If this is our team next year... | Syracusefan.com

If this is our team next year...

SUOrangeSU

All Conference
Call me crazy but I love it. Yes, I wish we were better defensively but you add all these guys another year experience and I think this could be a sneaky good team

and we arent done yet adding players to this team next year...

If Hughes stays were top 15 all year.
So what’s the deal with him? I don’t follow draft stuff. I hope this injury is not going to hobble him for too long. And they say he did it during warm ups? Maybe this has been discussed and if so, sorry.

We need Hughes to stay. I know he wants to go, but I understand that so far he’s not showing up high enough on the draft boards.

I wonder if he will be one of the players JB tells to go to maximize his chances(like Brissett, etc)? His aging an extra year after the transfer doesn't exactly help him.

So what’s the deal with him? I don’t follow draft stuff. I hope this injury is not going to hobble him for too long. And they say he did it during warm ups? Maybe this has been discussed and if so, sorry.
I am not sure what happened tonight injury wise. I missed most of the first half (I am at work). I know draft wise he is not projected to go in the first round. Probably a mid to late round pick in round 2.

I mean CBB is down as a whole so lots of teams will be returning a lot/improving like Cuse. I still don't believe in Girard/Buddy on defense. Too slow. There are some pieces to work around but the current guys need to improve by leaps and bounds.

Call me crazy but I love it. Yes, I wish we were better defensively but you add all these guys another year experience and I think this could be a sneaky good team

and we arent done yet adding players to this team next year...

Agreed, but it’s a tough sell with this group.

I mean CBB is down as a whole so lots of teams will be returning a lot/improving like Cuse. I still don't believe in Girard/Buddy on defense. Too slow. There are some pieces to work around but the current guys need to improve by leaps and bounds.

A Center who can erase mistakes made by the guys at the top of the zone will be key. We’re not bringing in one of those but maybe, hopefully JBA could do a little something there. We should at least have more bodies available at the 5 to throw fouls at dudes.

Guerrier has come along nicely. If he keeps improving at a steady pace and Eli comes back, the wings of the zone will be excellent. Eli isn’t the best rebounder but he actually protects the rim pretty well, especially for his size.

Girard and Buddy can’t get worse on defense. And Goodine has flashed potential at the top of the zone. Should be in line for more minutes. Girard and Goodine should be better on offense. Either way, there’s little chance the guard play won’t be better next year.

The team is only a departure or two away from being bad again, though. If Eli leaves, they’re probably toast. If JBA and or Edwards can’t play legitimate minutes at least without hurting the team, it’s going to be a bad time. If Sidibe gets hurt (God forbid) or leaves for some reason, it’s probably going to be a bad time. We all know he’s limited, but nobody on the current roster is going to be a star at Center. Not in the near future. Even if JBA and/or Edwards are ready to play next year, they won’t be ‘30 mpg ready’.

WHEN YOU WALK THROUGH THE STORM
HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH
AND DON’T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Great reference, Liverpool's(not the CNY one) theme song! A classic, whose ending appears at the end of Pink Floyd's classic song "Fearless"(not without reason), which on some of my better days I remember to use as my theme. Some of my favorite allegory of all time. If I could use a song as my signature on here, that probably would be it.

Walk on, walk on
With hope in your hearts
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Yeah, I really wonder how much better this core can get on the defensive end due to all the limitations. Hard to envision this crew going from horrible to above average and the only teams that go anywhere have balance.

Maybe. Certain guys are who they are and the ACC won’t suck as much. I like the makeup in terms of being fun to watch but the lead blowing thing is worrisome don’t matter who the it is we let them back in automatically no matter what. Every game it’s the same thing.

Guerrier will be a terror on the boards next season, and Edwards will be vastly better as he adds muscle in the off-season. Girard may be a nearly finished product, but these frosh bigs (and Goodine) will make major strides year over year.

We need Hughes to stay. I know he wants to go, but I understand that so far he’s not showing up high enough on the draft boards.

Dude is like 27 now. He's been in college longer than Daniel D-Day Simpson. ;)

His game is about as NBA ready as it's going to get.
And he's not getting any younger.

Dude is like 27 now. He's been in college longer than Daniel D-Day Simpson. ;)

His game is about as NBA ready as it's going to get.
And he's not getting any younger.

Hughes isn't going to stay -- he needs to start earning professional salary.

Next year's team's ceiling will be predicated upon how they replace him, and who they add from here on out. They've got some interesting irons in the fire.

I think next years team could be good without Hughes if a few of these things happen:

1. A center develops into a consistent player that give 8 and 6 night-in, night-out.

2. Buddy and Joe improve their defense to the point that they are at least solid. I don’t ever expect them to be great defenders.

3. Cuse needs someone who can penetrate the lane and create for others. Whether that’s Richmond, Goodine, Carey, or someone they pick up as a grad transfer, they need someone who can do that. You can’t just have shooters and rebounders.

4. Quincy builds on the promise he’s shown recently and becomes a force. I think this is the most likely of the 4. I really like this kid.

If Hughes leaves, who takes his place on the wing? We don't have anyone currently on the roster or coming in next year that can come even close to replicating his shooting ability at the forward position. I'm afraid of what happens if we go back to having only 1 or 2 guys on the court at a time that can knock down a jump shot.

If Hughes leaves, who takes his place on the wing? We don't have anyone currently on the roster or coming in next year that can come even close to replicating his shooting ability at the forward position. I'm afraid of what happens if we go back to having only 1 or 2 guys on the court at a time that can knock down a jump shot.

grad transfer

Your point? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry - didn't think I needed to spell it out for anybody.

He's been in college for 4 years now.
He likely has his degree, or very close to it.
He went to college to prep for a career AFTER college, not to stay as long as possible.
That career is PRO basketball, not playing for free for our amusement.

He's already an ACC POY candidate - what's the upside if he comes back??
He improved dramatically this season vs. last, it's highly unlikely he makes another huge leap like that.

There is minimal (if any) upside to him returning, and tons of downside re: draft potential.
See: Battle, Tyus. Fair, CJ. Joseph, Kris.
Plus injury risk.

tl/dr - he gone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marz44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom