I'm going to Defend JB | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

I'm going to Defend JB

If JB had the infrastructure around him like Coach K does at Duke he would have more NCs than he does.
JB would do more with talent.
The problem is he doesn’t get the talent.
So he is stuck square pegging into round holes.
Part of his job is to get talent.
That is on him.
Benny is a nice player at best he replaces what QG is doing this year and I don’t think he will as a freshman.

Where are WN minutes going to come from.

We can’t really have MD and AG both come back.

Will be interesting to see who is here. I’m not even considering guys like MD who have played their 4 full years. If it happens, great. But just looking at it traditionally...

G- Kadary, Buddy, Joe
F - QG, AG, Benny, Woody, Bras
C- Frank, Jesse, JBA

That’s a loaded team if the centers can be adequate and the G/F minutes are handled correctly. IMO, that’s a “if everything goes right” near the top of the ACC type roster.

It’s also a roster where playing all the starters 35+ and playing the same starting 5 combo together for entire halves would be a completely nonsensical idea, even moreso than now. You’d have to really mix and match and play the hot hand, and slide guys like AG and Woody to the 2 at times to get the most out of the squad. 4 of the top 6 players on the team would be forwards.

Will be interesting to see who is here. I’m not even considering guys like MD who have played their 4 full years. If it happens, great. But just looking at it traditionally...

G- Kadary, Buddy, Joe
C- Frank, Jesse, JBA

That’s a loaded team if the centers can be adequate and the G/F minutes are handled correctly. IMO, that’s a “if everything goes right” near the top of the ACC type roster.

It’s also a roster where playing all the starters 35+ and playing the same starting 5 combo together for entire halves would be a completely nonsensical idea, even moreso than now. You’d have to really mix and match and play the hot hand, and slide guys like AG and Woody to the 2 at times to get the most out of the squad. 4 of the top 6 players on the team would be forwards.
(educated) guessing - remove QG and one of Woody/Bras... think there's maybe a chance Marek comes back for one more year

(educated) guessing - remove QG and one of Woody/Bras... think there's maybe a chance Marek comes back for one more year

Yeah, it’s hard to know. Quincy could go because he’s had a great season so far and is older for his class. But he’s also not really getting much hype yet as a prospect and it’s possible he comes back(much like Battle did as a junior in similar circumstances).

Just looking at it from the outside, I’d be bummed if Woody leaves. He was really impressive when he got time early on. Looks like he can shoot, finish strong at the rim, and defend. Big time potential IMO, and seemingly a classic Syracuse forward.

I like Braswell too for his defense and potential to hit the 3, but he’s older and has less upside IMO so I wouldn’t be as bothered there, especially if the position is crowded.

I really do get the sense that AG would go if he could. He often plays like he’s auditioning, and IMO that was probably part of the deal with him coming here - he wanted a chance to show he can do more offensively than he got at Illinois. And for all the holes and maddening inconsistencies in his game, I do think he has NBA potential and could see him catching on as a prospect that gets drafted. But he could be back as he is clearly not there yet, but could have a monster year at Cuse next year and blow up. Just like his play from game to game so far - nothing would surprise me.

He also stated that if Sidibe was/is able to play, this would be a strong team. He supported and was "friends" with Jim when the times were good, but now the going is tough and well, see ya.
jeff goldblum i don't know what to say.gif

Wnj
Yeah, it’s hard to know. Quincy could go because he’s had a great season so far and is older for his class. But he’s also not really getting much hype yet as a prospect and it’s possible he comes back(much like Battle did as a junior in similar circumstances).

Just looking at it from the outside, I’d be bummed if Woody leaves. He was really impressive when he got time early on. Looks like he can shoot, finish strong at the rim, and defend. Big time potential IMO, and seemingly a classic Syracuse forward.

I like Braswell too for his defense and potential to hit the 3, but he’s older and has less upside IMO so I wouldn’t be as bothered there, especially if the position is crowded.

I really do get the sense that AG would go if he could. He often plays like he’s auditioning, and IMO that was probably part of the deal with him coming here - he wanted a chance to show he can do more offensively than he got at Illinois. And for all the holes and maddening inconsistencies in his game, I do think he has NBA potential and could see him catching on as a prospect that gets drafted. But he could be back as he is clearly not there yet, but could have a monster year at Cuse next year and blow up. Just like his play from game to game so far - nothing would surprise me
Which is why playing AG at the 2 should be part of the rotation.
I mean he can play 5-10 MPG at the 2 and we become more athletic as a team.
AG is actually shooting better than Buddy this season.

