gmac, Autry and Griff I am sure are trying everything the can yes.
We haven’t a balanced roster since 2012.
We have short a player every year since then.
We take on way too many projects and college basketball is all about guard play but we have been short on good guard depth for a while.

Roster management is the HC’s job.

They need to fight. Plenty of talent out there to get involved with. The kids leaving are gone and there is plenty of reason to be disappointed. It's hard to have so many new faces and gel.

I will not be excited if our biggest names are Torrence and Jimmy. Need more talent.

But why do you think that? Even if we go with the narrative that all he cares about is coaching his son, which I don't believe, but even if we say that is the case - he would want Buddy to play on the best possible team wouldn't he? Surround him with the best team possible?

I think JB is a lot like my MIL and he needs to do things his way because he wants to be right every time and won’t admit if he was wrong.

What Mike is saying, I think, is that the coaches are not going to recruit a player at a position where we have the starter and the back up. You can disagree with that, of course. But that is their mind set. Not when there are other needs. my concern is that with the quality that is out there, we really aren't going to give the effort needed. Not because the coaches are discouraged. But because overall, the Head coach is happy with what we got. I kid like Powell would be just what the dr ordered. Another shooter like Buddy. Let them double him then. That is what a 45 year old head coach would be looking for. And in the end, that is what some 45 year old coach will get.
I think by coaches you should say JB.

JB’s roster management 2017 was setting Mike Hopkins for failure.

I would love to disagree with you. But I can't. There are guys in the portal that should be must gets for us. Guys that on this team, that would make everyone forget what we have lost when the results start next year. The guy we got today isn't one of them. The next guy we get, who I really like, isn't either. I think the idea should be ...let's load up and take a run at this thing. We have players here that added with other guys make that possible. Just being good enough, isn't good enough. And if it is, well, that is our answer, isn't it.

I agree with you...I think Jim thinks that Buddy’s AAU team along with his brother, Benny, and Jesse can be a viable top 25 college basketball team. I dont doubt that he thinks that at all.

I would love to disagree with you. But I can't. There are guys in the portal that should be must gets for us. Guys that on this team, that would make everyone forget what we have lost when the results start next year. The guy we got today isn't one of them. The next guy we get, who I really like, isn't either. i think the idea should be ...let's load up and take a run at this thing. We have players here that added with other guys make that possible. Just being good enough, isn't good enough. And if it is, well, that is our answer, isn't it.

He said on the radio last week he wants to be a 2 seed, but I see no evidence of that. And I would have thought he would want to put the best team possible around Buddy who I think will be a great player next year.

He said on the radio last week he wants to be a 2 seed, but I see no evidence of that. And I would have thought he would want to put the best team possible around Buddy who I think will be a great player next year.
I think he will be a great player next year as well. And with Benny, who is going to be very good. we are off to the races. Now, throw in a guy like Powell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom