If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

If you listen to JB he thinks we can win games….eventually

You should tell JB that, then, bc even JB has been sitting him when the he gets picked up full court and keeps having issues getting the ball up the court.

The kid isn’t a PG.

Every one of the last four teams we’ve played have hunted Joe bringing the ball up the court because of his lack of ability in that respect.
He is as much of a point guard as GMac was when he played. They are exactly the same. That didn't turn out so bad. Not saying this season will be like 2003, but GMac didn't really show much improvements over his 4 years, Joe has. Sometimes it is simply who is around you, GMac had a ton of help, Joe has some, but not the quality of ball handlers. How many times did Pace have to bring the ball up?

He is as much of a point guard as GMac was when he played. They are exactly the same. That didn't turn out so bad. Not saying this season will be like 2003, but GMac didn't really show much improvements over his 4 years, Joe has. Sometimes it is simply who is around you, GMac had a ton of help, Joe has some, but not the quality of ball handlers. How many times did Pace have to bring the ball up?

GMac had much more talent and was a better athlete than JGIII, I don’t care what he won at Glens Falls.

If you check my post history, you’ll see I do not blindly support GMac by any means.

These two are not the same players. GMac could play PG as needed and was a combo guard. JGIII is not a PG.

Yes, Gerry definitely had more talent around him. Let’s do this exercise: if GMac is on this team (w/ JGIII), he starts and rarely, if ever, comes out.

If JGIII is on the 2003 team (w/ GMac) he doesn’t see the court.

Either he’s blowing smoke or he’s dumber than our fans. I know the posts here will most certainly say he’s dumber.

Again, not saying we will be great(even though people claim I said that in a different thread), but based on JB’s press conference he thinks we can win games and be competitive.

Curious to see how that happens. I do think the third game when we play our starters 40 hurt us yesterday especially with Buddy and Joe having absolutely zero legs.

Edwards and Buddy need to be the foundation. We need more out of Benny and the defense at least needs to get to somewhat average.

I still say we end up with at least 18 or 19 wins. This Is the same spot we were in the past 4 of the past seasons and we finished with 19, 18, 18 and 20 wins.
But, despite the fact that I think the team will improve and can win a couple a couple games in the tourney if they get in, I also get the fanbase frustration.

It has been 7 years, and will likely be 8, since we were a protected seed. Prior to this stretch, the longest stretch was 4 years...departure of Louie and Bouie until Pearl, and departure of Wallace and Z until senior years of Hart, Thomas and Blackwell. And in those two four-year stretches, we were art last a 5 and a 6. The highest seed we've been in the last 7 years is a 9.

The program has simply not been at the same level, over the last seven years, as it was over the prior 38.

And although there were certainly extenuating circumstances for the dry spell, those are now over and the expectation is that we get back to what we used to be.

And, right now, it just doesn't look like we are close.

But, despite the fact that I think the team will improve and can win a couple a couple games in the tourney if they get in, I also get the fanbase frustration.

It has been 7 years, and will likely be 8, since we were a protected seed. Prior to this stretch, the longest stretch was 4 years...departure of Louie and Bouie until Pearl, and departure of Wallace and Z until senior years of Hart, Thomas and Blackwell. And in those two four-year stretches, we were art last a 5 and a 6. The highest seed we've been in the last 7 years is a 9.

The program has simply not been at the same level, over the last seven years, as it was over the prior 38.

And although there were certainly extenuating circumstances for the dry spell, those are now over and the expectation is that we get back to what we used to be.

And, right now, it just doesn't look like we are close.
That Atlantis tournament was loaded with teams that will make elite 8 and final 4 runs. I watched VCU, an unknown team, and they looked like a serious team. In the first 38 years the early part of the season was a lot of pushovers, Colgate was one of them but they are now a tough mid-major.

I mean... I would rather not have our team be like the 2016-2017 team that missed the tournament. Sure, I understand the similarities between them (incredibly porous on defense, very capable of getting hot on offense with a guy who often bailed out the team with tough shots, i.e. White/Boeheim.)
That 2016-17 team was bad on defense, but right now this team is worse. We are rated around 156(!!) in KenPom defensive efficiency, and I believe that's the worst among all P5 teams. That's insane for a coach like JB who greatly values defense. The one glimmer of hope is that with JB at the helm and a number of players still learning the intricacies of the zone (Jimmy, Cole, Benny, Symir), you've got to believe we improve on that number. We did in 2016-17 as the season wore on, but not enough. Right now, Notre Dame is 80 in KenPom defensive efficiency with a lot of slow, less athletic dudes on the roster as per usual, so you hope as this Cuse team gains experience, we can at least improve into that territory. That would help us in maybe, possibly being able to push to compete for an NCAA tourney berth or at least get on the bubble. We'll see. We need to play a great game tomorrow and beat Indiana (top 30 in KenPom) because that would be a very good non-conference win that will help tremendously with our resume in March.

Yeah, I suppose this is a good point - I don't have a full picture on the ACC yet. Perhaps there are a lot of really, really bad teams - and that does play into our hands a bit. Especially if we can play those ones twice!
Yay! We suck less! We suck less!

JB has surprised us in the past despite his stubborn refusal to change. If he doesn’t get us in The Tournament this year; time and the sport have passed him bye. Just saying.

We only have a stretch four/five when Jimmy is in. Post up two all game, and play 3-4 on 5 offensively for 12 minutes a game, to better our defense is not a stretch. The problem is nobody can offensive board outside Edwards yet, and we don't have a second forward who can handle the rock to go with one of our forwards up top. I am beginning to feel Kadary's D up top was our biggest loss. We can make do with 3 defensive players in a triangle, but not 2. Right now we have Edwards, but Cole is getting there imo, and Benny is starting to double inside a lot. Problem is that isn't a triangle on Defense.

Symir doesn't appear to me to jump high enough to rebound at the 3. Would love to see Jimmy get another 10 inches on his rebound and floater game by march, he's already packing the paint on his side.

Last edited:
We only have a stretch four/five when Jimmy is in. Post up two all game, and play 3-4 on 5 offensively for 12 minutes a game, to better our defense is not a stretch. The problem is nobody can offensive board outside Edwards yet, and we don't have a second forward who can handle the rock to go with one of our forwards up top. I am beginning to feel Kadary's D up top was our biggest loss. We can make do with 3 defensive players in a triangle, but not 2. Right now we have Edwards, but Cole is getting there imo, and Benny is starting to double inside a lot. Problem is that isn't a triangle on Defense.

Symir doesn't appear to me to jump high enough to rebound at the 3. Would love to see Jimmy get another 10 inches on his rebound and floater game by march, he's already packing the paint on his side.

This triangle stuff is blowing my mind.

Either he’s blowing smoke or he’s dumber than our fans. I know the posts here will most certainly say he’s dumber.

Again, not saying we will be great(even though people claim I said that in a different thread), but based on JB’s press conference he thinks we can win games and be competitive.

Curious to see how that happens. I do think the third game when we play our starters 40 hurt us yesterday especially with Buddy and Joe having absolutely zero legs.

Edwards and Buddy need to be the foundation. We need more out of Benny and the defense at least needs to get to somewhat average.

I still say we end up with at least 18 or 19 wins. This Is the same spot we were in the past 4 of the past seasons and we finished with 19, 18, 18 and 20 wins.
The only way we can develop this team is if everyone starts religiously working out with the “Jimmy shoes “

Attachments

• 54126464-4B03-4B23-8E75-7BFC4D65F076.jpeg
    54126464-4B03-4B23-8E75-7BFC4D65F076.jpeg
    686.7 KB · Views: 58
I think what we are seeing is a team with "better" fundamentals and more experience than in recent past.
We are close to our ceiling as a team...as opposed to having to wait for roles to be defined and significant player development. We've been waiting for Jessie and he's here. JG is in year 3. Buddy year 4 as are Swider and Jr.
This is a team that, yes, is limited athletically which means it has to maintain focus/intensity.
Cuse cannot allow large leads like Colgate and IU to disintegrate often. We might shoot lights out the first 25 minutes and then cool off. Got to pay attention to defensive rotations and rebounding when the 3s go cold.

Tomorrow is HUGE!!!! Can’t wait to be back in MSG.

Tomorrow to me is all about Jesse and Cole. Purdue went to their big men all game against Nova and Nova could do nothing to slow down their big 7-4 guy. Jesse isn't 7-4 but he is a legit 7 footer who catches and finishes up high. If we want to spring the upset gotta use our size all game and force them to double or shade a defender to try and front Jesse so that looks open up for our shooters. Also this would be a great game to use Cole inside the arc more as well and try to establish some interior passing.

Tomorrow to me is all about Jesse and Cole. Purdue went to their big men all game against Nova and Nova could do nothing to slow down their big 7-4 guy. Jesse isn't 7-4 but he is a legit 7 footer who catches and finishes up high. If we want to spring the upset gotta use our size all game and force them to double or shade a defender to try and front Jesse so that looks open up for our shooters. Also this would be a great game to use Cole inside the arc more as well and try to establish some interior passing.
Entirely agree , Jesse will go off and we need Cole to can those open looks. He gets so many, I'm constantly saying "why didnt he shoot that" and after he doesnt shoot it something bad happens. Lydon use to do that.

He is as much of a point guard as GMac was when he played. They are exactly the same. That didn't turn out so bad.
not to go too far off-topic here...and i really liked gmac as player (so much heart just like jg3) and i agree about the similarity. (are people really trying to say the comp is off here?!?! really?)

but i disagree about the fit of that type of player in this system. and thats the key.

gmac's senior year was some insane big east tourney heroics away from missing the ncaa tournament. his will was outta this world.

but his shooting % went down every year. 40%fg and 37% 3 freshman year with carmelo - to 35%fg and 33% from 3 as a senior. 35% fg is pretty low...I remember that season...and it was ugly.

i feel like it is very similar to what we see with players like cooney, triche, gmac, jg3...once you are "proven" to JB thats it...its your spot basically. and if a freshman does it...that means as a fan you gotta wait 4/5 years to see another player at that position.

when its a solid player but not an nba caliber prospect...its kind of a limbo for the team...its good but also kinda lowers the ceiling in a way...

i think once they won the title with carmelo - gerry was gonna start for as long as he was eligible no matter what.

I like JG3 - he has gotten a bit better - but dont want him as the starting PG of the Orange...and I've felt exactly the same about it since his freshman year.

That Atlantis tournament was loaded with teams that will make elite 8 and final 4 runs. I watched VCU, an unknown team, and they looked like a serious team. In the first 38 years the early part of the season was a lot of pushovers, Colgate was one of them but they are now a tough mid-major.

Wrong - they are God awful - stop making excuses -

Wrong - they are God awful - stop making excuses -
They are not God awful. It’s basically the same team that was ranked 9th in NET heading into the tournament last year and had a 14-point lead on Arkansas.

Just because they were cupcakes on our schedule for 50+ years doesn’t mean they’re scrubs now.

They are not God awful. It’s basically the same team that was ranked 9th in NET heading into the tournament last year and had a 14-point lead on Arkansas.
But how is what they accomplished last year (9th in NET, 14 point lead vs. Arkansas) a better indicator of who Colgate is as a team compared to what they have accomplished over the past two weeks (three straight losses to Harvard, Niagara and Northeastern after dropping a C-Note on us)?

But how is what they accomplished last year (9th in NET, 14 point lead vs. Arkansas) a better indicator of who Colgate is as a team compared to what they have accomplished over the past two weeks (three straight losses to Harvard, Niagara and Northeastern after dropping a C-Note on us)?
How is a large sample size a better indicator than a small sample size?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom