If the Big XII expands without a TV extension the conference is done | Syracusefan.com

If the Big XII expands without a TV extension the conference is done

Alsacs

Living Legend
When their GOR expires and this expansion would be a cash grab for the 8 teams not Oklahoma and Texas.
The immense pissing off of Fox and ESPN to take advantage of the pro rata provisions would be death for the conference.
Fox and ESPN stepped up in 2011 when the Big XII lost 2 members. Those networks will not like the money they are spending for American teams.

It appears the conference is going to add 4 football teams and the 800 million from ESPN/Fox to get more money for themselves and give their new schools less than a full cut.

I generally agree with your thoughts; however, the recent B1G TV deals have proven that CFB and CBB are severely underpaid by the TV networks. If ESPN and Fax can pay double for a Wisconsin-Minnesota game than what the SEC, ACC and PAC get for an equivalent game, then there is plenty of money left to go around (as in each conference can expect double what they are getting and hoops is far more valuable than the TV people are letting on!). As long as UT and OU are happy, the conference stays together. If they ever become unhappy, the conference is toast.

Still, the Big 12 has a terrible problem in that their footprint is still small which could keep the Big 12 a distant #5 (which s still better than the rest) and for Iowa State, OKieState, TexasBlech, etc., a distant #5 is about the best they can hope for unless the get sucked into another P5 by the vortex created when UT and/or OU leave.

Last edited:
I generally agree with your thoughts; however, the recent B1G TV deals have proven that CFB and CBB are severely underpaid by the TV networks. If ESPN and Fax can pay double for a Wisconsin-Minnesota game than what the SEC, ACC and PAC get for an equivalent game, then there is plenty of money left to go around (as in each conference can expect double what they are getting and hoops is far more valuable than the TV people are letting on!). As long as UT and OU are happy, the conference stays together. If they ever become unhappy, the conference is toast.

Still, the Big 12 has a terrible problem in that their footprint is still small which could keep the Big 12 a distant #5 (which s still better than the rest) and for Iowa State, OKieState, TexasBlech, etc., a distant #5 is about the best they can hope for unless the get sucked into another P% by teh vortex created when UT and/or OU leave.
lol. I never understood how the B12 homers could argue they were better off than the ACC. The schools you just mentioned are in the middle of nowhere, with very regional fan bases. No way are they more valuable than teams in the bottom half of the ACC, which far and large are in bigger markets. Now is Texas worth more than any ACC school, absolutely, so as you said, as long as UT and OK are happy, the conference will be around. The minute they want, out, sayonara.

lol. I never understood how the B12 homers could argue they were better off than the ACC. The schools you just mentioned are in the middle of nowhere, with very regional fan bases. No way are they more valuable than teams in the bottom half of the ACC, which far and large are in bigger markets. Now is Texas worth more than any ACC school, absolutely, so as you said, as long as UT and OK are happy, the conference will be around. The minute they want, out, sayonara.
Sadly, if you say it enough times, people begin to believe you. See Dude, The

Texas is only valuable in their own state, if they were really valuable the LHN wouldn't be an albatross for ESPN.

please take Houston, Memphis, Cincy & BYU/Colo St/UCF/Tulane
please please
please please
please please
please please

Sadly, if you say it enough times, people begin to believe you. See Dude, The

True...which is why Oklahoma to the B1G is imminent. All the inside chatter seems to point to a decision very soon.

NASA can confirm. He knows.

Still, the Big 12 has a terrible problem in that their footprint is still small which could keep the Big 12 a distant #5 (which s still better than the rest) and for Iowa State, OKieState, TexasBlech, etc., a distant #5 is about the best they can hope for unless the get sucked into another P5 by the vortex created when UT and/or OU leave.

I think there will be schools who are currently in the P5 that will opt out of being in what will likely become the Power 4 football conferences when the next shift occurs. Everything we've been told for years will be that there will be 4 conferences with 16 schools each. Right now there are EXACTLY 64 schools in the Power 5 conferences however this does not include Notre Dame and BYU who will likely need a seat at a conference table and others like Houston and Boise State who are football crazy schools that want to play at the highest level. WHEN the Big 12 implodes, I honestly wouldn't be shocked if schools like Iowa State, Kansas State and even Kansas decide to drop down to the Group of 5 for football. And who knows? Maybe even a once proud school with a tiny fan base who is struggling to compete in its new digs (BC) may go down a level as well. I think the ACC was a home run for schools like Miami, Syracuse, Louisville and Pitt, especially because of the level of bball played by the latter 3 (and Miami's hoops program has actually grown since going to the ACC). I don't think it's been so hot for BC and I think VT has designs on going to the SEC if asked. If those 2 schools left it would open the door to the ACC for WVU, TCU and who knows...maybe a Texas and ND combo?!? I think both of those schools realize the monetary value they'd add together to any conference would be astronomical.