I really do get the sense that AG would go if he could. He often plays like he’s auditioning, and IMO that was probably part of the deal with him coming here - he wanted a chance to show he can do more offensively than he got at Illinois. And for all the holes and maddening inconsistencies in his game, I do think he has NBA potential and could see him catching on as a prospect that gets drafted. But he could be back as he is clearly not there yet, but could have a monster year at Cuse next year and blow up. Just like his play from game to game so far - nothing would surprise me.

So many of the guys we have that "go" early are AAAA types.

Wnj

Which is why playing AG at the 2 should be part of the rotation.
I mean he can play 5-10 MPG at the 2 and we become more athletic as a team.
AG is actually shooting better than Buddy this season.
Yeah. The same knocks on AG as a 2 “not a ball handler, turnovers, shot selection” pretty much apply to Buddy too.

If Kadary takes the reigns as the main PG/ball handler I think both Buddy and AG would perform better at the two. If Joe is at PG, you need a “combo guard” next to him at the two.

Yeah. The same knocks on AG as a 2 “not a ball handler, turnovers, shot selection” pretty much apply to Buddy too.

If Kadary takes the reigns as the main PG/ball handler I think both Buddy and AG would perform better at the two. If Joe is at PG, you need a “combo guard” next to him at the two.
JB's "rationale" when addressing why no AG at the 2 seems to be "he has trouble with defense at the 3" -
which, of course, is just yet another w_t_f is he even talking about and how does that even apply to the question at hand??

JB's "rationale" when addressing why no AG at the 2 seems to be "he has trouble with defense at the 3" -
which, of course, is just yet another w_t_f is he even talking about and how does that even apply to the question at hand??
Agreed. He’s a better choice than Buddy at the 3, because he’s a better rebounder and jumps higher and sticks his nose in there better.

But both of them are “1980’s twos”...6’5 guys who can shoot, that you don’t want handling the ball much.

and this is not to say I don't think AG should be playing the 3 - with the exception of his positioning lapses he's been very good there, putting up the sort of rebound/block numbers you want from that position of the zone

I don't believe he is old and feeble, his mind is still 100%.
There is no one that is as good as they were at 76 as they were at 56. Now, we are going against younger men in recruiting battles. And every other aspect of coaching. We are at a disadvantage. It is why G-mac got beat for guys. He is recruiting against the Head coaches of other programs for guys our Head coach should be recruiting. There was a picture of JB sound asleep at some hoop event. Do you think you would have seen that 20 years ago?

I think JB is saying Griffin still hasn’t learned what to do on defense in the back of the zone and he doesn’t want to confuse Griffin more by trying to learn the responsibilities of playing the top of the zone as a 2.

I think JB is saying Griffin still hasn’t learned what to do on defense in the back of the zone and he doesn’t want to confuse Griffin more by trying to learn the responsibilities of playing the top of the zone as a 2.
He did it against Rutgers and the other game Buddy missed.
AG can play the 2.
It’s not like our zone is rocket science.

He should be able to play the spot for a couple of minutes or then what the heck is practice for.
We need 4 guards and we offered 1 HS guard this cycle and guess who doesn’t get competition.

Great post.
" Coach why not play our third baseman at Short stop"
JB " He cant hit the slider"

Yes, that's exactly what he said. :rolleyes:

I don't know whether you are King of Moving the Goalposts, or Prince of Strawman Creation.

Maybe both. Kudos.
Those are good. How about Poster Most Deserving of an Extended "Vacation"

LOL It wasn't Camby. He wasn't really a heralded recruit. And he was Cal's all the way. He might have thought Lou Roe who we recruited might come here. But he chose UMass. the probation had nothing to do with that.

especially since Lou was a freshman in the 88/89 season.

G- Kadary, Buddy, Joe
C- Frank, Jesse, JBA

It’s only loaded if you actually PLAY the people on the roster who are best for the team

something has got to be done at the center position DEFENSIVELY! Our interier defense is pathetic! Maybe the worse ive ever seen as a cuse fan, an undermanned NC ST team is manhandling us down low and this is nothing new! Every game is like dejaVu!!
Enough already, ive seen enough from edwards and im sure anselem would be better frankly cause there bigger bodies,just as long and definately more adapt to take the punishment down low!
My frustration level is about to blow cause every game itrs the same ol lineup defensively!
Does he want to win or not! Sometimes i wonder his motives

OFFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM!
DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE! FIX IT DAMN IT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors