If Swider was main focus of the offense | Syracusefan.com

If Swider was main focus of the offense

Cuse_NYC

Starter
This is a tournament team, no doubt. Not trying to be harsh, but he’s just a much better player than Buddy in all facets of the game. Even the Swider backdown > Buddy backdown. Really hope he comes back and gets to play with a pg who can get him shots. The floor should be wide open next yr with Sy and Edwards

I just don't see his game being one you center an offense around. He's a solid secondary option, just not dynamic enough to be the primary one. He disappears a LOT because if he's not immediately open when he catches the ball on the perimeter there's not a whole lot he can make happen for himself or others.

All this said he ended the year with some really nice games, and if he decides to take his last year of eligibility hopefully he can carry over and be more of the guy we saw at the end of the year that looked comfortable and aggressive, and not the guy at the start of the season that seemed a little too amped up and jittery. He definitely turned things around. At points in the season I felt a little disappointed with what we brought to the team, but by the end of the year I thought he was pretty good.

This is a tournament team, no doubt. Not trying to be harsh, but he’s just a much better player than Buddy in all facets of the game. Even the Swider backdown > Buddy backdown. Really hope he comes back and gets to play with a pg who can get him shots. The floor should be wide open next yr with Sy and Edwards
He's not even close to being as adept as Buddy at backing down a defender and getting his shot.

I would be ecstatic if Cole came back, but if the focus is a pro career, I just don't see the benefit of returning. He had some nice games at the end of the year to show his peak capabilities. Averaged a little over 16 pts/game in Feb/March. Would it help to show a little more consistency through a season at the expense of being a year older? Maybe. I think he rides this little hot streak to the pros somewhere.

I just don't see his game being one you center an offense around. He's a solid secondary option, just not dynamic enough to be the primary one. He disappears a LOT because if he's not immediately open when he catches the ball on the perimeter there's not a whole lot he can make happen for himself or others.

All this said he ended the year with some really nice games, and if he decides to take his last year of eligibility hopefully he can carry over and be more of the guy we saw at the end of the year that looked comfortable and aggressive, and not the guy at the start of the season that seemed a little too amped up and jittery. He definitely turned things around. At points in the season I felt a little disappointed with what we brought to the team, but by the end of the year I thought he was pretty good.

He is the ideal leader, the guy you work hard to get into the flow of the game because he is such an X factor.

I think we need a guard though in today's game to be that guy, a guard with size, shooting and athleticism. A big like Jesse is a bonus and gets you over the top. A big 3 that excels at different things to me is key.

Cole had every opportunity to make plays on this team. He was terribly inconsistent until the last couple of weeks. No way he should have been the focal point on offense.

Cole had every opportunity to make plays on this team. He was terribly inconsistent until the last couple of weeks. No way he should have been the focal point on offense.

Many games he made plays beyond scoring to be fair. Leading rebounder this year.

I do think he could be much more consistent with a second year as a starter and featured guy. It took him a while to get comfortable in such a role and you could argue he was still working on it as the season ended.

Many games he made plays beyond scoring to be fair. Leading rebounder this year.

I do think he could be much more consistent with a second year as a starter and featured guy. It took him a while to get comfortable in such a role and you could argue he was still working on it as the season ended.
I was only commenting from an offensive standpoint. I like Cole and maybe another year would be good for him.

Is it true that JB is trying to pitch him on being "the man" that gets the ball next year on clear outs?

I was only commenting from an offensive standpoint. I like Cole and maybe another year would be good for him.

Yeah all depends on whether he needs to get paid now or not. He is obviously an elder statesman like Jimmy but there are advantages for him to come back and add one more layer of polish to his game to get a real look in one of the better pro leagues.

As the year went on the team was better at getting him shots. His defense improved a lot as the year went by. When you have a proven scorer and your best rebounder is thinking about coming back it could be huge.

He‘s also talked about going into broadcasting. So a graduate degree from Newhouse could really help.

People overly focus on Symir’s “inability to shoot”.

Symir shouldn’t be the 1 because he’ll put the ball in the hoop more than the other options.

It’s his connection with scorers like Swider, and ability to dribble face to the basket and penatrate.

Swider’s a sleeper All ACC candidate with Symir at point and defenses having to account for a healthy Edwards.

When ACC coaches are tasked with picking between shutting down Cole or Joe (off the ball) on the perimeter, they will pick Joe.

Cole has an opportunity in 2022.

Like the OP's optimism on Cole, even if I disagree with his assessment on this past season. That being said I look forward to having him back next year and hopefully carrying on from some of the late season success.

I disagree, but that's sorta why i do want him to come back—because he won't be the primary focus of the office, like Buddy absolutely was.

If he comes back, and gets fed a regular diet of open Js by Symir and Mintz, he will feast. His game will blossom with better playmakers than Joe has been, and without the 'black hole' of Buddy's constant iso game.

imo, Swider would be awesome but he needs someone else to score other than Jessie and Joe to take the pressure off him some.

Would love to have Buddy but 27-32mpg, with half of those minutes being full hustle if he returns. The Transition on both ends and slow defense experiment is hurting us, and being one of the top 20 ppg players in the ncaas does not equal good team chemistry.

Would love to have Buddy but 27-32mpg, with half of those minutes being full hustle if he returns.
JB wouldnt have said what he did at the presser if Buddy was returning. Ship has sailed.

I wonder if the Nova board follows his hardwood exploits the way we do our ex-players?

I wonder if the Nova board follows his hardwood exploits the way we do our ex-players?

I don’t know of a good nova board (never was one, they were douchebags at the old site back in the day).

but looks like marquette follows symir. “Interesting” to see comments about our roster makeup from impartial fans

Is it true that JB is trying to pitch him on being "the man" that gets the ball next year on clear outs?
If I was Swider, I would be eager to play a full year with Torrence and Edwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom