If we are going to play 4 WR/5WR offense | Syracusefan.com

If we are going to play 4 WR/5WR offense

Alsacs

Living Legend
I get Dino wants to have a spread offense. It’s very appealing to fans and helps gets players 1 on 1 in space.
It makes sense.
If we are going to run this offense with this OL we need the QB to get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds.

I rewatched the game we had 44 drop backs and the ball doesn’t get out fast. I counted 5 passes the ball I got out fast. DeVito holds the ball. One thing Welch did was get rid of the ball faster.

Coaching needs to work on this. We should be able to help the crap OL.

Sorry for lecturing, because I know EVERYBODY knows this.
When a team blitzes, it opens other things up. Screens and quick hitters take advantage of the spaces that the blitzing LB's and DB's vacate.

But we haven't seen this. Instead, what we have seen is almost a record-setting number of sacks and the QBs getting banged up.

Some of this is because of poor O-line play and backs not picking up blitzers. Part of it is due to more pass rushers than blockers. Then there is the problem of the QB holding onto the ball too long.

In the first part of the season, TD was plagued by poor(inaccurate) throws, not seeing open receivers, interceptions and intentional grounding calls. He's no doubt worried about all of these and now he has to get the ball off in 2.5 secs or less.

And he struggles to do these five things.

Welch's comparative strength is that he's bigger and stronger, can withstand the punishment better and runs like a Tight End. You can't arm tackle Welch so he can escape some of the time..

I get Dino wants to have a spread offense. It’s very appealing to fans and helps gets players 1 on 1 in space.
It makes sense.
If we are going to run this offense with this OL we need the QB to get rid of the ball within 2.5 seconds.

I rewatched the game we had 44 drop backs and the ball doesn’t get out fast. I counted 5 passes the ball I got out fast. DeVito holds the ball. One thing Welch did was get rid of the ball faster.

We used to rely on a lot of quick hitters and we did that at the end of Ncstate game but again, the D they played at the end of the game isn’t a good way to make comparisons. But where are those quick passes from previous years. Someone mentioned it the other day, those for us are like run plays. Even if we only pick up 2-3 yards that’s better than a sack. Are all the D’s playing press coverage all game and those plays are too risky?

The screen pass should be open except for the fact that it requires the OL to get out and block. The few times we've gone to it, they have failed in that regard. I think it was the WMU game, we ran a RB screen to the left that was set up perfectly with the LG and LT out in front with the safety (I think) who made the tackle for a short gain because the LT walked right past him.
I think we tried one against Clemson that resulted in a sack because the OL let everyone through completely untouched and the DL got to TD the same time as the ball.

we need some semblance of a run game or we will not be competitive in the ACC without our defense resembling Fort Knox.

Trill being hurt is a terrible blow. I don’t see another W on the schedule except maybe Bc

we need some semblance of a run game or we will not be competitive in the ACC without our defense resembling Fort Knox.

Trill being hurt is a terrible blow. I don’t see another W on the schedule except maybe Bc

As I said the other day, Abdul Adams getting 2 carries is criminal.

That's not us. Nor should it be.

The screen pass should be open except for the fact that it requires the OL to get out and block. The few times we've gone to it, they have failed in that regard. I think it was the WMU game, we ran a RB screen to the left that was set up perfectly with the LG and LT out in front with the safety (I think) who made the tackle for a short gain because the LT walked right past him.
I think we tried one against Clemson that resulted in a sack because the OL let everyone through completely untouched and the DL got to TD the same time as the ball.

We used to throw a ton of passes out wide to a 2 WR side, throw went to 1 WR and the other blocked. Even when it seemed a lot of times there were 3 defenders in the area the play usually at least got 1 - 3 yards but it forced the defense to react. One big issue right now is we aren't/can't do anything that causes the defense to react. That's why Welch coming in created a change in the game even if he played poorly overall. His TD pass and then his runs completely changed the complexion of Pitt's D.

It makes sense.

How much did we run short quick routes like erv used to or Riley last year. I really see a big void here. Wonder about that.

As I said the other day, Abdul Adams getting 2 carries is criminal.

That's not us. Nor should it be.

He had that great cut back against Pitt (dodging 2 defenders on what should have been a 3 yard loss) gaining 8 yards or so and I don't think he carried the ball much after that, puzzling to me

if teams know you struggle to block, they attack even more.. when they combine that with tighter coverage lots of plays are tougher to run..

Its hard to even tell how many times TD pulled the throws down.. Was it because the first read wasnt open, was it the DL was in the passing lane?

You need to have some designed throws go to the 2nd/3rd reads and not all be drop and throw.

And what we also dont know is are the QBs and the WRs on the same page.. We have so many decisions made post play call maybe sometimes the ball isnt thrown because the Wr isnt where the QB expects and who knows who is reading that wrong..

It makes sense.

I rewatched the game as well. When there were sacks, Pitt got into the backfield in under three seconds from the time of the snap. There was a strategy and plan to counter Pitt's aggression, but the dropped pass by Trishton and the near drop by Nykeim set the tone. The entire offense is in a funk.

if teams know you struggle to block, they attack even more.. when they combine that with tighter coverage lots of plays are tougher to run..

Its hard to even tell how many times TD pulled the throws down.. Was it because the first read wasnt open, was it the DL was in the passing lane?

You need to have some designed throws go to the 2nd/3rd reads and not all be drop and throw.

And what we also dont know is are the QBs and the WRs on the same page.. We have so many decisions made post play call maybe sometimes the ball isnt thrown because the Wr isnt where the QB expects and who knows who is reading that wrong..

Pitt went to tighter coverages and almost lost the game with it (their running game at the end and a gratuitous overturn might have saved them).

We learned that Harris was beating the bump and run. So either he broke free, or they held him/interfered with him. To me it was a little glimpse into his reasons for frustration.

I'm more worried that we see more 3 to 4 man fronts with 7 to 8 in zone. Seems like it works well against an insecure OL and a QB with a ticking time bomb of a mental clock. Plus it takes away the QB run.

Pitt went to tighter coverages and almost lost the game with it (their running game at the end and a gratuitous overturn might have saved them).

We learned that Harris was beating the bump and run. So either he broke free, or they held him/interfered with him. To me it was a little glimpse into his reasons for frustration.

I'm more worried that we see more 3 to 4 man fronts with 7 to 8 in zone. Seems like it works well against an insecure OL and a QB with a ticking time bomb of a mental clock. Plus it takes away the QB run.

Yep. I thought we had a chance vs Pitt pregame, because Narduzzi is loathe to play zone or have his CBs play too far off.

I rewatched the game as well. When there were sacks, Pitt got into the backfield in under three seconds from the time of the snap. There was a strategy and plan to counter Pitt's aggression, but the dropped pass by Trishton and the near drop by Nykeim set the tone. The entire offense is in a funk.
I'm too lazy to track this, but I want to say we've had a drop on our first possession in like 4 games.

I truly don’t think they have a good blocking W/R anymore. They had custis. Even Butler was a great blocking W/R. And had Ravian as well to help with screens and passes out to the sidelines for screens. I don’t think this group has the blocking capabilities like previous years

Who isnt going to saved by the same QB as last year.

you really believe this nonsense? there was a lot that went right last year and Eric was at times really and truly amazing. But you don’t get to say the OC gets dogged for this season and no credit for the very good season before.

plus, we don’t even have that season without TD and ED

its not the Wr its not the Qb its not the OC.. its the oline.

just watch the plays and the D its called against and you see so many perfect calls fail because of blocking issues. 7 on 4 pass blocking is breaking down.

Maybe its the OC...

I'm starting to think that way, too.
It's unbelievable what's happened to this team.
Play calling has done nothing to give us a strategy to make the O functional.

you really believe this nonsense? there was a lot that went right last year and Eric was at times really and truly amazing. But you don’t get to say the OC gets dogged for this season and no credit for the very good season before.

plus, we don’t even have that season without TD and ED
it's just so goofy. offensive lineman that did a good job last year get no credit. it was all dungey dungey dungey. those guys are replacement level, you might think they did a good job but nope it was all extreme grape man

its not the Wr its not the Qb its not the OC.. its the oline.

just watch the plays and the D its called against and you see so many perfect calls fail because of blocking issues. 7 on 4 pass blocking is breaking down.
totally agree. you can't overcome half your offense being arguably the worst in college football. mobile quarterbacks, playcalling, you just can't do it. you've shown great examples in the running game. "ok, this looks like it could be somethiiiinope it's going nowhere"

everyone is overthinking it. devito makes it worse with his flaws but people are going to remember welch like he was mahoney at pittsburgh for throwing 2 tds

the difference is Welch could and wanted to run Where TD is pretty not supposed too, and Welch completed a hail mary type throw and a bunch of PI calls. Would love it if the oline would get TD 3-4 tries a game to throw deep in rhythm..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom