IL's 2021 Men's Tewaaraton Watch — First Look | Syracusefan.com

IL's 2021 Men's Tewaaraton Watch — First Look

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Chase Scanlan, A, Syracuse or Jamie Trimboli, M, Syracuse​

The Orange got off to a dominant start to last season en route to being named as the Inside Lacrosse Media Poll’s final No. 1-ranked team before the season’s curtains were pulled. That was thanks in large part due to this supremely talented duo. After transferring over from Loyola, Chase Scanlan lead the team in goals (18) and points (23) in 2020 as Syracuse’s new No. 22. Trimboli is the leader of college lacrosse’s best first-line midfield unit, and alongside Brendan Curry and Tucker Dordevic, Syracuse’s 2021 title chase won’t come without major production from these two.

I think the "first look' should be after 4 games are in the books, then you start to see who is good consistently.
Also, I think Wisnauskas has a shot at the 40-40 club. Don't understand the snub.

With all of these elite attackmen out there, I can't possibly see them giving it to a middie barring a truly historic season. I'm just not sure middies do enough anymore to garner Tewaaraton love. I mean Zach Currier did absolutely everything and never even sniffed these lists. Not saying he wasn't deserving, but that just isn't how people view the Tewaaraton these days.

A lot of these guys haven't played yet but early on it certainly looks like it may end up being Gray vs. Sowers. I would have put Matt Moore in there but with Payton Cormier's continued emergence, he may steal a lot of the production away from Moore to the point where they are both very, very good, but neither quite Tewaaraton candidates.

Nichtern is a good player but Army just doesn't score enough. I'd love to see that kid in a better overall offense.

O'Keefe is the best shooter in the world but without Ament I'd be very surprised if he's able to put up Tewaaraton level numbers. Still an All-American, but not going to be in the Tewy mix this year if you ask me.

Epstein could be a dark horse if Hop is better than expected, because that kid is the real deal and is back healthy. But I doubt his team will be good enough by the end of the year for him to end up in serious contention. Maybe in 2022.

With all of these elite attackmen out there, I can't possibly see them giving it to a middie barring a truly historic season. I'm just not sure middies do enough anymore to garner Tewaaraton love. I mean Zach Currier did absolutely everything and never even sniffed these lists. Not saying he wasn't deserving, but that just isn't how people view the Tewaaraton these days.

A lot of these guys haven't played yet but early on it certainly looks like it may end up being Gray vs. Sowers. I would have put Matt Moore in there but with Payton Cormier's continued emergence, he may steal a lot of the production away from Moore to the point where they are both very, very good, but neither quite Tewaaraton candidates.

Nichtern is a good player but Army just doesn't score enough. I'd love to see that kid in a better overall offense.

O'Keefe is the best shooter in the world but without Ament I'd be very surprised if he's able to put up Tewaaraton level numbers. Still an All-American, but not going to be in the Tewy mix this year if you ask me.

Epstein could be a dark horse if Hop is better than expected, because that kid is the real deal and is back healthy. But I doubt his team will be good enough by the end of the year for him to end up in serious contention. Maybe in 2022.
Agreed. Several outstanding attackmen this season. Don't really see a Syracuse player getting it (surprised to see them listed), they are very good players but play in a system that shares the ball. Really love Epstein's game, happy to hear that he is healthy. If Hop gets better defensive and goalie play I think they surprise some people. They can score goals. Gray is the very early leader, he runs the offense in Chapel Hill and is very comfortable with his team mates. Sowers is outstanding, but doesn't look as settled in with Duke's offense. Against Denver, Duke was initiating a lot from the midfield and not with Sowers. Of course that can change, but it was a real headscratcher.

I was watching this preview on the Michigan site
and Coach Conry was saying he felt Zawada was in the top 3 attackmen in the Big Ten.

I don't know if that is really true this year, but it might well be true next year.

I was watching this preview on the Michigan site
and Coach Conry was saying he felt Zawada was in the top 3 attackmen in the Big Ten.

I don't know if that is really true this year, but it might well be true next year.

Certainly a coaches job to hype their players, but there are a lot of good attackmen in the Big 10. Feels like O’Keefe, Bernhardt and Wisnaukus would be close to a consensus top 3, then you have if he’s healthy Joey Epstein, and Chamberlidis and Mullins from Rutgers. Maybe Holden or Brown from MD. He certainly looks to be the future but I think you’d take some of the names listed above him first.

Certainly a coaches job to hype their players, but there are a lot of good attackmen in the Big 10. Feels like O’Keefe, Bernhardt and Wisnaukus would be close to a consensus top 3, then you have if he’s healthy Joey Epstein, and Chamberlidis and Mullins from Rutgers. Maybe Holden or Brown from MD. He certainly looks to be the future but I think you’d take some of the names listed above him first.
Also Tre LeClaire from OSU has made some All-American lists.

Of course, Conry has been watching Zawada's development, which I get to watch on saturday as Michigan plays at Maryland.