If you could ask JAB one question that he had to answer honestly, what would it be. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

If you could ask JAB one question that he had to answer honestly, what would it be.

Wait, one question that he *has* to answer honestly?

I would totally ask him to fully detail all of the "gray area" things he has witnessed, permitted or caused within the program over the past 40 years.

I mean, you guys wouldn't want to hear him recount the McCroskey punch, Michael "the hammer" Edwards, DeShaun/Shumpert, Conrad McCrae's street payments, etc?

You want to ask him about overrated coaches?!

Who is your daddy and what does he do?

The-Undertaker-WWF-1999.jpg

1. What are the biggest reasons we can't/don't recruit the elite guys we got in the '80's with the same frequency?

2. Why do other teams successfully strategically switch defenses and we can't?

Last edited:
I would say that knowingly cheating over fifty times in recruiting is a much worse violation than having players ref some YMCA games. The Fab paper is inexcusable and deserved punishment. I still think Jay’s recruiting violations were worse, based on his arrogance alone. When you consider what has happened to both programs since, it’s sickening.

I know we're all Syracuse fans, but this is a misrepresentation. Is calling players 50+ times a bad offense? I don't know the specifics, but maybe it is. Is it worse than having students take course credit for an unpaid internship while getting paid for that internship? Again, I'm not in a position to judge. But that's a clear violation and a serious one. It wasn't "having players ref some YMCA games."

What are your thoughts on Hop possibly getting a commit from Isaiah Stewart?

I know we're all Syracuse fans, but this is a misrepresentation. Is calling players 50+ times a bad offense? I don't know the specifics, but maybe it is. Is it worse than having students take course credit for an unpaid internship while getting paid for that internship? Again, I'm not in a position to judge. But that's a clear violation and a serious one. It wasn't "having players ref some YMCA games."
One question associated with that may be, why do you take a more hands off approach away from the court than some other coaches, given the NCAA's emphasis on the head coach's role in a given program?

One question associated with that may be, why do you take a more hands off approach away from the court than some other coaches, given the NCAA's emphasis on the head coach's role in a given program?

I think Boeheim, like a lot of us, might struggle with that existential sort of question. But if it were off the record and he felt like rambling, it could be pretty interesting. I vaguely recall his mentioning in the McCallum book that he liked playing in a laissez faire program in college. And maybe that his high school experience was more strict? And I assume it's just less stressful to run a hands-off program. Getting too involved with college kids' extracurriculars is taxing.

Not necessarily disagreeing with your logic, but . . .

UNC got away with fake classes and we got to hear Emmert's silly wheelhouse defense of his poorly run organization.

Duke has hired recruits' family members and had players spending tens of thousands on bling and cars. Not a sniff from Emmert's boys.

Jay Wright admitted calling recruits over fifty times, knowing he wasn't allowed to. This occurred around the same time as some of our violations. The NCAA chose to slap him on the wrist. He went on to win a couple of titles while we slogged through sanctions.

Sure does seem personal sometimes.

The West Virginia AD's comments at the time would seem to back that up.

Wait, one question that he *has* to answer honestly?

I would totally ask him to fully detail all of the "gray area" things he has witnessed, permitted or caused within the program over the past 40 years.

I mean, you guys wouldn't want to hear him recount the McCroskey punch, Michael "the hammer" Edwards, DeShaun/Shumpert, Conrad McCrae's street payments, etc?

You want to ask him about overrated coaches?!
Well. Yeah.

But I consistently make bad choices.

I’d you had to do it over and with MCW struggling would you have let Triche be the lead guard sooner versus Michigan in 2013?

Yes, calling players 50+ times is undoubtedly a bad offense. Particularly when you know it's a violation and do it anyway. This isn't opinion. Jay admitted to it.

Is it worse than what you've laid out?

Well, your internship argument is a misrepresentation. They were football players and it was an academic credit issue, not a payment issue.

The Y paid 3 football players and 2 basketball players $8,000 over a 14 month period. That's about $28.60/week per player.

Yes, I'd say it's a lot worse.

Yes, calling players 50+ times is undoubtedly a bad offense. Particularly when you know it's a violation and do it anyway. This isn't opinion. Jay admitted to it.

Well, your internship argument is a misrepresentation. They were football players and it was an academic credit issue, not a payment issue.

The Y paid 3 football players and 2 basketball players $8,000 over a 14 month period. That's about $28.60/week per player.

I don't know anything about the Villanova matter. I don't care. My point is that, based on my memory of the allegations, you and a lot of others misrepresent the YMCA violations.

Now it's been about four years since I've seen that document. I don't aim to misrepresent anything. But this is my recollection:

Student-athletes received course credit for a YMCA internship.
The same student athletes received money for the same YMCA internship.

How much and over what time period is not relevant, of course.

If I got any of the facts wrong, I apologize.

When people complain that Coach K can only win because he is stacked with talent, how do you explain his success with the US Olympic team? Is that due to your help behind the scenes?

Look at it this way - would 50 calls to recruits during a dead period when no other coaches are calling give you an advantage in recruiting? I think so.

What recruit that you lost hurt the most? My guess would be Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson or Marbury,

What recruit that you lost hurt the most? My guess would be Sam Perkins, Kenny Anderson or Marbury,
Jamal Mashburn may be one. He would've kept us rolling after Owens.