If this offense doesn't get you excited | Syracusefan.com

If this offense doesn't get you excited

two3zone

RIP Shark58
Then I feel very very sorry for you and you probably have a miserable life.

This was the most excited I've been about a Syracuse offense in a long long time. I know all games aren't going to be and look like this but the first game of the Babers era (using players that aren't even fit for his system) is just exciting and should give all of us some great hope for this program going forward.

If an NFL team had the balls to run this type of offense, it would blow ratings through the roof.

Wish the Packers would do this with their HOF QB instead of running their fat RB toss plays on 3rd and 2.

OrlandoCuse said:
If we can just get a running game to counter our passing game. Watch out baby.

It will come.

OrlandoCuse said:
If we can just get a running game to counter our passing game. Watch out baby.

Yeah, that's about my only complaint other than not being able to finish off a few drives.,

Expected much more from Strickland and Fredericks.

Yeah, that's about my only complaint other than not being able to finish off a few drives.,

It was a tad frustrating to watch us march down the field with ease only to kick a short field goal. Very early though, especially considering we played the exact opposite of this offense for so long.

Yeah, I'm sold. That was incredibly entertaining and will only get better.

Look at Dungey's numbers tonight, then look at his game log last year.

c8tfaCz.jpg

sorry i expected much more from the oline, and running schemes. they ran where they were told to. no one opened any holes. neal was ok because he is small, and fast.

sorry i expected much more from the oline, and running schemes. they ran where they were told to. no one opened any holes. neal was ok because he is small, and fast.

This ESPN article speaks to that a little bit tipp. Look to the end. They were stacking the run. Sounds like Babers wants to run it, but this offense is predicated on taking the easiest route to the end zone. If your 'backers aren't going out to cover the perimeter players, then you're throwing the ball. If they do, then you run. It makes no distinction on how we get the yards, just as long as we do. We did last night. I have faith that when teams start trying to load up on the pass, and spread out against our receivers, the run game will thrive. It's a give and take based on what the defense is trying to do.

This ESPN article speaks to that a little bit tipp. Look to the end. They were stacking the run. Sounds like Babers wants to run it, but this offense is predicated on taking the easiest route to the end zone. If your 'backers aren't going out to cover the perimeter players, then you're throwing the ball. If they do, then you run. It makes no distinction on how we get the yards, just as long as we do. We did last night. I have faith that when teams start trying to load up on the pass, and spread out against our receivers, the run game will thrive. It's a give and take based on what the defense is trying to do.
thanks for the link. i still have concerns re the oline and the rungame as well as dungey's protection. to me 4fgs against colgate says a lot about us that will not go unnoticed by our opponents that will adjust their d accordingly.

Spot on. You take what the defense gives you, they dictate where the O goes.

I hear you. I think it's a combination. I think there were missed assignments, and to me that's a new system/first game type of think. Hopefully over the course of the year some of that will be settled, fixed through practice.

I think the second part is simply the scheme. It's not what ANY of us are used to watching out of SU football. It's amazing, because it actually is essentially an old offense wrapped up in new, revolutionary thinking. A veer that spreads you out and moves fast. I ran a veer in high school, I'm sure many on this board did. It's a simple vanilla offense, that tries to use misdirection to get the upperhand on teams that could be physically more imposing.

This offense does the same thing, but it adds in the fact that it spreads the field so the defense's best athletes have a choice to make. Cover the perimeter and try to take away the pass, or stay inside and use your superior athleticism to stifle the run. That's a choice teams haven't had to make in the past with us. A choice that led to 430 some odd passing yards, and 33 points. If we keep kicking field goals in the red zone, I'll be right there with you, but I think we'll see progress in that department as the season wears on, and the team realizes what this offense is capable of.

thanks for the link. i still have concerns re the oline and the rungame as well as dungey's protection. to me 4fgs against colgate says a lot about us that will not go unnoticed by our opponents that will adjust their d accordingly.

"The road to excellence is not paved with satisfaction." Oh Lord

I hear you. I think it's a combination. I think there were missed assignments, and to me that's a new system/first game type of think. Hopefully over the course of the year some of that will be settled, fixed through practice.

I think the second part is simply the scheme. It's not what ANY of us are used to watching out of SU football. It's amazing, because it actually is essentially an old offense wrapped up in new, revolutionary thinking. A veer that spreads you out and moves fast. I ran a veer in high school, I'm sure many on this board did. It's a simple vanilla offense, that tries to use misdirection to get the upperhand on teams that could be physically more imposing.

This offense does the same thing, but it adds in the fact that it spreads the field so the defense's best athletes have a choice to make. Cover the perimeter and try to take away the pass, or stay inside and use your superior athleticism to stifle the run. That's a choice teams haven't had to make in the past with us. A choice that led to 430 some odd passing yards, and 33 points. If we keep kicking field goals in the red zone, I'll be right there with you, but I think we'll see progress in that department as the season wears on, and the team realizes what this offense is capable of.
i really like your replies as it gives me a very good football education!!! and i am not being sarcastic!!! it helps me understand

Art Briles played for Bill Yeoman when he ran the veer option at Houston.

Go look at the game totals for BG last year, some games they passed for 400+, and ran for 100+, then a game against Ball St pass 200+, run 300+. Babers wants to take what the defensive alignment gives them, and use that to score. If you are looking for an outstanding passing, and running game, every game, it doesn't happen with this offense.

Go look at the game totals for BG last year, some games they passed for 400+, and ran for 100+, then a game against Ball St pass 200+, run 300+. Babers wants to take what the defensive alignment gives them, and use that to score. If you are looking for an outstanding passing, and running game, every game, it doesn't happen with this offense.
then take what they give you in the red zone--which he did not. not faulting him at all. he took the points knowing how the oline was playing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom