IL's 2023 Impact Freshmen | Syracusefan.com

IL's 2023 Impact Freshmen

Powellfan

Renowned lacrosse analyst
30. Michael Leo, M, Syracuse (9G, 3A in 9 games)

6. Finn Thomson, M, Syracuse (12G, 11A in 9 games) - "For a freshman middie in the ACC, 20 points in a season is the benchmark for a really, really good season. Potentially historic. To do it in a half season? To do it in a way that’s as balanced as Thomson has done? Wow."

2. Joey Spallina, A, Syracuse (23G, 17A in 9 games) - "A lot was made of Spallina’s 1-for-15 shooting debut, but he’s up to 34% on the year, and when it comes to playing under control, the most impressive aspect of his resumé is that he’s committed just 12 turnovers, never committing more than two TOs in a game."

Richard Checo from Lehigh is number 1 for what its worth.

6. Finn Thomson, M, Syracuse (12G, 11A in 9 games) - "For a freshman middie in the ACC, 20 points in a season is the benchmark for a really, really good season. Potentially historic. To do it in a half season? To do it in a way that’s as balanced as Thomson has done? Wow."

2. Joey Spallina, A, Syracuse (23G, 17A in 9 games) - "A lot was made of Spallina’s 1-for-15 shooting debut, but he’s up to 34% on the year, and when it comes to playing under control, the most impressive aspect of his resumé is that he’s committed just 12 turnovers, never committing more than two TOs in a game."

Richard Checo from Lehigh is number 1 for what its worth.

40 points for Spallina with 6 games left is pretty flippin good. Brennan ONeil had 55 pts as a freshman. Spallina is on track to eclipse that.

I think it's pretty cool that 4 - SSDM are on the list. Note to kids, you can make a living at it and get on the field early.

29. Dan Anderson, SSDM, Denver (8GB, 4CT in 7 games)
28. Joaquin Villagomez, A, Towson (14G in 7 games)
27. Blake Eiland, SSDM, Ohio State (1G, 2A, 9GB, 1CT in 8 games)
26. Michael Meyer, A, Bucknell (11G, 7A in 7 games)
25. Leif Hagerup, SSDM, Carolina (1G, 1A, 5GB, 2CT in 9 games)
24. Carson Brown, LSM, Johns Hopkins (11GB, 9CT in 10 games)
23. Michael Schafer, D, Manhattan (9GB, 9CT in 7 games)
22. John Sullivan, D, Army (19GB, 2CT in 7 games
21. Teddy Malone, A, Harvard (10G, 3A in 5 games)
20. Max LaTorre, LSM, Dartmouth (1A, 9GB, 8CT in 6 games)
19. Eric Kolar, SSDM, Maryland (1G, 7GB in 7 games)
18. Will Donovan, LSM, Notre Dame (11GB, 5CT in 6 games)
17. Charlie Muller, D, Harvard (1A, 16GB, 6CT in 6 games)
16. Will Consoli, M, Fairfield (15G, 5A in 8 games)
15. Brendan Staub, LSM, Cornell (17GB, 6CT in 6 games)
14. Quinn Nolan, FO, St. Bonaventure (2G, 56.6%, 45GB in 8 games)
13. Emmett Paradine, M, Dartmouth (14G, 6A in 6 games)
12. Johnny Hackett, M, Bryant (21G, 6A in 7 games)

it is interesting how many of these guys were not top ranked recruits. Only 4 of the top 20 were on IL's preseason rankings and two of those guys cuse. More success with the #20-30 recruits Collison, Leo, Muller, Ruppel. Anyone who had eyes knew collison should have been top 10. Checo was way down at #57

I think it's pretty cool that 4 - SSDM are on the list. Note to kids, you can make a living at it and get on the field early.

29. Dan Anderson, SSDM, Denver (8GB, 4CT in 7 games)
28. Joaquin Villagomez, A, Towson (14G in 7 games)
27. Blake Eiland, SSDM, Ohio State (1G, 2A, 9GB, 1CT in 8 games)
26. Michael Meyer, A, Bucknell (11G, 7A in 7 games)
25. Leif Hagerup, SSDM, Carolina (1G, 1A, 5GB, 2CT in 9 games)
24. Carson Brown, LSM, Johns Hopkins (11GB, 9CT in 10 games)
23. Michael Schafer, D, Manhattan (9GB, 9CT in 7 games)
22. John Sullivan, D, Army (19GB, 2CT in 7 games
21. Teddy Malone, A, Harvard (10G, 3A in 5 games)
20. Max LaTorre, LSM, Dartmouth (1A, 9GB, 8CT in 6 games)
19. Eric Kolar, SSDM, Maryland (1G, 7GB in 7 games)
18. Will Donovan, LSM, Notre Dame (11GB, 5CT in 6 games)
17. Charlie Muller, D, Harvard (1A, 16GB, 6CT in 6 games)
16. Will Consoli, M, Fairfield (15G, 5A in 8 games)
15. Brendan Staub, LSM, Cornell (17GB, 6CT in 6 games)
14. Quinn Nolan, FO, St. Bonaventure (2G, 56.6%, 45GB in 8 games)
13. Emmett Paradine, M, Dartmouth (14G, 6A in 6 games)
12. Johnny Hackett, M, Bryant (21G, 6A in 7 games)
Dan Anderson is from Syracuse CBA. Was also one of the best football players in CNY the last couple of years.

it is interesting how many of these guys were not top ranked recruits. Only 4 of the top 20 were on IL's preseason rankings and two of those guys cuse. More success with the #20-30 recruits Collison, Leo, Muller, Ruppel. Anyone who had eyes knew collison should have been top 10. Checo was way down at #57

It's definitely an inexact science. Looking at the top 10 or so, some players are out for the year (Dom Petro, Riley Figuerias) and some are simply stuck behind some really good players on top teams.

Sunderland is behind the best top six offensive unit in the country at UVA. Ricciardelli is stuck behind a potential All American goalie at Notre Dame (same with McCool at SU). Schaller at MD and Schoeter at UVA are behind veteran defensive units at their respective schools. I think it's accurate for IL to call this an Impact List, there is still plenty of time for some of these highly ranked kids to see playing time and be successful.

Checo being ranked so low is a headscratcher. He was on the perhaps the highest profile team in the country last year at St. John's so it's not like he was a mystery. I watched that St Anthony's game and he was the best player on the field.

Thomson is having a nice year. He definitely deserves to be on the list and is valuable. I’d just be curious to know how many of his points have come on the EMO. I think he’s gonna be really good. Just would like to see him more involved during 6-on-6.

Little surprised Rhoa didn’t make the cut.

Another one of our high profile recruits, Dylan Sageder has been baking up Olexo all year at LSM. Curious if anyone has thoughts on how he’s been? He hasn’t shown much. Im far from the sharpest lacrosse mind, but I’ve been underwhelmed a bit given his playing time. I think our lack of depth at LSM has contributed to our poor FO issues. Joel Whites don’t grow on trees, I get it. But Peter McCartney, Scott Firman, Matt Harris, Jared Fernandez all recent LSMs that have been good on the wings. Need to get back to that

Quite a few of the freshman big names are hardly even seeing the field right now. Meanwhile Spallina has the 6th most points in the nation. I do feel like there is room for improvement to his game, even some areas where I almost feel surprised he is not a little better, but you take a step back and realize that he is doing a lot at a high level already. As they mention he has been efficient after the first game and limits turnovers. His unselfishness has been down right impressive, especially when you consider the hype surrounding him. The feeding ability is truly next level. Only game of his I would say was bad besides the first one was his performance against Hop, but a lot of guys had shooting troubles that day and he still had some really nice feeds.

The main area I would like to see improvement from him is his shot from range. Hiltz gets an open look on the left wing from 12 yards out and you may as well have the two fogos start jogging out there for the next faceoff. Same could be said for a few other guys on our team. Not quite the case yet with Spallina and he has the talent to get to that level. Needs to have more in his arsenal when it comes to being deceptive with the shot location, changing levels, and the speed on his shots from range. Lower competition, but I like that we have seen some nice underhand risers from him in the past couple games. He can clearly release the ball quickly and is already pretty darn elite at catching and finishing in close.

Having a guy like Hiltz to give him guidance is a big help. I dont think it is a long term concern but there is room for improvement there. We have seen plenty of guys have big improvements in their shooting as they get older. Dordevic and Rehfuss come to mind. If the role that he is carving out for himself is sort of half way between QB and off ball facilitator, then the shooting/finishing has to be lights out.

I would figure Brian Ruppel was the #1 impact freshman so far this season. The UVa game was such a major game. Ruppel also had a nice 14 save to 5 goal performance against Princeton, and did fairly well against ND.

O'Neill played in 17 games to get his 55 points as a freshman.

I would figure Brian Ruppel was the #1 impact freshman so far this season. The UVa game was such a major game. Ruppel also had a nice 14 save to 5 goal performance against Princeton, and did fairly well against ND.

O'Neill played in 17 games to get his 55 points as a freshman.
Of course you would

Of course, you'd go with Spallina.
And not surprisingly IL would go with some guy from Lehigh at #1.
Offense wins games while defense and goaltending can only steal games. Outside of historically significant statistical seasons, an offensive player should be valued slightly more than a defensive player, at least arguably so. Checo seems to be in the midst of something really special, so 1 seems appropriate. Spallina has put up a ton of points, hasn’t translated to team success (not completely in his hands), so 2 seems appropriate. Ruppel, while an excellent goaltender thus far, has only played in four games. Four very impactful games, as the season could have derailed, but I feel the relatively small body of work harms him (as well as having a better returning cast, but even veterans make mistakes), so 3 seems more appropriate relative to the Army midfielder Plunkett in my opinion. Again I think full season helps Plunkett versus Ruppel in ILs mind.

Offense wins games while defense and goaltending can only steal games. Outside of historically significant statistical seasons, an offensive player should be valued slightly more than a defensive player, at least arguably so. Checo seems to be in the midst of something really special, so 1 seems appropriate. Spallina has put up a ton of points, hasn’t translated to team success (not completely in his hands), so 2 seems appropriate. Ruppel, while an excellent goaltender thus far, has only played in four games. Four very impactful games, as the season could have derailed, but I feel the relatively small body of work harms him (as well as having a better returning cast, but even veterans make mistakes), so 3 seems more appropriate relative to the Army midfielder Plunkett in my opinion. Again I think full season helps Plunkett versus Ruppel in ILs mind.
I can't say that I agree with much of what you say.
For one thing Army has played a relatively weak schedule with Wagner, Mercer, Lafayette, and Holy Cross among their 7 games. Plunkett scored 17 of his 24 points in those 4 games. Even when you look at the other 3 teams: UMass, Rutgers, and Lehigh - UMass and Lehigh are not top 20 teams.

Lehigh has games against Fairfield, Hobart, Navy, Binghamton, and Holy Cross among their 7 games.

I don't know that games against a large number of weak teams should be held as a plus for them over Ruppel.

For one thing Army has played a relatively weak schedule with Wagner, Mercer, Lafayette, and Holy Cross among their 7 games. Plunkett scored 17 of his 24 points in those 4 games. Even when you look at the other 3 teams: UMass, Rutgers, and Lehigh - UMass and Lehigh are not top 20 teams.

Lehigh has games against Fairfield, Hobart, Navy, Binghamton, and Holy Cross among their 7 games.

I don't know that games against a large number of weak teams should be held as a plus for them over Ruppel.
25% of ruppel's starts have come against albany

princeton isn't very good this year either

ruppel was great against uva, obviously had that terrific sequence at the end, but wasn't so great against notre dame. below 50% and outplayed by his counterpart. in a triple overtime game that was important

you will find a way to skew anything towards maryland. he's lucky evan zinn can't shoot

Maybe having a stout defense with multiple AAs impacted his ranking? The kid is playing extremely well. Seems like the Terps have another legit goalie, but with a limited sample size.

Last edited:

I like Checos game but the level of play that some of the others have played against isn’t close.

25% of ruppel's starts have come against albany

ruppel was great against uva, obviously had that terrific sequence at the end, but wasn't so great against notre dame. below 50% and outplayed by his counterpart. in a triple overtime game that was important

you will find a way to skew anything towards maryland. he's lucky evan zinn can't shoot
Notre Dame is the #1 team. Ruppel had 12 saves to 13 goals allowed. 3 of those saves were in ot - allowing it to go to triple overtime and given Maryland several more chances. Entenman had 14 saves and is considered one of the best in the game. Maryland doesn't have great shooters this year.

I don't know that your last statement is close to being true. I'll stick up for UMd players when I feel they aren't getting a fair shake, and explain why I am doing it.

Maybe having a stout defense with multiple AAs impacted his ranking? The kid is playing extremely well. Seems like the Terps have another legit goalie, but with a limited sample size.
Could be true. Although, Inside Lacrosse has tended to de-value Maryland players in such rankings over the years.

Quite a few of the freshman big names are hardly even seeing the field right now. Meanwhile Spallina has the 6th most points in the nation. I do feel like there is room for improvement to his game, even some areas where I almost feel surprised he is not a little better, but you take a step back and realize that he is doing a lot at a high level already. As they mention he has been efficient after the first game and limits turnovers. His unselfishness has been down right impressive, especially when you consider the hype surrounding him. The feeding ability is truly next level. Only game of his I would say was bad besides the first one was his performance against Hop, but a lot of guys had shooting troubles that day and he still had some really nice feeds.

The main area I would like to see improvement from him is his shot from range. Hiltz gets an open look on the left wing from 12 yards out and you may as well have the two fogos start jogging out there for the next faceoff. Same could be said for a few other guys on our team. Not quite the case yet with Spallina and he has the talent to get to that level. Needs to have more in his arsenal when it comes to being deceptive with the shot location, changing levels, and the speed on his shots from range. Lower competition, but I like that we have seen some nice underhand risers from him in the past couple games. He can clearly release the ball quickly and is already pretty darn elite at catching and finishing in close.

Having a guy like Hiltz to give him guidance is a big help. I dont think it is a long term concern but there is room for improvement there. We have seen plenty of guys have big improvements in their shooting as they get older. Dordevic and Rehfuss come to mind. If the role that he is carving out for himself is sort of half way between QB and off ball facilitator, then the shooting/finishing has to be lights out.
His hs moves do not work as well in D1. I've noticed big long sticks can throw him around. When double teamed he looks like someone put him in a washing machine as he spins to the ground. He needs more heft and strength which will come in the next three years. Look at him next to Kirst and Simmons. Both could be his dad, in size and strength I mean. And with all that he is a player.

Ruppel has been given proper credit in my opinion. Four games out of an eligible seven games reduces the impact. A game cannot end zero to zero. Offense simply, from that standpoint alone, wins games. Defense and goaltending can only steal a game (ie stopping a game tying goal) and therefore, arguably, is less impactful than offense.

Ruppel has been given proper credit in my opinion. Four games out of an eligible seven games reduces the impact. A game cannot end zero to zero. Offense simply, from that standpoint alone, wins games. Defense and goaltending can only steal a game (ie stopping a game tying goal) and therefore, arguably, is less impactful than offense.
You are right, games don't end 0-0, so there is no point considering it.
But let us look at another simple model, your offense has the ability to score 10 against an opponent, if your defense holds them to 8 you win, if your defense lets them score 12 you lose.

Hm. Princeton beat Yale 23-10 today.

It's good for you that people are required to pick up after their dogs, because you seem to step in do-do alot.

You are right, games don't end 0-0, so there is no point considering it.
But let us look at another simple model, your offense has the ability to score 10 against an opponent, if your defense holds them to 8 you win, if your defense lets them score 12 you lose.
0-0 or X-X, you do the math. Games don’t end in ties. The premise of modern lacrosse is to score goals. Goals win games. The result of the game is based on the number of goals scored. A save does not put a point on the board. If you have perfect textbook defense, stop every shot, the result of the game still hinges on the offense putting up one more goal than the other teams offense. That is why an offensive player will always be weighed more on a list like this than a defensive player, again outside of historic or borderline historic statistical seasons. Regarding Plunkett, Army is winning games. Plunkett didn’t shoot well today but had four assists Plunkett’s success has translated to team success.

Hm. Princeton beat Yale 23-10 today.

It's good for you that people are required to pick up after their dogs, because you seem to step in do-do alot.
yale is even worse. there, easy! i love that you rush to defend a team maryland has beat though. everything you say is an attempt to make maryland look better. everything!!! don't know why u do it here on a cuse board. nobody here cares

Howdy folks - What do you do when you have an irrational obsession with college lax and a little free time? You see if some random lax twitter accusation is BS or not of course! Some twitter people are saying that Lehigh LSM Checo may have inflated Caused Turnover stats. This is based on him having an insanely high amount (30+) and Craig Chick, former Lehigh LSM, also having insane numbers during his career, which some see as potential for a trend of stat inflation. There is a Navy v Lehigh game on youtube and the stats claim he had 5 CTs in the game. Its just one game, but I thought why not take a look at the tape and see if there are any signs of shady stat behavior. Clicked around to when Navy had the ball.

What I found was that first off, Lehigh has one heck of an LSM in Checo, and second, there was...almost(!) definitely no real attempt at cooking the books by the Lehigh stat people in this one. Here are when the CTs happen:

1st CT – 1:31 1st quarter -takes it cleanly from middie

2nd CT – 14:03 2nd quarter -trail check and grabs gb

POTENTIAL not actual CT – 8:50 2nd quarter - guy on navy hounded by Checo throws the ball out of bounds

3rd CT – 2:58 2nd quarter - Yard sale - and then forces it out of another guys stick right after to send it the other way. Could maybe count as two CTs but not sure.

4th CT – 1:08 3rd quarter – does it count if another Navy guy picks up the ball immediately after? I believe it does.

5th CT – 13:16 4th quarter- guy loses it in scrum first and Checo just cleans up after, but still a clear CT

So basically I do not know the rule on if you on if you get the ball on the ground and another guy on the opposing team picks it up. If that happens is it not considered a CT? If so then maybe the 4th one would be struck from the record. BUT there were also at least two other instances where an additional CT could have been rewarded. Would say at least in this game there are no major signs of foul play. Could have easily been counted at 6 or maybe 7 in this game. And more importantly, Checo looks like the type of guy who could have 30 cts on the season in March. Reminds me of Jack Rowlett in that he is always going for big takeaway checks but also maintains good positioning. Will be a force to deal with for years to come. Those accusing Lehigh should watch the tape!