If Justin Fields gets a waiver and is eligible next year the NCAA should just get rid of the 1 year wait

Chip

Living Legend
Why is it a joke? He's taking advantage of the rule. He was a called a racial slur by another athlete. Georgia took care of the problem, but it likely wasn't the first time he's heard it at UGA and wouldn't have been the last.

I was called a slur (N word) at SU while pledging a fraternity by one of my line brothers. I don't know what the ethnic and racial background of this board is, but some of you will never be able to walk in his shoes especially as an athlete of the top program in the state of Georgia.
I can't walk in the shoes so I know I shouldn't comment.

But I would think the #1 HS football recruit has a little bit of protection at Georgia. To the point that I think if that baseball player ever showed his face around Athens again, especially now as a reason that Fields is transferring, that baseball player wouldn't leave with much of that face left.

If racist comments are being made about college football players by rabid fanbases, I doubt it only applies to the south, and I don't think going to Columbus, OH solves the problem.

Just my 2 cents.

If you believe for a single second that he is transferring because a kid who got kicked out of school for it called him a racial slur, I have some prime oceanfront in Syracuse to sell you. This is about having an opportunity to start at quarterback next season, plain and simple. He thought he would beat Fromm out, he didn't, and now he is transferring. This is nothing more than an attempt at skating around the transfer rule, that's why it is a joke.

Why is it a joke? He's taking advantage of the rule. He was a called a racial slur by another athlete. Georgia took care of the problem, but it likely wasn't the first time he's heard it at UGA and wouldn't have been the last.

I was called a slur (N word) at SU while pledging a fraternity by one of my line brothers. I don't know what the ethnic and racial background of this board is, but some of you will never be able to walk in his shoes especially as an athlete of the top program in the state of Georgia.

orangepassion

All American
I see your point coaches should have to honor there contract
It's hard to completely enforce, but it would be nice if a contract meant something. Wonder if there's anything that could be done to minimize the coach jumping and promote stability for the players.

dollarbill44

All American
I think it's a good idea. My only concern is when you reach a point that normal attrition throughout the season forces you to send out true freshman who aren't physically ready, and could get hurt.
As a fan of SU, I don't like the idea of reducing the number of scholarships. I think it would hurt the competitiveness of private universities due to the cost of attending. This rule would help the state universities most.

Cheriehoop

Staff member
All of these kids know when they commit to any school in any sport there's always a risk that someone could come in and take your spot. I mean the coach recruits a QB every single year, right?
True but this is a different level, that’s why Fields needs a waiver, isn’t it? Didn’t Fields realize that his coach could leave and that he would have to sit a year before becoming eligible if he decided to leave? It is an unfortunate but known risk that every player takes who commits and plays as much as every player knows each year that a player a coach believes is better will play.

True but this is a different level, that’s why Fields needs a waiver, isn’t it? Didn’t Fields realize that his coach could leave and that he would have to sit a year before becoming eligible if he decided to leave? It is an unfortunate but known risk that every player takes who commits and plays as much as every player knows each year that a player a coach believes is better will play.
I think whether Fields comes in as a transfer or a freshman the end result is still a coach bringing in new talent to the program so not much of a difference.

Fields isn't leaving because a coach left. He's leaving because he didn't see the field at UGA right away like Kirby promised and a racist baseball player at UGA's behavior is giving him a crack in the door to play right away without having to sit.

To all of you defending the idea that Fields is actually leaving because someone called him a name: Does it give you any sense of suspicion that his sister still attends Georgia? One would suspect she’d transfer immediately if she felt unsafe due to racial issues.

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
It's hard to completely enforce, but it would be nice if a contract meant something. Wonder if there's anything that could be done to minimize the coach jumping and promote stability for the players.
Well, parties to a contract can agree to end the contract.

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy
Kid transfers after making a dumb decision to go to a school where a freshman qb just took the team to OT of the national championship game, gets beat out and yet gets bailed out by the NCAA. What a bunch of garbage.

Hoo's That

All American
No surprise. If he was transferring to a "non" blue blood he would have to sit. NCAA looks out for their money makers.
You'll need to find another reason. The NCAA makes $0.00 each and every year from D-1A football. AMOF, they make $0.00 from any sport's regular season.

Got it. Have someone throw an unfortunate racial slur at you, and you can transfer without penalty. (If you're a 5 star).

Cootface

2nd String

Hoo's That

All American
Yes, all of those pages amount to $0.00 from D-1A football. The only mention of football in that document is a subsidiary that trains refs. They get no money from anyone's regular season television in any sport because they lost an anti-trust case in the Supreme Court, NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984). Why else do you think all the conferences can have their own network? What amounts to all of the NCAA's revenues (other than any dues and fines) comes from the contract with CBS for the D-1 Basketball Tournament. They do get some from ESPN for the other sports' championships, but nowhere near the basketball money. They can only sell the TV rights (the money maker) to what they own and that's only the championships, not anything in any sport during the regular seasons courtesy of the Supreme Court.

Last edited:

blizz

Starter
Yes, all of those pages amount to $0.00 from D-1A football. The only mention of football in that document is a subsidiary that trains refs. They get no money from anyone's regular season television in any sport because they lost an anti-trust case in the Supreme Court, NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma, 468 U.S. 85 (1984). Why else do you think all the conferences can have their own network? What amounts to all of the NCAA's revenues (other than any dues and fines) comes from the contract with CBS for the D-1 Basketball Tournament. They do get some from ESPN for the other sports' championships, but nowhere near the basketball money. They can only sell the TV rights (the money maker) to what they own and that's only the championships, not anything in any sport during the regular seasons courtesy of the Supreme Court.
I know you qualified your initial statement as pertaining to the regular season and you are absolutely correct that the note on revenues is silent when it comes to regular season football.
You have to agree though that if D1 football were to disappear tomorrow, a whole bunch of attorneys would be in a room somewhere renegotiating the future value of those TV rights.
That was my only point, to say the NCAA makes $0 may be technically correct, but practically speaking is misleading at best.

Might as just well now allow players to transfer after games and join another team immediately.

3-4 teams per season? Why not?

Top Bottom