If we played | Syracusefan.com

If we played

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
With just half the effort and grit as we did today we would of won 20 games. But im looking forward to a different look Syracuse team next year without the Boeheim’s. Not because they weren’t good enough but its like working for a family business, sometimes you get benefits you shouldn’t compared to the other players. And it ruins chemistry and the effort of the others imo.

With just half the effort and grit as we did today we would of won 20 games. But im looking forward to a different look Syracuse team next year without the Boeheim’s. Not because they weren’t good enough but its like working for a family business, sometimes you get benefits you shouldn’t compared to the other players. And it ruins chemistry and the effort of the others imo.
I get it but as far as the chemistry goes, I think the guys seem to get along great. Good kids who really liked each other. We could have used Jesse not getting hurt and another good player.

I get it but as far as the chemistry goes, I think the guys seem to get along great. Good kids who really liked each other. We could have used Jesse not getting hurt and another good player.
One could argue that the other good player is Benny living up to his recruiting ranking. This is not a bad foundation.

Jesse/Frank
Cole/Benny/JBA
Symir/JG3
plus 6 recruits gives us 13.

and we could have used the kind of point guard play all season that we got from Symir the last two days, that was a huge flaw with this team.

One could argue that the other good player is Benny living up to his recruiting ranking. This is not a bad foundation.

Jesse/Frank
Cole/Benny/JBA
Symir/JG3
I hope Cole comes back, but that's very questionable. If Benny can take a big step forward then all of a sudden we have some pretty good athleticism up front with him and Jesse, and finally some potentially good PG play with Symir and JG3 going back to his natural position.

Jesse/Frank
Cole/Benny/JBA
Symir/JG3
I said it before and I’ll say it now. We still need to land at least one really good forward transfer.

Jesse/Frank
Cole/Benny/JBA
Symir/JG3
i doubt JBA will be back. We would need a much better 3rd forward, maybe one of the frosh emerge and another guard.

I said it before and I’ll say it now. We still need to land at least one really good forward transfer.
If Cole comes back, and Benny comes back, the hope is that that will net us Mintz. If it does, I don't think we will go after another forward (even though we sure need one) because they wouldn't want to do anything to make Benny leave and have Mintz not come. If Mintz goes elsewhere, get another forward.

I understand what you are saying but it was very apparent all year long that Buddy would play 38+ minutes a game at the 2 and Joe would be in the 35+ point range at the 1. The last two games exposed the flaw.
It was obvious from that day in April when Symir committed. I literally said it at the time. I hoped I would be wrong all year. It's been absolutely infuriating watching Buddy and Joe at the guard spots the last 3 years...even more so because IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT. They simply can't play together. Like, and I know this isn't the best example, but if you watch the Lakers with Westbrook and Lebron enough (granted Westbrook is basically toast now) you watch and go, well this isnt going to work. That was Joe and Buddy. Certain games would they both go off and counter the complete lack of defense, sure. But it was NEVER going to work long term and it didn't. I'm sad Buddy is gone, but I'm happy his partnership with Joe is over.

i doubt JBA will be back. We would need a much better 3rd forward, maybe one of the frosh emerge and another guard.
I included JBA because he might be part of the thirteen. Whether he returns or not is a different story. Hopefully, one of the forward recruits, possibly Bunch or Taylor, gets the opportunity to crack the rotation.

If Cole comes back, and Benny comes back, the hope is that that will net us Mintz. If it does, I don't think we will go after another forward (even though we sure need one) because they wouldn't want to do anything to make Benny leave and have Mintz not come. If Mintz goes elsewhere, get another forward.
What’s your personal take? I think Benny will get there eventually, but I still think he needs development time. If we can get a really good forward out of the portal, I think we have to go get him. We desperately need scoring and athleticism help. And I don’t have much faith that anyone in this freshman class will be an instant major contributor, outside of Mintz if we get him.

We need another forward, even with Swider back. Today is exhibit A as to why.

Without Boeheim, next year's forward group that might be ready to play is extremely thin. Not to mention Williams will be coming off of injury and prior to injury, wasn't nearly good enough to be worthy of more than spot minutes. Our rotation right now.

Swider*
Williams*
Bunch
Brown

Two freshmen, and sophomore who wasn't good enough to break the rotation on a 7-deep team, and a guy who is 50-50 to return. A lot of question marks, and would like some answers.

Imagine if we had 11 or 12 legitimate scholarship players instead of 9. We could have weathered the injuries and actually had depth today. The second Cole got that 3rd and 4th foul game was essentially over.

It also took Symir running the point and JB brilliantly mixing up the defenses. We should be mixing up the defense like that every single game from here on out. It really had an effect on Duke.

I think this team would have been so much better with Symir getting 25 minutes a game at PG with Joe picking up the other 15 and another 15 at SG. Buddy getting 25 at SG and another 8 at F in a rotation with Jimmy and Cole and Benny picking up 7-8 a game depending on things. I haven't done the math on the F minutes, so nobody shoot me.

Without Boeheim, next year's forward group that might be ready to play is extremely thin. Not to mention Williams will be coming off of injury and prior to injury, wasn't nearly good enough to be worthy of more than spot minutes. Our rotation right now.

Swider*
Williams*
Bunch
Brown

Two freshmen, and sophomore who wasn't good enough to break the rotation on a 7-deep team, and a guy who is 50-50 to return. A lot of question marks, and would like some answers.
We need another forward, the type that can make shots and score. Not the old school type that just grabs rebounds type of foward. And a starting pg or we’re just playing behind the 8 ball all year again. We need a playmaker that’s what this team desperately needed as pg. Who can also score. They’re out there. And don’t put all our eggs in one basket.

Swider*
Williams*
Bunch
Brown

You might have missed by begging for a real quality forward in the portal. I now believe the reason that JB says we won't do that is that we want to make sure we have Benny because Mintz only comes here if Benny is here. i've come to understand that position. maybe one fo the frosh will emerge. But, if we don't get Mintz, all speed ahead on a portal forward.

We need another forward, the type that can make shots and score. Not the old school type that just grabs rebounds type of foward. And a starting pg or we’re just playing behind the 8 ball all year again. We need a playmaker that’s what this team desperately needed as pg. Who can also score. They’re out there. And don’t put all our eggs in one basket.
The portal has proven that there are a lot of great players at smaller schools. Guys who are smart, that can shoot the ball and play well. When you have portal guys making All-American and Conference POY, it just means we need to dig through the dirt to find them.

You might have missed by begging for a real quality forward in the portal. I now believe the reason that JB says we won't do that is that we want to make sure we have Benny because Mintz only comes here if Benny is here. i've come to understand that position. maybe one fo the frosh will emerge. But, if we don't get Mintz, all speed ahead on a portal forward.
Do they have a relationship or something?

There is zero evidence that team chemistry was an issue, none, zero, nada.

the Pitt game is the only one they came out with nothing. And then I think they went 6-1 after that

We need more than one guy who can beat his man off the dribble. I love what Symir can do with the ball in his hands. But we desperately need a forward who can put the ball on the floor and go. And we need more beef in the middle. Frank has to hit the weights… and even Jesse too. We get out-muscled for rebounds, and too frequently have balls stripped away. All of those things are possible.

the thing is, i wouldn't have thought so. But it appears that Mintz wants to play with Benny. It's why we are being considered.
Mintz would do wonders for next years team. We need a closer like him. We lost these 10 games and this was the score around the 5:00 minute of each game.

5:22 left Su 67 Gatown 66
5:31 left Va 61 Su 57
4:50 left Mia 69 Su 67
5:15 left Wake 62 Su 61
5:20 left Su 64 Fsu 64
6:56 left Va tech 54 Su 54
4:05 left Nd 65 Su 63
5:50 left Su 65 UNC 63
6:28 left Su 62 Mia 52
4:51 left Duke 76 Su 74

the thing is, i wouldn't have thought so. But it appears that Mintz wants to play with Benny. It's why we are being considered.
So, I guess my follow up is...are we worried that Benny might not come back? By what he has said I wouldnt think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom