If you could ask JAB one question that he had to answer honestly, what would it be. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

If you could ask JAB one question that he had to answer honestly, what would it be.

This is obvious. Because we didn't fire the coach. The NCAA rightly enough wants to send a message to other schools about infractions and penalties. Firing the coach is one of those steps you take to penalize yourself rather than have the NCAA penalize you harder. It's not part of any formal deal but it's kind of understood that this step will be taken.
Did they want to send a message or where they out for JAB. The NCAA investigated for seven years and found almost nothing except for the Fab Melo issue where a student who barely spoke English needed some help. No way those victories should have been taken away.

So is it targeting, agenda driven then? Want a coach out - target that program? Favored coaches and programs they decide not to pursue vs targeting programs , and coaches they want out? So they want universities to fire certain coaches on their behalf because they don’t have that power and will punish them for not doing it? I’m not questioning what you are saying, just thinking of the implications.

No I don't think there's a personal vendetta. Major infractions most of the time trigger a set of events at a school that involves firing the coach. It's an unrecognized part of the process. When it doesn't happen, then the NCAA steps up its punishment. The logic on paper at least would seem to be that there needs to be a disincentive for the coach to keep on cheating or allow for cheating. If the school won't do its job, then the NCAA will. You've got to remember that this is an organization filled with lawyers who want to protect their rules.

I'd like to know his opinion on what's happening with the FBI investigation, the Adidas $$$, the assistant coaches being arrested, etc. and what impact that sort of cheating has had on college basketball. Without necessarily naming names, I'd also be interested in hearing his opinion of how wide spread the problem is.

How many games would you have won without GMAC his senior year?

No I don't think there's a personal vendetta. Major infractions most of the time trigger a set of events at a school that involves firing the coach. It's an unrecognized part of the process. When it doesn't happen, then the NCAA steps up its punishment. The logic on paper at least would seem to be that there needs to be a disincentive for the coach to keep on cheating or allow for cheating. If the school won't do its job, then the NCAA will. You've got to remember that this is an organization filled with lawyers who want to protect their rules.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your logic, but . . .

UNC got away with fake classes and we got to hear Emmert's silly wheelhouse defense of his poorly run organization.

Duke has hired recruits' family members and had players spending tens of thousands on bling and cars. Not a sniff from Emmert's boys.

Jay Wright admitted calling recruits over fifty times, knowing he wasn't allowed to. This occurred around the same time as some of our violations. The NCAA chose to slap him on the wrist. He went on to win a couple of titles while we slogged through sanctions.

Sure does seem personal sometimes.

UNC got away with fake classes and we got to hear Emmert's silly wheelhouse defense of his poorly run organization.

Duke has hired recruits' family members and had players spending tens of thousands on bling and cars. Not a sniff from Emmert's boys.

Jay Wright admitted calling recruits over fifty times, knowing he wasn't allowed to. This occurred around the same time as some of our violations. The NCAA chose to slap him on the wrist. He went on to win a couple of titles while we slogged through sanctions.

I don't know if it's personal, but it is definitely arbitrary and capricious.

And there is little doubt that the NCAA situationally selects who to go after vs. who not to.

And there is little consistency in terms of the order of magnitude of punishments for schools that commit similar infractions -- precedence only seems to matter when it is convenient for the NCAA.

Some good ones already listed.

I would like to know why he has such confidence in GMac as a coach and recruiter.

#GMachater

Some of these could be called into his show. he commented on the Adidas scandal last year. It certainly doesn't involve his program as we are a Nike school. I'm sure he's commented on the North Carolina situation although its old news by now. And you could just ask how well GMAC or any of his assistants are doing as recruiters. These aren't "ask and duck" questions and wouldn't involve legal restrictions for him.

Given the fact that the bball tournament is the NCAA's cash cow, it may well be that some very high-profile programs don't get the same scrutiny as others do. It could also be that they're more competent at cheating than we are. I don't remember the Wright stuff but his actions probably don't rise to the level of major infractions. They probably did 15 years ago. It could be that it's all arbitrary but it could also be that the humans in charge of NCAA investigations then had different priorities than they do now. Most of the people in Indianapolis probably aren't lifers so there's probably a fair bit of turnover. Anyway, if the whales are off limits, clearly we're not a whale in the NCAA's eyes. Maybe a good-sized dolphin?

Given the fact that the bball tournament is the NCAA's cash cow, it may well be that some very high-profile programs don't get the same scrutiny as others do. It could also be that they're more competent at cheating than we are. I don't remember the Wright stuff but his actions probably don't rise to the level of major infractions. They probably did 15 years ago. It could be that it's all arbitrary but it could also be that the humans in charge of NCAA investigations then had different priorities than they do now. Most of the people in Indianapolis probably aren't lifers so there's probably a fair bit of turnover. Anyway, if the whales are off limits, clearly we're not a whale in the NCAA's eyes. Maybe a good-sized dolphin?
I would say that knowingly cheating over fifty times in recruiting is a much worse violation than having players ref some YMCA games. The Fab paper is inexcusable and deserved punishment. I still think Jay’s recruiting violations were worse, based on his arrogance alone. When you consider what has happened to both programs since, it’s sickening.

I would say that knowingly cheating over fifty times in recruiting is a much worse violation than having players ref some YMCA games. The Fab paper is inexcusable and deserved punishment. I still think Jay’s recruiting violations were worse, based on his arrogance alone. When you consider what has happened to both programs since, it’s sickening.

No doubt, they were major infractions at one point. Remember Kelvin Sampson? Of course, there was a lot of other nonsense going on then at Oklahoma.